+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add-on to track complete quests

Default Add-on to track complete quests

Anyone know of such an add-on, or if it is even possible with the exposed API?

The reason I ask is I am currently 51/52 quests done in Cape Jule for the achievement and I am trying to figure out what I missed. Historically, I always seem to be one quest short of the zone achievement, but in chocolate rift, I was just able to run around from quest hub to quest hub till I find the quest that I missed. Now with the new quest system (which, by the way, I think is fantastic) I can see that finding that one last quest is going to be very difficult.

Plane Touched

When I last checked, there was only very limited support for this in the API. My knowledge may be outdated on this topic, so take this with a grain of salt.

You can access the details for your current active quests, and there is also a list of IDs for completed quests. Unfortunately, those IDs cannot be used to get the details of the completed quests (because the ID format is not usable for the function you use to get quest details).

The only possible way to get those details was to get the quests.xml file (from Trion's FTP site), parse it to extract quest IDs and data, and make that info available to an addon (in form of a lua "data" file). I had this method working on a basic level, but not well enough to make a public addon from it.

Since I also ran into the 46/47 quests problem, I looked into my old solution again, but then discovered that there's no new quests.xml file available anymore on the Trion FTP site...so right now, I see no way to get the required quest information at all.

UPDATE: the file quests.xml IS still there, in data/Rift_Discoveries. Forgot it was part of that .zip
    Last edited by Sarim; 11-23-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Shadowlander

I had this problem with Carnages so wrote a quick addon to tell me which ones I'd missed. Since carnages count towards the quest total for the zone and there's often more carnages than are needed for the achievement, it may be worth trying.

It's essentially the Quests.xml discovery data about carnages compared to completed/current quests.

Carnage Book

It'd be possible to extend this to cover all quests for a zone, but since I've not made a UI for it, it'd be pretty messy when output.

Edit: Changed link to curse
    Last edited by Ivnedar; 11-23-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Soulwalker

I don't care if its in the chat log, it's better than no where. That would be awesome!!!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aedri View Post
    I don't care if its in the chat log, it's better than no where. That would be awesome!!!
    I would agree with this! I've been using the quest discovery xml file from Trion for a long time to do this by converting it to an Excel spreadsheet and using it as a checklist. I can at least manually check off the quests I've completed and use the list data to see which ones remain. This has worked pretty well for me. Having it in-game and updating automatically would be cool.

Plane Touched

I've updated my old solution and created a (beta) addon. You can have a look at it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgarax View Post
    Anyone know of such an add-on, or if it is even possible with the exposed API?

The reason I ask is I am currently 51/52 quests done in Cape Jule
    Have you gone to the very southern top of the zone (Fellwater Cay or something like that) and done the annoying quest where you click on pylon to electrify the water for a few seconds and lure some shark-type creatures into it to be electrocuted?

Have you done the instant adventure quest?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sarim View Post
    I've updated my old solution and created a (beta) addon. You can have a look at it here.
    Oh nice addon. Now I can find all those pesky quests I am missing.

A UI and categorization of quests would be awesome if it could eventually be written.
    Some more of the quest data in game would be helpful too. (level, repeatable, no longer available due to event over, etc.)

There is also a givers (NPC) field... I wonder if using other external data the tloc for that giver could be presented in Rift.

Very good work - thanks for this.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssix View Post
    I would agree with this! I've been using the quest discovery xml file from Trion for a long time to do this by converting it to an Excel spreadsheet and using it as a checklist. I can at least manually check off the quests I've completed and use the list data to see which ones remain. This has worked pretty well for me. Having it in-game and updating automatically would be cool.
    Well, if the addon puts the text out to chat there's an easy way to SAVE that chat text to a file and view/edit that text file after...

Rift has a chat option '/log':

If you go to the 'General' chat, hit your ENTER key then type in '/log' and ENTER again, it will start logging the chat to a log.txt file (which will appear in your "C:\Users\{your-windows-login-id}\Documents\RIFT" directory as log.txt).

Then quickly run your addon that puts the text out to chat, then type '/log' again the same way.. the first /log opens the file and the second /log saves everything that displayed in chat into the log.txt file and closes it.

Now if anyone else chatted in the General chat during that process, that will be saved in the file too, but you can delete that text later. What I do after closing the /log is go to that directory and rename the file to whatever I want so I can look at and edit it later. This works great with the 'Questfinder' addon I use that shows which quests you still need :-)

+ Reply to Thread