+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error message for all addons

Shadowlander

Default Error message for all addons

Hi,

For the first time I added a couple of addons (KaruulAlert and RiftHealer et al) to my setup. Upon booting, RIFT tells me that they run too slowly and suggests I disable them.

From a glance at other posts here I assume this is to do with that Watchdog feature. My question is, should I follow the advice or let them run? And is the slowness to do with the coding of the addon or my PC system (which sometimes has low FPS as it is a Core2Duo CPU)?

As someone who wants to be a healer, I just want a simple RIFT version of Healbot like I used in WOW. I urge Trion to support developers to the max or develop these tools themselves because frankly it is the biggest disadvantage RIFT has compared to WOW. (God, I miss Auctioneer).

Anyway, I hope this is the right forum to post such questions....

Cheers
    David

I'll let other authors answer this one for you. Those who are not publicly at war with the Watchdog and all it stands for.

But, a quick answer would be it's a combination of the Rift Client's performance, the Addon System, (possibly the Addon code, but usually a bit down the list) and lastly your machine.

The thing is, unless you're the author of the addons in question, you'll be the only one who can say "yeah I've done all I can to maintain it to be optimized as much as possible, feel free to ignore it."

Otherwise, it's a complete stab in the dark as to what the error means, is referring to or is even remotely accurate - and that's coming from an Addon Dev with 28 years programming experience.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

My advice would be:

Leave the addons running, and see how the client performs. Addons do have an impact on RIFT's performance, some more than others, and it's your choice whether the benefits of an addon outweigh the impact it has on your FPS.

This performance impact is very often not the fault of the addon author. A really well written addon that needs to do a lot of processing, or display a lot of things on the screen, will trigger performance warnings. At this point, they are basically unavoidable.

So... don't let the watchdog scare you into disabling addons. Make the decision yourself.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    My advice would be:

Leave the addons running, and see how the client performs. Addons do have an impact on RIFT's performance, some more than others, and it's your choice whether the benefits of an addon outweigh the impact it has on your FPS.

This performance impact is very often not the fault of the addon author. A really well written addon that needs to do a lot of processing, or display a lot of things on the screen, will trigger performance warnings. At this point, they are basically unavoidable.

So... don't let the watchdog scare you into disabling addons. Make the decision yourself.
    And, also. The Rift Client DOES have an impact on addon performance, since it bullies Addons in to receiving next to 0 CPU time all for itself, and then blames the Addons (regardless of UI elements).
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

+ Reply to Thread