+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to capture text in Chat window, look for x and then do y

Soulwalker

Default How to capture text in Chat window, look for x and then do y

Hi

Newbie here - if there a starting guide I can look at. I had looked in other forum areas who said not possible to extract text from a chat window such as lvl60 but didn't make sense.

Presumably the text is sent in some wrapper to the local client - opened at the client and presented on the screen if end user has chosen to select to see it. Hence there must be a flag to say show X1,x2,.x3 chat type and I just want to select some text within that.

Intention is basically to capture when a guild lays down a banner - and then do something such as a dialogue box on screen

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

weeeell, i dunno myself, but it might be possible, ask around, some add-on dev might share some tips with you.

Addons don't have access to the chat system.
    Author of the Imhothar's Bags addon.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

they may not have full chat control, but addons can, and do track stuff that is displayed in chat windows, eg : damage meters, any of those kill-feed things.

what OP needs is to track some events that are displayed in chat.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

The only things you can see are NPC chats and combat events. You can't see the rest of the text.

NPC chats are so you can process raid emotes, and those are indeed available.

And the reason that the client can display text that addons can't see is that not everything the client has is exposed to the addon API.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread