+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Addon Developer Resources

Added LuaPad, MessageViewer and StorageViewer tools to the libraries section.
    Author of the Imhothar's Bags addon.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I updated some of my libraries recently. Also, I have an editor called RiftRC which is built more around executing code snippets than anything else -- it can be configured to run snippets at startup, and if you are using multiple accounts or collaborating, you can send code snippets to other users.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    seebs is hosting the entire addon API documentation for the Live Servers and the Public Test Server (commonly known as the PTS) in a convenient browsable format.
    In regards to the above quote I've noticed that its a out-of-dated! I figured until seebs gets the time to update his or whatever the case maybe I went ahead and updated it for the Rift 2.1 Addon API.

Rift API 2.1 Documentation - updated on 12/13/2012 by odine
    Last edited by 0dine; 12-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Telaran

Default Rift Textures

Is there anywhere to see what textures from Rift itself are avaliable and what their paths are?
    Idea would be like some of the icons used in the UI itself, roleicons, vitality and such.
    I went to the ftp but all I seen was ability icons and such.

Quote Originally Posted by TinnerKB View Post
    Is there anywhere to see what textures from Rift itself are avaliable and what their paths are?
    Idea would be like some of the icons used in the UI itself, roleicons, vitality and such.
    I went to the ftp but all I seen was ability icons and such.
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info...ureViewer.html

Telaran

Default Thanks

Just what I was looking for, thank you.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Just a note, I may not update the API docs very often. I believe DocExporter is up-to-date enough to continue generating new copies, though.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Does the Lua engine included in RIFT limit the access to any Lua functionalities? Mainly I would need require(), load() and loadfile().
    Also, about multi language addons, are there any ready-made addon APIs ? If not, can you suggest any viable ways of managing multi language addons?
    Myrah Level 60 Kelari Mage Current shard: Gelidra
    Stormcaller [59] Chloromancer [8] Dominator [7]
    Warlock [59] Chloromancer [8] Stormcaller [7]
    Chloromancer [59] Dominator [10] Stormcaller [5]

Quote Originally Posted by T3STY View Post
    Does the Lua engine included in RIFT limit the access to any Lua functionalities? Mainly I would need require(), load() and loadfile().
    Also, about multi language addons, are there any ready-made addon APIs ? If not, can you suggest any viable ways of managing multi language addons?
    Yes some lua functions are not available in rift. Anything that allows access to outside files is disabled. So I would guess that none of those functions would work in rift.

what a shame... it ruins all my plans of creating a nice addon with multiple files, which otherwise would be huge... is there any API that allows me to request those functions to be re-enabled?

EDIT
    in this post I found that the load() and loadstring() functions are still listed. Maybe they didn't remove all of the functions?
    Last edited by T3STY; 08-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.

what a shame... it ruins all my plans of creating a nice addon with multiple files, which otherwise would be huge... is there any API that allows me to request those functions to be re-enabled?

EDIT
    in this post I found that the load() and loadstring() functions are still listed. Maybe they didn't remove all of the functions?
    Let me clarify a bit. The only files that you can access are those located in the addon folder, or in the saved variables folder.

For the files in the addon folder you have a couple different types of files you can use, lua files, image files, and font files.

For the saved variables folder, these will be generated by the game from different commands you can use within your addon, and must also be specified in the addons toc file.

My intent was to dynamically load content using loadfile() (or dofile()).
    I would have my addon root directory and a few sub-directories in it which mostly contain .lua files. When the user will press buttons in the addon UI, content is loaded from those .lua files in the sub-directories. This dynamic content loading is due to the fact that there will be loads of MB+ of data, and I can't actually fully load it upon addon startup because of very obvious reasons. The content refers to crafting materials, ingredients, and crafting items vendors, with description and other things.
    I would use the same sub-directory and dynamic loading to present a localized UI: I simply load the specific language file which contains the localized strings upon addon startup, and reload it during addon use if the user decides to switch language.
    I know I'm getting a bit offtopic here... but is this achievable to you? Just let me know that, and as soon as I have a base I will open a development topic and recruit some helpers ;-)

My intent was to dynamically load content using loadfile() (or dofile()).
    I would have my addon root directory and a few sub-directories in it which mostly contain .lua files. When the user will press buttons in the addon UI, content is loaded from those .lua files in the sub-directories. This dynamic content loading is due to the fact that there will be loads of MB+ of data, and I can't actually fully load it upon addon startup because of very obvious reasons. The content refers to crafting materials, ingredients, and crafting items vendors, with description and other things.
    I would use the same sub-directory and dynamic loading to present a localized UI: I simply load the specific language file which contains the localized strings upon addon startup, and reload it during addon use if the user decides to switch language.
    I know I'm getting a bit offtopic here... but is this achievable to you? Just let me know that, and as soon as I have a base I will open a development topic and recruit some helpers ;-)

I dont really think that is do able at all. Addons are basically either loaded or they are not loaded. If they are loaded, then everything that is a part of that addon is loaded into the game.

I would highly doubt that you could be loading more data than what Bananah uses, well into the 10+ MB range of text.

Also addons are only loaded at certain times during the game (initially logging into a character and when doing /reloadui).

The addon loading process is completely automated by the game, we have to way to delay it or have any real interaction with it other than the limited options that are available within the toc file (the main option which is available dependencies and the order in which they load with relation to the main addon).

So basically, don't worry about dynamic loading. You'll just load everything when the addon is loaded. You can then control when that data is accessed. Also keep in mind you dont always have to load everything from external files, you could very well pull the data from the game directly (depending on the data).
    Last edited by Noshei; 08-03-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I think I got it ;) Thank you very much for info!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2