+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Map questions

  1. #1
    Champion Lorandii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    516

    Default Map questions

    Like all the other UI.Native.* elements, UI.Native.MapMain and UI.Native.MapMini (world map and mini map, respectively) are, at this point, useful merely as anchor points. In theory, we can attach items to them like any other frame.

    Is is possible to, say, have a table containing artifacts with their x, y, z coordinates, icons, and names, then apply micro-icons on either map? I'm thinking like WoW's GatherMate2 or Gatherer or HandyNotes.

    Or do we need more map APIs to accomplish said feat?

    The next question is about map graphic plates. Is there some way to retrieve the map graphics to use in addons, like Mapster or Atlas or some other map replacement addon? On that note, "Freemarch" is good, but having the actual map of Meridian would be better. Even better still would be the maps of each part of Meridian or Sanctum as both are multi-level cities. Right now, if you look at the world map and are in a group, everyone is congested on the Freemarch or Silverwood, when they ought to be in the maps of the respective cities.

    I did find maps of both Meridian & Sanctum, but can we use them to make map addons?

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Noshei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Is is possible to, say, have a table containing artifacts with their x, y, z coordinates, icons, and names, then apply micro-icons on either map? I'm thinking like WoW's GatherMate2 or Gatherer or HandyNotes.
    As it is now we don't have any means to alter or add to Native frames.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    IThe next question is about map graphic plates. Is there some way to retrieve the map graphics to use in addons, like Mapster or Atlas or some other map replacement addon? On that note, "Freemarch" is good, but having the actual map of Meridian would be better. Even better still would be the maps of each part of Meridian or Sanctum as both are multi-level cities. Right now, if you look at the world map and are in a group, everyone is congested on the Freemarch or Silverwood, when they ought to be in the maps of the respective cities.
    At this point there is no way for us to access the map textures, though I know it is something zorba has worked on, I think he had said it turned out to be a lot harder than expected.

  3. #3
    Champion Lorandii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    As it is now we don't have any means to alter or add to Native frames.
    I figured as much, which is why I was musing creating new frames, setting their texture with the appropriate graphic. Just wondering if we can get away with that without blowing up Watchdog or worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    At this point there is no way for us to access the map textures, though I know it is something zorba has worked on, I think he had said it turned out to be a lot harder than expected.
    In other words, we'd have to download them as images within an addon, and artificially bloat the size until we can access the native tiles?

    Or am I drinking my own bath water here? Besides, we have no way to set waypoints or ping the minimap, or other neat tricks. I am just thinking about very basic proof of concept stuff here. I'm sure we would much rather have access to the map tiles via the map APIs, commands to set waypoints, ping, and all that.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts