+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help needed to port awesome WoW addon to Rift

Soulwalker

Default Help needed to port awesome WoW addon to Rift

Hi, all.

When I used to play WoW I used an awesome cooldown/buff timer/debuff timer addon called IceHUD. I've found a few different addons that may fill my needs, but not so well, and not all in one slim addon. As well as offering skill specific cooldowns and timers, IceHUD also included a range finder, combo point meter, health and mana bars, GCD bar, and a whole lot more and the bars were individually configurable so that they displayed in the middle of the screen where they were easily visible, but without obscuring anything at all. I used to overlap bars either with one going up and one going down so I could track two timers in the same space, or where abilities were mutually exclusive. All in all I packed a huge amount of information in a very small space.

Anyway, although I have only been playing Rift a small while, I think I might end up getting into it as much as I got into WoW. Also, despite only having played a short while, I am already finding the lack of IceHUD a real handicap. So I would like to port the addon into Rift. Obviously this is going to be quite a big job due to the difference between the WoW and Rift game APIs.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands. My personal programming project in C I spent some time on has been left to rot for the last month or two due to having so little time and the weather being so nice that I prefer to spend time in the garden and with my family. So I am looking for people who would be interested in assissting me.

Any volunteers?

Ascendant

I can tell you at the outset, actionbar skill timers aren't doable, whchi is why no Rfit add-on does it.
    Last edited by Kerin; 08-07-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Soulwalker

How do you define "actionbar skill timers"? Because there are several addons that do the sort of thing I want, although not how I want. I've seen addons that do all of the following:

GCD bar (GCDDisplay)
    Skill cooldown tracker (SlideDown Continued)
    Buff timer to tell you when to rebuff
    Debuff timers
    Combo point trackers
    Mage charge trackers

I haven't tried any of them yet, so it's possible they don't do what they seem to say that they do, but this is pretty much all I want, although not all that IceHUD does.

The thing about all these addons is that generally they have a big square opaque window with a number of square bars, whereas what I am looking for is something more like these.

Also, as I understand it, the Rift addon API is still under development, and asking Zorba nicely for something reasonable and very useful may work wonders.
    Last edited by Jontom Xire; 08-07-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Gadgets can do most of the things you're looking for, including the HUD style. There's a module included called Arc HUD or something like that.

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/gadgets

gadgets ftw
    its the only addon ive used for raids since wired
    who took my names!

Soulwalker

Someone else mentioned Gadgets, but it just didn't seem to do what I need at all, although Gadgets:Buffs seemed to add most of the missing stuff. I didn't see HUD Arcs at the time.

It doesn't seem to do cooldowns at all though. I guess it would be easier to add it to that then start all over. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jontom Xire View Post
    It doesn't seem to do cooldowns at all though. I guess it would be easier to add it to that then start all over. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    I've purposefully avoided adding cooldown tracking, because we've always had KaruulAlert to handle them. There just didn't seem to be any value in duplicating this functionality within Gadgets.

Gadgets:Buffs didn't exist until Krieri abandoned development of KBB (Krieri's Buff Bars) for the same reason.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

As Wildtide said, KaruulAlert is a very powerful addon for tracking timers/cooldowns etc
    Nope.

Soulwalker

As I said earlier, KaruulAlert just seems to give you a one off alert. It's easier and better to see cooldowns slowly tracking down as it allows you to anticipate when the cooldown will run out and thus plan ahead. This is especially true for ability cooldowns where you have perhaps a 3 second cooldown or so and need to optimise your rotation.

HUD Arcs is nice, with a few provisos:

1) You cannot precisely position (by which I mean typing in co-ordinates so everything is pixel perfect).
    2) The number of things you can track is incredibly limited. Still, I think expanding the capabilities of HUD Arcs is definitely the way to go. GCD is definitely at the top of my list.
    3) The number of colours is limited to 6. Really really not enough. Other widgets (XP bar for example) allow the full range of colours. HUD Arcs should too.

So in summary, I think I'm going to work on adding buffs and debuffs and cooldowns to HUD Arcs. It would be nicer to sort of remove HUD Arcs per se and add it as a display mode for the other gadgets.

That would be cool

I honestly think you'll come up against limitations in the API fairly quickly, if you're trying to compare to things you can achieve with WoW's much older and more mature API.

As an example, the colours for HUD arcs - we can't tint a texture. You'll notice anything in a RIFT addon that lets you specify a full range of colours is either rectangular or text. The reason there are only 6 colours for arcs is because we have to provide individual images for every single combination of side, colour and texture.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 08-08-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Telaran

Default RiftHud

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info392-RiftHud.html

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/rifthud

I used IceHud and ArcHud3 when I played Wow so made one myself. Not quite as customizable but getting close.

As I said earlier, KaruulAlert just seems to give you a one off alert. It's easier and better to see cooldowns slowly tracking down as it allows you to anticipate when the cooldown will run out and thus plan ahead. This is especially true for ability cooldowns where you have perhaps a 3 second cooldown or so and need to optimise your rotation.
    Karuul Alert allows you to track that, as well.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TinnerKB View Post
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info392-RiftHud.html

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/rifthud

I used IceHud and ArcHud3 when I played Wow so made one myself. Not quite as customizable but getting close.

Awesome. Looks like you did exactly what I was planning to do already!

Downloaded and will try it out next time I run Rift! I don't know why I didn't find it earlier.

Soulwalker

Umm, got a bug

Is the version on RiftUI the latest version.

Telaran

Umm, got a bug

Is the version on RiftUI the latest version.
    It is at the moment. Right now I am working on a new version, When I am done, all elements will be moveable, arcs can be swapped around to show the info in whatever order you want and adding in a cleric conviction bar as well.
    As for the bug, not sure what you had without you posting it. As far as I knew, that version should be quite stable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast