+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Addons: Suggestions, Bug Reports, and Other Feedback

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Addons: Suggestions, Bug Reports, and Other Feedback

The addon system is still under development, but we need to know what features you're missing and what bugs you're running into. If you'd like changes, additions, or fixes to the addon API, this is the place to ask for them!

I probably won't respond directly to most posts in this thread, but be assured that I read them all.

This thread replaces the old Small Suggestions thread (that's right, you can make big suggestions now), as well as the old Bug Reports thread.

Here's my list of suggestions for UI frames:

Texture Coordinates

The ability to specify texture (UV) coordinates for each corner point of a texture frame. For example:
    Frame:SetTexCoords(0,0, 1,0, 0,1, 1,1)

Texture Blending

The ability to specify blending options for a texture. The most basic need is the ability to colourize a texture, so that an RGB colour value is blended with the texture, retaining the texture's alpha channel.

Hollow/Border Frames

The ability to make a frame hollow, so that it can be used as a border. Ideally with configurable thickness so that a 2 pixel border could be created.

Or... the ability to create a 'Path' frame, by specifying a list of points. This would be really cool.

Secure Frame Hiding

This is really important for unit frame addons. We need the ability to hide a secure frame. The previously suggested method of allowing a frame to be hidden if the associated mouseover unit is not available would be ideal.

Frame Rotation / Scale

The ability to specify rotation around a point for a frame. This could be useful for things like directional arrows on a map, but admittedly a fairly specialized requirement.

The ability to scale a frame, and have this scaling applied automatically to all of the child frames. Again a fairly specialized nice-to-have option.

I suspect both of these options are limited by the flexibility of the frame hierarchy and SetPoint system. I can see them working well if it was a strict parent/child control hierarchy where every child was positioned relative to it's parent, but not sure it's possible with the way SetPoint works.

Font Outlining

The ability to specify an outline colour for a font (or even just a boolean flag and always make the outline black). This would save a lot of messing around with additional Text frames when overlaying text on textures or the world.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 09-25-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

I would like a way to reuse the frame textures of the game for variable-sized frames just the way how RiftWindow works.

That means having some sort of Texture object where you specify x Texels of top/bottom/left/right margin which is not stretched when the frame is resized. The current way to do this is by splitting up the textures offline and create 9 frames with the separate pieces. That is quite alot of work and results in unnecessary overhead.

The native UI is already doing this in all its widgets as is evident from looking at the textures. Would be nice to have that ability as well.
    Author of the Imhothar's Bags addon.

The ability to tie into the keybind system would be nice.

Right now, I have to create macro's with slash commands, and put those on a hotkey bar with a keybind assigned. Not ideal, since macro's are a precious commodity!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Telaran

The following suggestions are examples taken from some wow addons but.....

Code:
    f:SetBackdrop({
    	  bgFile = E["media"].blankTex, 
    	  edgeFile = E["media"].blankTex, 
    	  tile = false, tileSize = 0, edgeSize = E.mult, 
    	  insets = { left = -E.mult, right = -E.mult, top = -E.mult, bottom = -E.mult}
    	})
    The ability to play around with texture transparencies (instead of current method of stacking a gajillion frames to get the affect)......

Also this may already be possible but a way of "enumerating" Frame so that new methods can be added in (ie:FrameoSomething()).This may already be possible but im a script/coding newbie so... =P

Pretty sure the above is covered by doomsprout's suggestions above but i needed to say it myself =P

Suggestion:
    Add Inspect.Console.Detail().visible - whether this console is currently visible to the user
    Last edited by chuckySTAR; 09-28-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    Vince
    GAME OVER
    WORLD FIRST PRE NERFZ REGULOS

Default Inspect.*.Detail giving localization data

In an extra field, keyed by language name :

locale = { ["English"] = "English Name", ["German"] = "German Name", ... }
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Telaran

I should have posted this here to begin with, but I made a thread regarding a possible issue with Inspect.Social.Friend.

Now this is a bug assuming it functions like other functions (guild members online report true, mobile and nil/false) - Inspect.Social.Friend is returning online if they are "mobile" (in other words its only returning online, and nil/false)
    Last edited by 0dine; 09-30-2012 at 07:07 PM.

On a fresh login UIParent:GetWidth() and UIParent:GetHeight() return the actual screen size.

Once logged in (and on a /reloadui) they return the 'effective' screen size - ie after the global UI scale has been applied.

This means that when an addon loads and we try to keep UI elements on screen, since we are working with incorrect values, they end up moving.

As far as I can see, there is no Event to signify the UI resolution has changed.

Do we need

frame:
    GetActualHeight()
    GetActualWidth()
    GetActualLeft()
    GetActualRight()
    SetActualPoint()

etc?

And on a related note - since there are so many differences between a fresh login and a /reloadui - would it be possible to have a function that we can use to determine which sort of Addon loading we are under?
    Last edited by Adelea; 10-08-2012 at 04:00 AM.

To day I found out you can actually plug the currency types into Inspect.Item.Detail() and you get info like the rarity, falvor text and everything.

It would be nice to have that somehow consistent. The only difference I can find is the "category" member which is usually "misc other" for Inspect.Item.Detail() and stuff like "N000000047B0C65D0" for Inspect.Currency.Detail() used for Inspect.Currency.Category.Detail(). But all the other fields don't seem to differ in semantics.

Would it be possible to fill the missing fields from Inspect.Currency.Detail() with the values of Inspect.Item.Detail()?

It seems Inspect.Currency.Detail() does not cause server round-trips as Inspect.Item.Detail() does. That means that feeding Inspect.Currency.Detail() a type that is not available to the client will always throw an error. It would be nice if the currency details were becoming available the same way as item details do.

Interestingly, though, Inspect.Item.Detail() on the currency type does fetch the info from the server, but Inspect.Currency.Detail() isn't affected by that fact.

And while we're at it: how about adding a callback parameter to Inspect.Item/Currency/etc.Detail() which may cause server round-trips to fetch further information.

This would basically work the same as with the already available Command.* calls. Instead of throwing an error if the provided id/type is invalid or returning values, the callback is invoked as soon as the item/currency/etc data is available. If an item/currency/etc with the provided id/type does not exist the callback is called with the respective elements being false.

Code:
    function callback(items)
        dump(items)
    end

items = {
        "I40FE419D87662CDA,018726C4E158FF25,,,,,,",
        "I0050839B7A9A2748,1D53CC40D79082A6,,,,,,",
        "IamNotAnItem",
    }
    Inspect.Item.Detail(items, callback)
    The callback is then invoked with
    Code:
    {
        "I40FE419D87662CDA,018726C4E158FF25,,,,,," = { ... },
        "I0050839B7A9A2748,1D53CC40D79082A6,,,,,," = { ... },
        "IamNotAnItem" = false,
    }
    Last edited by Imhothar; 10-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Functions called with a NaN (for example 0 / 0) as argument cause an empty error message with no description, stack trace or anything else.

I tested it with a handful of methods (e.g. SetAlpha, SetFontColor, SetHeight, SetPoint, SetWidth) and it seems this is a global problem in the UI methods expecting number arguments.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

foo:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT", bar, "TOPLEFT")
    foo:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", bar, "TOPRIGHT")

This produces a frame where the left side is right of the right side. If you do it to a text frame, this results in a frame which does not render any text.

MHO, "frame has negative width or height" ought to be an error. Er. I mean, obviously it's an error; I think it should be diagnosed.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

More font-related stuff:
    1. It would be nice to support non-integer font sizes for smoother scaling.
    2. There should be a way to list known fonts, or at least fonts built into the engine.
    3. Contrary to documentation, :SetFontColor() appears to ignore alpha.
    Last edited by the_real_seebs; 10-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast