+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A music addon?

Shadowlander

Default A music addon?

I really like rift music, however it doesn't seem to play so often in zones and just occasionally I find music I don't feel fits the zone: I'm asking if the API code that has been released so far would allow any alterations to the function of the music so that it loops rather than stops, or plays a different track than usual in that place, for example?

not currently possible for addon authors to play music of any kind.

Honestly, though, as far as I understand it, these addons are written in LUA just like the addons for WoW, and there IS a "Soundtrack" addon for WoW that replaces zone music with your custom MP3s.

So I think it IS doable, but no one's found a way to adapt it to Rift yet.
    - George R. Powell
    Music Composer | Screenwriter | Director/Producer

http://www.georgerpowell.com

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnlae View Post
    Honestly, though, as far as I understand it, these addons are written in LUA just like the addons for WoW, and there IS a "Soundtrack" addon for WoW that replaces zone music with your custom MP3s.

So I think it IS doable, but no one's found a way to adapt it to Rift yet.
    That you can do something in whatever other application means nothing. The embedded Lua interpretor has exactly zero possibilities to affect anything outside its "box" other than the exposed API functions that the embedding application offers. And since Rift has no such functions that do anything audio related, you can't do it, as simple as that.

WoW is somewhat special anyway, the WoW API doesn't just exist for addons, but the whole native interface is written in Lua+XML too. So you could say the whole client UI is just a default Addon atop a naked 3d view, and it's fully replaceable. That's not the case for Rift, its default UI is "classic" compiled code and Lua only grants access to selected functions, so there's many things you can't replicate with an addon.

+ Reply to Thread