+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Introducing: Hypatia Log Viewer

Soulwalker

Default Introducing: Hypatia Log Viewer

Hello, Rift Community!

After several months of development, the Hypatia Team is proud to announce the release of the Hypatia Log Viewer. Hypatia Log Viewer is an online parser and analysis tool for Rift combat logs which allows players to analyze their raiding performance. With this tool we try to provide a convenient method to both understand these logs and to share them with others.

As there have been a few such tools in the past (and there are a few client-based tools currently), below is what Hypatia has in common with the other tools, and what sets it apart:

Damage / Healing / Damage Received Reporting
    As with most any logging tool, Hypatia has the standard damage done / healing done / damage received meters. With Hypatia, though, we provide a more detailed view than is common. With just a glance, you can view events in both timeline and chart views, as well as via tooltips which show common damage and healing sources. With actor breakdowns, we provide a quick and easy way to dive deeper into the data.

Advanced Combat Breakdowns
    As opposed to just the basic 'who did the most' epeen-fest that can often occur with damage meters, our goal with Hypatia has been to provide deeper analysis so that users can diagnose what exactly is being done right, and what is being done wrong. This functionality doesn't just provide breakdowns on ability usage for players; it also provides detailed analysis of NPC ability usage and mechanics.

Failure Reports
    In many raiding encounters, there are common causes for a group to wipe; these are generally 'player stood in the fire and died', but can be much more elaborate, depending on the encounter. We have worked hard to gather up these possible failure conditions so that players who are failing in common ways can easily be detected. This will provide a simple way to say 'this is where we, as a raiding group, are failing.'

Death Reports
    For player deaths, Hypatia provides easy to view reports on healing and damage leading up to and including the killing blow. This can provide a simple way to discover exactly what caused a player's death...extra damage, lack of healing, or encounter-specific mechanics. We also have Uptime/Downtime tracking, which can assist you in seeing how much time your raidgroup is actually spending in combat during raids.

Encounter-Based Search
    Hypatia includes a Log Browser which allows for advanced search through any individual encounter based on ability, type (hit/crit/heal/debuff application/etc), time, source, and target. Upon searching, users are presented with results in an easy to view timeline of events.

Shared Browsing
    Because Hypatia is web-based, data is viewable by multiple users at the same time, ensuring that each user is viewing the same data. Log files are stored directly on our server, as opposed to on a per-client basis, so you can be sure that each user has the same data during review.

Private Reporting
    While by default, all reports are viewable for the entire Rift community, users are also given the option to set any individual report as private. When a report is marked as private, only registered users who are members of the uploader's guild may view it.

To Sign Up
    Simply register an account at http://www.hypatialogviewer.com and log in. Once logged in, go to the User Control Panel and find your guild in the listing. Here you can send a request to the administrator of your guild so that you can be approved as a member. If your guild is not yet registered, registration is as simple as choosing a guild name, shard, and faction. Once you have completed the registration, create a combat log in Rift using the /combatlog command at the start and end of the combat you wish to record. Then simply go to the site and click 'Upload New' in the User Control Panel. From there, your combat log will be uploaded and parsed, showing up on the site shortly.

Special Thanks
    Over the last few months, there have been over 20 guilds beta testing Hypatia, and their help has been incredibly valuable. To all of these guilds, we can't begin to express how grateful we are for the assistance in getting Hypatia up to a standard that we feel is release-ready. Thanks!
    Founder, Hypatia Log Viewer

Guild Leader, <Disunity> (Greybriar-Defiant)

Soulwalker

This is an excellent tool. I have used it for more than two months. I feel it is something the community has been severely lacking.

will check it out @ home. only have IE here :P
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Rift Master

It's about god damn time

Thank you so much for this, and for the love of god don't disappear like the last few sites!
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

Are you currently doing differently than previous competitors to ensure that you won't come across hardware limitations for processing the logs? This was the downfall of ALL of them.

I'd love to utilize this for our guild but if it's going to disappear once heavy usage takes place, I don't really want to get too attached.

* two thumbs up *

we've been testing it for awhile and its taken the random ACT parser and spread it out so it makes sense. Alot easier to dig around for the information you are looking for.

Desrada@Greybriar
    HardCore Raider > = < HardCore Guildie
    11/11 HK, 4/4 PF, 7/8 ID

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Are you currently doing differently than previous competitors to ensure that you won't come across hardware limitations for processing the logs? This was the downfall of ALL of them.

I'd love to utilize this for our guild but if it's going to disappear once heavy usage takes place, I don't really want to get too attached.
    This is a very important question. The biggest concern here is storage, both in capacity and speed. Hypatia is designed to be scalable, and as reports are added it will have almost no interaction with load times. Our database structure handles reports in such a way that adding additional reports has little to no effect on loading of already-existing reports. At the same time, the site is designed to work in a multi-server architecture, and as such we can add additional servers with little to no change on this speed.

Capacity is the bigger concern, but we have a few new solutions there as well. Old reports gets archived into a compressed state, which reduces this disk space consumption significantly. Restoration is a very simple process, and only takes a minute or two, so it shouldn't add any significant hurdle to usability if reports get archived due to age. We also dump a large amount of waste data in the log, reducing the initial disk space consumption in the first place. This includes, in particular, the human-readable data near the end of combat log rows.

Will Hypatia have the storage space to hold infinite logfiles? No. Eventually, the storage capacity will reach a point where we can't handle it. At the moment, today, that is several terrabytes away, so there is a good amount of buffer before it becomes a major concern. For this eventuality, we're hopeful that we can get another storage server to help offload this data. This obviously has a real-world price attached to it, which is exactly why we have the server donation link on the site...we're not looking to get rich off of Hypatia, but getting the revenue required to provide storage to the community is important.

Shield of Telara

It is simple . . .

If you like it and use it - give the man some damn money.

I sat down and started to write one when tape stopped his site. This is cpu intensive on the parsing side. It can be very heavy storage dependent on the report side. For me, I was doing all the reports dynamically and just storing cleaned up logs in the database. But even that added up to a very large database quickly. The key is to follow what tape was doing and do as much as you can client side before you do anything server side.

Kharris is a cool guy. He started this project almost a year ago. I would feed him logs to help him see what was going on. He has taken it to a level beyond what we originally discussed and for that . . . the guy deserves to get some props and some cash.

I've been using the site now for about a month and am very impressed. The level of detail they have included is absolutely great.

Still some kinks to work out, but so far this is a great site and will be very useful.

Soulwalker

A quick note: I've noticed that in the last few days I've gotten a few German logfiles uploaded. Hypatia is not yet set up for German localization, so it is breaking the boss detection algorithm that I use and just flagging all encounters as 'Trash'. If one of the German users could drop me a line (kharris at hypatia log viewer dot com, or just via a pm on here), it would be incredibly helpful, and we'll get right to work on setting the site up to handle the additional language requirements for you.

Plane Touched

Just checked this out this morning. This is really cool. Great job on putting this together.

One question that I have. Is it possible to make your logs private so that only you or authorized guild members can view them. I haven't created an account yet so forgive me if the option is obvious somewhere in the account settings.

Thanks again

Proph

That would be a yes.

Soulwalker

Default One question that I have. Is it possible to make your logs private

Yes there is a section on the drop down once on site that lets you change it to private or public the default right now is public

Quote Originally Posted by Ljay View Post
    Yes there is a section on the drop down once on site that lets you change it to private or public the default right now is public
    On the site go to User Control Panel > Reports

From there click on Public under Privacy to change the report to Private.

When uploading a report there is a checkbox "Make report private?" right under where you pur in the name of the report to make it private from the start.

I just had one more question. I just saw your latest post on a little bit of downtime you had and noticed you mentioned you were right there to resolve the issues. So I got curious and did a ping and saw you're on a Comcast connection. I do hope you're on a Business service with this because I know offhand that the Comcast residential service doesn't allow hosting a server on it as per their AUP.

Do you have plans to eventually colocate this or are you just looking to minimize the cost of running this by keeping it at your home/office through Comcast?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast