+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can we haz threat meter yet?

  1. #1
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default Can we haz threat meter yet?

    I would really really love to make a threat meter to go along with the dps meters but without knowing the threat coefficients of abilities or without an event.combat.threat to go along with .damage it is a monumental undertaking.

    now before everyone starts conjuring up a nay-saying poo storm i would like to say a few things:

    1) yes i realize threat meters are not needed. but dps get epeen meters why can't tanks?

    2) threat meters can't possibly hurt the game "skill" level since threat is already so easy to get and maintain that dps don't even need to hold back at all and tanks don't have to worry constantly about losing threat. see point #1


    the point is, its just something that's nice to have and it would be DEAD easy for a dev to just publicly release the threat coefficients on abilities. the other option which would take more work would be to add .threat to combat API, not as easy but its not too complicated either...

    please?

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Noshei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    We have the knowledge of how to do this, but unfortunately without greater access to the talent trees for all players we can't actually make this happen. So at this point, nothing we can do, but maybe in the future.

  3. #3
    Champion Lorandii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    516

    Default

    The only way to do this is to go back to the old LibThreat idea before WoW provided the threat APIs. What the lib did was scan the player's talents and spells, took a guess at what "does significantly more threat" means, and then sent that information via addon communication.

    It can be done in Rift, but it will be messy. Very, very messy. It also means that in order for you to see another person's threat, both of you would need the library. In a raid of 20 people, try to force, or just encourage, all of them to install one addon.

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer Noshei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    The only way to do this is to go back to the old LibThreat idea before WoW provided the threat APIs. What the lib did was scan the player's talents and spells, took a guess at what "does significantly more threat" means, and then sent that information via addon communication.

    It can be done in Rift, but it will be messy. Very, very messy. It also means that in order for you to see another person's threat, both of you would need the library. In a raid of 20 people, try to force, or just encourage, all of them to install one addon.
    Except that we have no way to see even your own talents. That is where the biggest problem is at, without being able to see when specific talents a player has there is no way to know if they should have any threat modifiers.

  5. #5
    Champion Bizar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    Except that we have no way to see even your own talents. That is where the biggest problem is at, without being able to see when specific talents a player has there is no way to know if they should have any threat modifiers.
    Would it be possible to account for what talents are available and allow the player to enter what they have? Like having a settings window in the addon where you enter what extra threat abilities you have?

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizar View Post
    Would it be possible to account for what talents are available and allow the player to enter what they have? Like having a settings window in the addon where you enter what extra threat abilities you have?
    That would be possible, but most players want addons that work right out of the box, not those that require you to configure them each time you change souls or respec.

    Consider too that the addon would need every player in the raid having it installed, as Lorandii pointed above.

    We also would need to work with experimental coefficients for a while until we could nail the right ones, and even then they could change with any hotfix.

    So it's possible, but it's a daunting task, with a lot of obstacles and a high chance of players sending negative feedback to the author.

    It'd require somebody that did a lot of dungeons and raids, had a supportive guild / group of friends willing to help with the testing, a lot of time to dedicate to the addon and enough mental stamina to get it through from the earlier alpha versions to something worthy enough to release to the community.

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Noshei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    This is something that I have been wanting to do for a while now, but am unfortunately stuck waiting for the needed functionality to be added. But rest assured that once the functionality is there I will have a threat meter in the works.

  8. #8
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Zorba is there any way you can throw us a bone on this?

    even if it's not full API support, any information about coefficients and such would be helpful. perhaps just chuck a file in ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/data/

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts