+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Map Icons and texture rotation

Soulwalker

Default Map Icons and texture rotation

Hi everyone, i'm trying to write a substitute (as complete as permitted by current API limitations) of the main map so that it can show more informations.

I have two questions:

1) You can use icons taken directly from Rift's Data/UI/... folder but you have to know the names. Is there an index somewhere? I need the map's icons (but i'd feel very happy to have a complete list) such as "Center map" button's icon and other "toolbar's" icons, rifts icons and so on...

2) Is it possible to rotate textures to draw, for example, arrows?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I believe this addon may be of some use to you for your first question.
    Texture Viewer by Imhothar

For your second question, the only example I've seen for rotating textures is switching between multiple textures for the different angles. I am not an addon author though, so don't take my word for it.

I hope someone more knowledgeable about that may respond soon.

Hope this is of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    1) You can use icons taken directly from Rift's Data/UI/... folder but you have to know the names. Is there an index somewhere? I need the map's icons (but i'd feel very happy to have a complete list) such as "Center map" button's icon and other "toolbar's" icons, rifts icons and so on...
    I recommend TextureViewer as well, very useful.

2) Is it possible to rotate textures to draw, for example, arrows?
    Not currently, but zorba has let on that he has a new frame type in the works that will let us do a LOT more.

Soulwalker

Thank you for your replies.

I already use TextureViewer but it never spat out, for example, those buttons texture in the map or even resource's nodes.

TextureViewer's description says:
    The addon filters out textures which can be downloaded from Trion's FTP site at ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/assets/.
    but when i go there i only see an empty folder. Do you know why?

Note that texture recording works only on the PTS, however you can look at the prelisted ones in the live client (if present).
    What does this mean? PTS stands for Pay To Signup, right? But what's the "if present" part?

When i use TextureViewer, i enable it, open the main map (or crafting window for the resources icons), reload the UI and view the result with /tv but always get the same textures.
    Is there a better way to use it?

I can't wait to see the API extended a little bit more. Is there a roadmap or something?

Telaran

PTS stands for Pay To Signup, right?
    PTS stands for Public Test Server. It's where new game content and changes to the API are tested before going live. May be worthwhile to check the texture recording out on the PTS. I believe the PTS section of the main forum has instructions to get you started, if you want to

Telaran

Thank you for your replies.

I already use TextureViewer but it never spat out, for example, those buttons texture in the map or even resource's nodes.

TextureViewer's description says:

but when i go there i only see an empty folder. Do you know why?

What does this mean? PTS stands for Pay To Signup, right? But what's the "if present" part?

When i use TextureViewer, i enable it, open the main map (or crafting window for the resources icons), reload the UI and view the result with /tv but always get the same textures.
    Is there a better way to use it?

I can't wait to see the API extended a little bit more. Is there a roadmap or something?
    As for TextureViewer "spitting out" map icons, I see a whole list of them in the addon.
    Gotta be like 40 to 50 of them all named MainMap_###.dds
    There are also alot more in there but weirdly named.

Also, here is a little script you can run after the textures have been loaded and you can see them in TV. You may have to reloadui if there are none present. Just replace whatever you want in the str variable to search for other stuff. Keep in mind that it is case-sensitive.

Code:
    /script str = "Map" for key, val in pairs(TextureViewerRecordedTextures) do if string.find(key, str) then print(key) end end
    Last edited by TinnerKB; 08-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.

The PTS notice is ages old and no longer relevant. The addon works on live servers now and I just deleted the note. TextureViewer can only record and display textures the game makes available, which may not include everything and is out of my control.

It can only display textures which were loaded by your client. So if you want the paths of map icons, you have to go to a place where those icons are actually displayed in the game, then /reloadui to make them appear in TV. Sometimes you need to logout/login once to get some textures wich are loaded before TV is enabled for the first time. This way you can even find the texture paths for character selection/creation screens.

As to why the FTP folder is empty I have no idea. Need to bother some Trion person for that.
    Last edited by Imhothar; 08-22-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Author of the Imhothar's Bags addon.

Soulwalker

Hello and thanks again for your help, in particular to Imhotar for the very usefull addon.

Today i tried again and TextureViewer registered many more icons than it usually did.
    I saw those 40-50 MainMap icons but some are still missing. Probably the client loads them differently.

I don't think there's much that can be done about it.

Soulwalker

If you are still following this thread I just wanted to let you know that there is now a way to rotate the images via the canvas functionality that has been added to the API. I don't know much about it myself as I haven't used it yet, but just making you aware if you are still working on this at all.

+ Reply to Thread