+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting started - a few questions

Default Getting started - a few questions

Hi All,

So I've read the really useful sticky, but I'm just struggling to "get started", I am a programmer by trade (java, c#, etc) and need a few pointers...

1) Can I create an add on and run it on live? Does it have to be the test shard?

2) How can I do some basic debugging? Like I want to attach to the combat/damage event and just debug some output to some window, etc, any simple pointers here to get me started would be awesome

Also going forward, what is the typical debug process? Since there is no "IDE" is it just a matter of reloading the UI in RIFT to continue testing?

I'm really just looking for basic baby steps at this point, any advice is appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Amariah View Post
    1) Can I create an add on and run it on live? Does it have to be the test shard?
    Yes, no.

2) How can I do some basic debugging? Like I want to attach to the combat/damage event and just debug some output to some window, etc, any simple pointers here to get me started would be awesome
    print() and dump() are your debuggers. Anything that goes beyond that, like graphical indicators etc, needs to be implemented by yourself (or other addon devs).

Also going forward, what is the typical debug process? Since there is no "IDE" is it just a matter of reloading the UI in RIFT to continue testing?
    That's pretty much how it works, yeah. Your IDE consists of your editor (the frontend) and Rift (the backend and debugger).
    Author of the Imhothar's Bags addon.

+ Reply to Thread