+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noshei

Thread: How to get started?

Default How to get started?

First let me say, I'm a bonafide programmer. In fact one of the few that still did COBOL up to some time ago.

Second, I am interested in creating Addons but dont have any indication of language, format, syntax, and compilation. I have no idea where to get started.

Would someone please point me in the right direction. As much info as possible would be appreciated.

http://forums.riftgame.com/addon-api...resources.html

Great write up from another Addon Author.

LUA + XML. If you ever did WoW addons, API seems pretty similar. I'm just getting into it myself. Working on an inventory add-on myself atm. If you've done C++ or Java or really any of the modern languages, LUA should seem familiar. Its typing (and some of its boolean operations with strings) is a little weird, but otherwise, it's quick to pick it up.

RIftUI website is good.

I'm finding everything online regarding the API is insufficiently detailed or very outdated and the LUA community is largely unhelpful unless you have some bizarre theoretical question, it's not like AHK (awesome forum) where everyone is using it for games. You pretty much have to know LUA and XML and then just look at the API documentation yourself, IMO. RIFTUI has some forums but very few people post on them.

I'm reading this book (WoW Programming 2nd Edition) to pick up enough LUA programming to be functional. It's very good so far. Language itself borders on scripting. WoW API and Rift API are very similar in terms of how you write add-ons for them even if the API itself differs a bit but it's great in terms of understanding how LUA + XML work and interact.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft...dp_ob_title_bk

You can get it for about $15 off of ebay basically new, I did.

LOL, COBOL? Good Lord. I didn't know anyone actually still used that. DoD?

HTH,
    M
    Last edited by mistmare; 07-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Plane Touched

API documentation links are on sticky threads in this forums, they are these: Live / PTS

Another option is to use Seebs' browsable docs: Live / PTS

And a third one is to use the own API, via Inspect.Documentation

If you're starting, Imhothar's thread and NerfedWar's site will help you with the basics.

I don't feel the Rift Addon API is similar to the WoW one, apart from using Lua, and we don't use XML here (unless I've missed it :S).

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    we don't use XML here (unless I've missed it :S).
    You didn't miss XML; Zorba hates it, and I don't blame him, and so Rift doesn't support or use XML.

To the OP: pro tip -- Lua is Portuguese for "moon" and is the name of the scripting language used in several games including Rift and World of Warcraft. LUA has no meaning.

Rift's version of Lua is all table-based, if you haven't noticed by the API docs. It makes adding and removing events and return values very easy in the back end, but has its own issues. You'll get used to it.

It's RIFT, not Rift...

Sorry, couldn't resist

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    It's RIFT, not Rift...

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Smartass! Sometimes, you are far too awesome, DoomSprout!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Smartass! Sometimes, you are far too awesome, DoomSprout!
    LOL, I get accused of lots of things all the time, being too awesome isn't one of them though!

Anyway, before we derail this thread completely...

There are definite similarities between the two APIs, but also a lot of differences. The basic structure, consisting of a folder containing a .toc file (effectively a manifest for the addon), and a bunch of Lua + texture files is the same.

WoW's API is more complete, and is much more tightly integrated into the game itself. WoW uses the addon API to define it's own built in interface, which means it has to be able to handle absolutely everything.

RIFT's API is more detached as it is being added onto the game as an extension, and is still a work in progress: you will hit lots of stumbling blocks where you simply cannot do what you want. When this happens, post in here and Zorba will read it. He won't often respond directly, but you'll be surprised by how often things you ask for will show up in the patch notes

Also, if you are reading through this forum, don't be disheartened by all the comments about the 'watchdog'. It's a hot topic at the moment, and has generated a lot of emotion and heated debate. Things are normally a little more calm & friendly ;)

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    API documentation links are on sticky threads in this forums, they are these: Live / PTS

Another option is to use Seebs' browsable docs: Live / PTS

And a third one is to use the own API, via Inspect.Documentation

If you're starting, Imhothar's thread and NerfedWar's site will help you with the basics.

I don't feel the Rift Addon API is similar to the WoW one, apart from using Lua, and we don't use XML here (unless I've missed it :S).
    Huh my bad. Apologies. I thought the addons I was looking at just didn't feature it, LOL.

It does seem reasonably similar, but I haven't gotten very far into it, so I'll take y'all word for it.

+ Reply to Thread