+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not an ADDON/API expert, so tell me - can this even be done?

Default Not an ADDON/API expert, so tell me - can this even be done?

What I desperately miss from CITY OF HEROES, more than anything else, was the /demorecord feature.

To clarify what this did, it created a sort of snapshot text file detailing EVERYTHING that was happening in the zone you were in at the time - the PCs and NPCs, powers, emotes, in-game time, FX, EVERYTHING - from the time you started the recording until the time you either stopped it or zoned elsewhere. This text file could then be played back via the client - it changed NOTHING about the game, could be done OFFLINE, and replayed exactly what it had recorded... but the file was EDITABLE.

For example, if I demorecorded Sanctum, I could swap out Cyril Kalmar with Asha Catari... I could rearrange where all the NPCs were... I could put the River of Souls sky in instead of the regular sky... I could turn all the guards Defiant. And so on and so forth.

As for the player characters, I could make them perform ANY emote or movement that existed in the game... give them any armor or weapons I chose... stack as many FX on them as I wanted.

And camera control was entirely separate, so if I wanted to create some of those awesome swooping shots you see in certain RIFT ads (for example, that flyby zigzag over Moonshade from the 1.3 Waves of Madness trailer), I could. (There was a guy I knew in the CoH community who actually wrote a program for me where I could input coordinates and it would map out the xyz coordinates for the camera to use in the demofile.)

And once I had my demofile, I could either play it back via the client and FRAPS it, or better yet, render it frame by frame as JPGs which I then compiled via VirtualDub to make a 60fps smooth-as-silk rendition.

Now... ALL this being said... is there ANY way that something like this could be created as an add-on for RIFT?

(FYI - for those who want to see exactly what something like this made possible in City of Heroes - visit the YouTube link in my profile and look at any of my CoH vids, especially the later ones. I do stuff in those vids that was physically impossible to just FRAPS in the game.)

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Not even remotely possibly in Rift, and definately not possible via the AddOn API.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Plane Walker

Was that an add-on in CoH? That sounds like it was created with the client. I will answer with a no

Quote Originally Posted by Semele View Post
    Not even remotely possibly in Rift, and definately not possible via the AddOn API.
    *sighs* Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamot View Post
    Was that an add-on in CoH? That sounds like it was created with the client. I will answer with a no
    It wasn't an addon, it was in fact part of the client. Given that it doesn't currently exist with Rift's engine (I don't think), I was curious if something like this could be DONE via addon. But it sounds like it's not.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Nope. Addons are very carefully isolated from any hint of the 3D world, all we can ever find out about is the UI.

Last I heard, the consensus among a couple of rendering types was that there are some engine designs where a feature like this is pretty much completely trivial because there's a single clearly defined flow of things being handed to the rendering side, and you can just record that or replay it, and there are others where the engine is doing a lot of the planning and generation and such on the fly, so there's no simple event stream you can pick up. And Rift is of the latter sort.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Damn it. Oh well, thank you to them's that answered.

+ Reply to Thread