+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Read/Write Files?

Default Read/Write Files?

I have been pondering an addon for some time now, and just recently began to really look into what it takes for developing one, languages, tools, features, api's, etc.

In this research, I ran across this thread concerning File I/O.

My question would be, has there been any change in this area? Without the ability to write/read from files, then the addon I have in mind is, in my view, a non-starter.
    Dimensions on Faeblight
    Rajmali: The Soggy Tissue (Gloamwood Glen), Raj's Study (Breach Chamber)
    Lachei: 55 Rue Plumet (Plaza Aurentine)
    Giorn: Tuldio Museum and Library (Edge of Infinity), Chateau Anju (Mathosian Cascades), Sea Breeze (Threesprings), Titan Arena (Shal Korva)

Nothing has changed as far as file access is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    Nothing has changed as far as file access is concerned.
    Noshei, thank you for taking the time to answer.

I will continue to hope they find some way to allow this. As an alternative, these are the addon utilities I would like to attempt, anyone have suggestions on a way to pull these off without file access?

A configurable log system for RP'ers, which would let us save separate log files per character. The current /log function is a pain for trying to archive RP sessions for later reference, as it is so bloated with channels and events which are not needed. Presuming I actually remember to enable the log, then I have to run the thing through scripts I've written to strip out all the static. Having the logs create themselves cleanly, by character to begin with would be a real time saver for me.

Would love to follow that up with an addon to let RP'ers search those logs in game, for latest history, past events, etc, complete with color coded display.

*looks to those wise ones who surround him* Perhaps one of you has the wisdom to guide me?
    Dimensions on Faeblight
    Giorn: Tuldio Museum and Library (Edge of Infinity), Chateau Anju (Mathosian Cascades), Sea Breeze (Threesprings), Titan Arena (Shal Korva)

I fear, brave traveler upon the road to enlightenment, that the wisdom you seek may turn out to be naught but a myth. However, I have pondered your musings, and have delved deep into those dark and forgotten recesses within my mind that still remain uncorrupted by the vile machinations of Overlord Zorba, and I may be able to offer a tiny sliver of hope.

Saved variables...

If you write all of your logs out as saved variables, this will allow you to store them in a structured format that can be read by scripts outside of RIFT.

They will also be accessible from within the game, giving you the ability to display them back, with colour coding etc.

The only downside I can see to these is that they may grow to be huge. You might want to include housekeeping functionality to clear down old logs, maybe making your external scripts write a flag back into the saved variable tables to say you have already processed the entry and stored it externally.

A bigger problem, however, is probably that you can't actually read the chat log from an addon... so all of this is probably kinda pointless really
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 03-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

if the /log file gives channel designations it should be entirely possible to use an external program to parse only the channels you want. I'm assuming that each line of RP'ing that you want to save is preceded by some sort of [RPchannel]: user: text

should be possible, tricky, but possible.
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Wildtide, your comments are appreciated and give me at least some path to explore. I am mindful of your caution though, as the storage size of the logs could become quite burdensome.

Perhaps I should start with building a saved variable store with lorem ipsum type content, to test and see where the reasonable limits would be for this. Unless someone has already developed some benchmarking data on the saved variables; their size, speed of access, and overall impact to the game environment as these things change through use. It would seem any housekeeping built would need to ensure it was operating well within those ranges to keep the system a benefit, and useable.

Redcruxs, you are absolutely correct, and I have a set of regular expressions such as:
    Code:
    ^.*\[0\..*$
    ^.*\[1\..*$
    ^.*\[2\..*$
    ^.*\[3\..*$
    ^.*\[4\..*$
    ^.*\[5\..*$
    ^.*\[6\..*$
    ^.*\[7\..*$
    ^.*\[8\..*$
    ^.*\[9\..*$
    ^\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}:.[0-9a-zA-Z<].*$
    that I run through a bat file and use perl to execute...there are currently 54 separate expressions I have identified, that leave behind an *almost* pure log. Some of these expressions could be simplified, like the examples above. The 10 separate expressions for 0-9 could be combined into a single rule, but they are kept apart so that should I chose, I can keep, channel 4 text in my log easily by commenting that expression out before I clean the log.

The biggest downside to this is, its not easily shareable, and I was looking to create a solution to help the RP community. As of right now, I know several RP'ers who all have developed their own methods of logging this stuff, based on their level of technical knowledge. The methods range from programmatic, to screen caps and crops keeping just the chat window portion for their log in jpg format!

Beyond the headaches of trying to explain how to install perl on varying systems to non-technical folk, there is also the the hurdle that just using /log can be problematic for another reason. As I find myself topping that proverbial hill, quite often I forget to type /log into the window when I log in, and find myself cursing at the game for not allowing me to just set that to always be on. Creating the addon would allow me to ensure that my aging mental facilities are no longer the reason my RP logs look like someone took a shotgun to them. *chuckles*
    Dimensions on Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread