+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there interest in public usage of EnKai?

Champion

Default Is there interest in public usage of EnKai?

I've put a lot of work into my lib EnKai as a base of all of my addons. It's by far perfect and I hope I did a half-decent job. In difference to that old thing from back a year ago this one actually sticks to the standard API conventions.

You can of course see the lib in action in my addons. All of the new versions of my addons use the lib, so you can see easily what can be done.

There is a file readme.odt within the library zip file. This contains the documentation of the library. It's not yet done fully but I'll keep on working on it.

The following can be done with the lib:

ui widgets
    • dragable / closeable Rift window
    • modern style dragable / closeable window
    • simple tooltip
    • dialogs
    • tabpane
    • scrollable area pane
    • scrollbox
    • context menu
    • imagegallary
    • data grid
    • optimized textfield
    • custom slider
    • combo box
    • checkbox
    • optimized rift button
    • actionbar button

documentation

a complete widget for ingame documentation

Language handling
    • Get current language
    • Set current language
    • Reset language

co routine handler

complete handler so that one command is sufficient to create and process coroutine

fx handler

pretty new this one so only one option available so far
    • auto hide ui elements after n seconds

helper functions
    • table functions like isMember, getTablePos, getSortedKeys, merge, mergeIndex, getKeyByValue, copy, getSize
    • value rounding
    • string routines like split (need some cleaning up here)
    • some more minor stuff

Let me know if there's any need / interest.

Cheers
    N.
    Last edited by Naifu; 10-07-2013 at 09:12 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I am not totally sure whether I'd use it, but this is the sort of thing for which ApiBrowser was designed.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Wym
    Shadowlander

I've become a bit reluctant to use/depend on 3rd party libraries, because of library authors quitting the game with noone to keep supporting the library. But, i'm so tired of having to write hundreds of lines of code just for some simple UI elements, i'd really appreciate if there was some kind of "standard" UI library.

I haven't looked into yours, but the feature list (and the look of your addons that have been made with it) sounds promising, so i'd certainly give it a try.

Not sure about the other stuff, though - your helper functions, for example, sound like the things that i rather write myself in a few minutes when i need them, instead of trying to learn and remember yet another api collection.

Champion

@Seebs: Thanks for the hint. I'll sure look into it.

@Wym: I know what you feel about the dependency. That's how my libs startet ... well and that each of the alternatives was missing something I needed or wanted.

Actually I'd have no problem in having additional authors who'd contribute to make it useable for a wider audience.

Cheers
    N.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post

documentation

a complete widget for ingame documentation

Let me know if there's any need / interest.

Cheers
    N.
    Is there any documention to see the documention in the game?
    I dont see any slash commands or anything. I pretty much use Doxx's library in all my addons and wanted to see what yours has to offer but without seeing what to do..well Im at a loss.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TinnerKB View Post
    Is there any documention to see the documention in the game?
    I dont see any slash commands or anything. I pretty much use Doxx's library in all my addons and wanted to see what yours has to offer but without seeing what to do..well Im at a loss.
    Oh ehrm actually it's a widget for documentations of your addons You can see it working if you install nkRebuff and use the option 'Manual' on the nk minimap button.

A documentation of the lib needs to be done. That was actually the point of my post to see if there's enough interest to make doing a doc worthwhile.

Cheers
    N.

Telaran

Oh ehrm actually it's a widget for documentations of your addons You can see it working if you install nkRebuff and use the option 'Manual' on the nk minimap button.

A documentation of the lib needs to be done. That was actually the point of my post to see if there's enough interest to make doing a doc worthwhile.

Cheers
    N.
    I see. Hmmm... not sure I want to traverse through all the code to find out whats available and what formats and events to use. I will wait and see what you add.

I was looking for a good UI library to use in an addon i'm planning. I will probably use EnKai if thats what you use to get the UI look of nkAdvisor (super slick btw)

I can probably stumble my way through it though and figure out how to use it without documentation but it would help

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    I was looking for a good UI library to use in an addon i'm planning. I will probably use EnKai if thats what you use to get the UI look of nkAdvisor (super slick btw)

I can probably stumble my way through it though and figure out how to use it without documentation but it would help
    what is the difference between Enkai and nkGenie? Both seem to be similar UI libraries but i've found nkGenie to be much simpler to use, from a coding noob's point of view.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    what is the difference between Enkai and nkGenie? Both seem to be similar UI libraries but i've found nkGenie to be much simpler to use, from a coding noob's point of view.
    Actually nkGenie was my first try at a standardised lib. The idea behind nkGenie was to use json like objects to provide the details for ui widgets. At some point it got quite complicated and it doesn't work like the standard API frames, so while people who like this approach will find it simpler others might get confused.

On top of this I had to re-create most standard API functions for each ui widget. Even the simplest ones.

As the event system changed I needed to look at the lib and decided to re-write it. This lead to EnKai. The new lib is much more powerfull than the old one and sticks to the standard way of the Rift API frame handling.

I can only advise you to use EnKai as nkGenie will stop working as soon as the old event system is no longer supported. And of course I'll no longer support it. All the good stuff you'll find in EnKai

Cheers
    N.

Actually nkGenie was my first try at a standardised lib. The idea behind nkGenie was to use json like objects to provide the details for ui widgets. At some point it got quite complicated and it doesn't work like the standard API frames, so while people who like this approach will find it simpler others might get confused.

On top of this I had to re-create most standard API functions for each ui widget. Even the simplest ones.

As the event system changed I needed to look at the lib and decided to re-write it. This lead to EnKai. The new lib is much more powerfull than the old one and sticks to the standard way of the Rift API frame handling.

I can only advise you to use EnKai as nkGenie will stop working as soon as the old event system is no longer supported. And of course I'll no longer support it. All the good stuff you'll find in EnKai

Cheers
    N.
    Eventually, this is what I figured. I had no clue how to implement most of the EnKai stuff at first so I built the entire UI with the simpler nkgenie and now i'm replacing it peice by peice with Enkai as I need to do more complicated things. Though replacing nkgenie tabpane with Enkai is proving to be a challenge. The closest I got was all my tabs stacked in the upper left corner of my screen. Part of the reason is that i'm using nkAdvisor as a "how to" and the tabpanes in nkAdvisor are all wrapped up with a modular style. I'm sure i'll be able to get it soon though, in the mean time I've just left that as nkgenie code and I'll revisit the tabpane in the future once i've gotten more comfortable with the Enkai library.

It's a great resource, has pretty much everthing i'm looking for all wrapped up in one library (with nice graphics)

Champion

The tabpane is not perfect yet I agree. The one in nkGenie was more sofisticated. At the moment the tabpane in EnKai is basically just covering the things I needed for nkAdvisor.

Looking into my addons is a great way of seeing how EnKai works. Just beware of the pieces of codes which are ... somewhat ... ****ty Sometimes when I look at some of my code I can only find the excuse that I maybe was drunk when I wrote it

Cheers
    N.

Telaran

ANy update on some documentation for this library? And if you have considered adding radiobuttons as well.
    Author of RiftHud, RiftActionbarCooldowns, RunecraftHelper, RiftHealer, and RiftMenuXtra. Can be found at RiftUI and Curse.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TinnerKB View Post
    ANy update on some documentation for this library? And if you have considered adding radiobuttons as well.
    In the latest version on curse you'll find a file readme.odt. In there I have started to document the lib. It's about 50% done and I'll continue to update it.

So far I didn't have any need for radio buttons but I believe nkGenie had them. Migrating them would be easy so I'll have a look at this.

Cheers
    N.

Documentation is coming along nicely, it's helped me a few times already

Yesterday I discovered some things that you might be able to answer though

nkactionButton is not able to be used unless we set the frames to restricted right? Which can only be done when you're out of combat but you have to set your whole UI to restricted? Still confused about the whole restricted/secure/combat thing.

Anyways, this became an issue because I wanted to make a button to open/close my addon but it should work in-combat as well. So I have to use nkButton instead of nkactionButton BUT, you can't set the texture of nkButton (only text, color, and scale). So I have a .png file I made to use as a button but I had to use Rift's standard button API in order to make my own button (and not use nkButton or nkactionButton).

It's not a big deal since rift's standard button is pretty simple to make. just thought i'd share the issue I ran into. from my point of view it'd be nice if nkbutton and nkactionbutton were combined functionality wise with setsecure being an optional parameter if we wanted to use macro's with it. I also need to investigate sometime how to add a "hover over" texture to my button (because it looks cool)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast