+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Map APIs...

Default Map APIs...

Has anyone messed around with them, to see what and how they work? I tried Inspect.Map.List, Inspect.Map.Detail, and Inspect.Zone.Detail in the main chunk just to see what would happen. My intent was to dump the information found and passed to saved variables, but the SV had "nil" in it rather than the expected returns.

Are these inspectors only available during or after some event? I checked the PTS events, and nothing said "hey, the map is available to look at now" except possibly Event.Unit.Availability.Full. Is that the event we need to hook?

Plane Touched

The Map API allows you to retrieve locations (map markers), as shown in the minimap and the map window.

If you try Inspect.Map.List in a city, you should get nearby locations (map markers), as shops, quest givers...

With Inspect.Map.Detail you get extra info about those locations, as the text of the tooltip or the coordinates. IMHO it would be useful to get the icon texture string, and/or some kind of "human readable" type, as right now you have to guess the location type (for example, those locations starting with l00000018 are gatherables, but what are those starting with l00000072?)

Inspect.Map.Monitor allows you to check if the map monitor is active or not (you can activate or deactivate it through Command.Map.Monitor. If you turn on the monitor, you'll receive locations of dynamic things in your current zone like invasions, rifts... with coords updated every minute. If you have the monitor off, only nearby locations (those shown in the minimap) are available. If you have the map window open, all locations in the current zone will be available, and updated every few seconds, but their availability will be lost as soon as you close the window.

About Inspect.Zone.Detail, you can use it to get the localized name of a zone, or the type of that zone (warfront, instance...). I think you are supposed to pass it a ZoneID, that you can get from Inspect.Unit.Detail (.zone) or Event.Unit.Detail.Zone. The Guild API might be another source of zone IDs (haven't checked it).

Hmmm I tried calling the Inspectors on a level one character, upon immediate creation. I wonder if the starting location is "invalid" to check those APIs?

My whole intent was to post to a webpage or make a library file that converts IDs into human readable information, preferably localized. What I will do is try with a character outside of the starting area and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread