+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

Soulwalker

Default Questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

Hi, I'm trying to sort out some issues I am having with Rift's UI and it has become clear to me that I'm probably going to have to use a few addons or author my own to do what I require.

The #1 main issue I am having with Rift's UI is this mess (http://puu.sh/6TjMK.jpg) it is so damn awful in PVP, while it is 100% perfectly functional in PVE, do I really need to know this guy is tracking plants and ore? That he has his weapon buffed and has an XP or Favor vial buff? I don't! I'd like to either hide the default auras and use something like Gadgets: Buff to replace it while retaining the default unit frame or have a few to filter out the default aura display.

I've gathered that Rift has the same kind of "protected"/"secure" frames as World of Warcraft, and I'm guessing the target unit frame is one of those frames, but... is the default UI source code available to us? Would modifying this default frame be a possibility?

I really don't want to replace the entire unit frame, as I rather enjoy the art and unit portraits. :|

it is not possible to modify the build in ui.

the UI in WoW was specifically designed to be accessible and modifiable by addons, thus the entire UI is in lua / xml. In Rift this was not thought about ahead of time, and they used Scaleform, which is flash based and an extreme headache to work with (thus not available to addons to modify).

So at this point if trion really wanted to make the default UI available to addon devs to modify they would have to completely rebuild the UI on something better and more accessible than scaleform.

Soulwalker

Well that answers that. sigh. I wish they would just do something about the default aura display already. Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    it is not possible to modify the build in ui.

the UI in WoW was specifically designed to be accessible and modifiable by addons, thus the entire UI is in lua / xml. In Rift this was not thought about ahead of time, and they used Scaleform, which is flash based and an extreme headache to work with (thus not available to addons to modify).

So at this point if trion really wanted to make the default UI available to addon devs to modify they would have to completely rebuild the UI on something better and more accessible than scaleform.
    Ugh flash. That explains why its performance is awful.
    Even free cost too much now

+ Reply to Thread