+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karuul Alert v1.26 and the previous version

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Default Karuul Alert v1.26 and the previous version

Ok, so my Disruptive Strike, Cornered Beast and Bash Icons that I made haven't worked since 2 versions prior to 1.26. I updated 1.26 today and they were still funky. Here is what I had to do to get them to work..for now? Dunno but they work atm.

I disabled all other addons.
    All 3 were UNCHECKED COMBAT ONLY. They did not show.
    So I changed each one to show only COMBAT ONLY.
    With no other addons active this did the trick and was working as intended, they still disappeared out of combat.
    I then changed them all back to the original settings and then everything worked as intended. They were now all showing IN and OUT of COMBAT.

I then activated my other addons:
    Swords
    King Boss Mods
    Super Meter
    Wire's LUA Library
    Wire's NPSee
    Wire's OCD

The problem came back after I activated all the addons. So I just repeated the above steps with the addons active and the Icons are working as intended. This was bothersome but not gamebreaking. Please find out why this work around was needed. Thanks.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

I've been ahving serious issues with my alerts as well. They intermittently appear. Some of them have simply stopped working. Others only show up when the skill used is on CD.

Some work perfectly, just as they worked since I installed the add-on. All in all, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason behind the breakage. I mean, on a coding level, I'm sure it has something to do with the 1.9 shake-up, but... from an end-user PoV, it's pretty hard to see exactly what's causing the issue.

My senticar set of alerts (about 15 alerts) has vanished off the screen- not even the cooldowns pop up.
    My solo shaman alerts (a set of 8 alerts) works without fail.
    My Purifier set (18 alerts) Have vanished from the UI, but when I use a CD, the skill on CD appears, then vanishes after the timer finishes.

I'm confoozed....

I really wish I understood lua better so I could be more insightful, but I'd be lying if I said I had a clue what to look for at this point. We may be pointing out things that are completely trivial; on the other hand, each piece of data may lead to the missing link. *shrug*
    Last edited by Hawkmoon0028; 07-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Hawkemoon- Cleric- Greybriar
    Waiting for: Star Citizen

Sounds like a global variable or other non-localized conflict. Talk to the authors of your installed addons for fixes or updates. I've looked at some code before to see how other authors did something, and along the way, I noticed quite a bit of global polution.

Both Karuul Alert and King Boss Mods suffer from this issue. KBM might be a case of forced practice because of plugin support, but KA needs a rewrite, probably minor but time consuming. I can't speak to the other addons you listed.

The only globals in KBM should be.. erm none. lol

So, if you see any let me know please. Some of the code dates way back so some may still be lingering, although I do remove them if I come across them during code-rewrites.

The only globals are in LibSRM, which didn't have the luxury of the Inspect.Addon.Detail, and attach it's main commands inside .data which is how my plug-in system works.

If I remember correctly .data is private data which can be access by other addons without using the global namespace.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Semele View Post
    The only globals in KBM should be.. erm none. lol

So, if you see any let me know please. Some of the code dates way back so some may still be lingering, although I do remove them if I come across them during code-rewrites.
    I haven't checked KBM in a while, but in it's case, I wasn't talking about variables, but rather the addon itself. I think you are using the private table now anyway, which makes my point moot!

Quote Originally Posted by Semele View Post
    The only globals are in LibSRM, which didn't have the luxury of the Inspect.Addon.Detail, and attach it's main commands inside .data which is how my plug-in system works.

If I remember correctly .data is private data which can be access by other addons without using the global namespace.
    LibSRM, and all libraries for that matter, are inherently creating global references to themselves. Since the private table can't pass the addon variable, and thus not functions either, to outside code, it has to be that way. So yes, you are correct (but you knew that already, you sly dog)!

If someone has tested and proven that the addon variable can be passed outside of an addon via Inspect.Addon.Detail, better let Zorba know. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't work that way...

The design of your plugin system isn't a classic design. Yours are actually extra folders for the same addon that don't actually ship with said addon, which is why you can pass the data. If, on the other hand, your plugins were truly independent, and only requiring KBM's existence and base plugin code, it would be different.

At least that's what I think you are doing, but in the end KBM is not the problem. Karuul Alert is the problematic addon. KA is the addon causing the OP's conflicts.

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Ok, so I just logged back into my warrior and the problem has reoccurred. So whether logging out of game or some other thing has caused the problem to reoccur.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

Rift Disciple

I am also having issues with alerts not working. renaming then deleting the old one they work for a while, but then break again soon after. Quite annoying

you have to click on them and re save them to work, do it every time after logging on, sucks but that is currently the work around i use.

This happens to all abilities you try to track.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Both Karuul Alert and King Boss Mods suffer from this issue. KBM might be a case of forced practice because of plugin support, but KA needs a rewrite, probably minor but time consuming. I can't speak to the other addons you listed.
    I'm not sure which code you are referring to, but there are only two global variables used by KaruulAlert: "kAlert" and "kUtils". Of course, it could be minimized by using the private table more, but I highly doubt this will make any difference to the issue of the OP.

There have been similar reports to the problem that was described in the thread, but so far I've not been able to identify the cause of the problem. For the majority of people it works fine, which makes it difficult. Rest assured it is being worked on.
    Last edited by Thorarin; 07-15-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Default Version 1.28 out

I've released version 1.28, which should fix this issue (and a couple more obscure ones).

You may still need to switch roles and/or use the ability scanner once to fix your existing alerts, but it will be a one time thing.

It's available on RiftUI right now, Curse is pending approval.

Works like a charm now!

Thorarin= GOD. /endthread.

*Edit: eeehhhh, better add Snarty and Wildtide to that list too.
    Last edited by Hawkmoon0028; 07-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon0028 View Post
    Works like a charm now!
    Thorarin= GOD. /endthread.
    Pretty sure I'm not, or I wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place In hindsight, it was pretty silly. Then again, the majority of bugs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorarin View Post
    I've released version 1.28, which should fix this issue (and a couple more obscure ones).

You may still need to switch roles and/or use the ability scanner once to fix your existing alerts, but it will be a one time thing.

It's available on RiftUI right now, Curse is pending approval.
    Awesome!, thx for your work on the addon man!
    Just Waiting...

Found another bug.

I have it track my Mage dots like Dark Touch and Searing vitality ect, self only. ATM it fails to be able to tell the diff if a dot is mine or another persons. Example another mage puts Dark Touch on the mob and it tells me my Dark Touch is on the mob.
    Just Waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    Found another bug.

I have it track my Mage dots like Dark Touch and Searing vitality ect, self only. ATM it fails to be able to tell the diff if a dot is mine or another persons. Example another mage puts Dark Touch on the mob and it tells me my Dark Touch is on the mob.
    QQ I noticed this in raid tonight with my Purifier Crystal buff as well. It counts ANY person's buff, even with the "Self Cast Only" checkbox ticked.

Hey, it's ALMOST flawless... I blame Trion for taking the API and shaking it upside down >.>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast