+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DoomSprout
  • 1 Post By Baanano
  • 1 Post By DoomSprout

Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

I thought there was some sort of guide sticked but I guess I was wrong...

After some thought I have come up with a few different simple addons that i would like to develop. I just need some help with a few things...

What software do i need to start developing addons?
    Is there any documentation of commands to help me learn Lua?
    Are there any online tutorials to help me get started?

Thanks
    Last edited by thoroar; 06-30-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Quote Originally Posted by thoroar View Post
    I thought there was some sort of guide sticked but I guess I was wrong...

After some thought I have come up with a few different simple addons that i would like to develop. I just need some help with a few things...

What software do i need to start developing addons?
    Is there any documentation of commands to help me learn Lua?
    Are there any online tutorials to help me get started?

Thanks
    Hi,

Q. What software do i need to start developing addons?

Notepad ... The way I do it, is to use LuaEclipse, but an IDE is personal choice of course. I don't actually like Eclipse all that much, but it does the job.

I run Rift in windowed mode for quick alt-tabbing between the editor and the game, and every time you want to test your addon, you just type /reloadui into the Rift client to restart your addons.

Q. Is there any documentation of commands to help me learn Lua?

The best reference is Programming in Lua (PiL): Start Here

Q. Are there any online tutorials to help me get started?

Not really, no. You could start over at RiftUI, with this, but you'll really learn a lot more taking apart some existing simple addons to see how they work.

The documentation for the API is actually available in-game, if you install the Trion development tools from ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/addon/. Just install that addon, type /log to turn on your non-combat log, "type /dump detail", and then look at Log.txt in your Rift directory.

Alternatively, have a look at Zorba's pastebin of the docs: http://pastebin.com/u/ZorbaTHut

The most recent detailed docs (probably still the PTS docs right now) are the ones you want.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Thank you for the help! Just a few more questions..

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    Hi,

Q. What software do i need to start developing addons?

Notepad ... The way I do it, is to use LuaEclipse, but an IDE is personal choice of course. I don't actually like Eclipse all that much, but it does the job.
    I had a look on the LuaEclipse site but I'm still not sure what it is. Is it similer to notepad?
    Also is notepad++ any good?
    Capes
    Cloaks

I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Eclipse is an IDE, or Integrated Development Environment, while Notepad++ is a text editor with syntax highlighting.

Where I find Eclipse useful for addon development is that it allows you to set up a project which keeps all of the files for your addon together in one place, letting you open them from a tree view. I also use it's Git integration for version control of my source code, but that's probably not something to worry about right now.

At the end of the day, an addon is just a bunch of text files, it's down to personal preference how you edit them.

If you're not a developer now, so are not familiar with using an IDE (such as Eclipse or Visual Studio), I'd just use Notepad++. It is a really good text editor, and will do exactly what you need.

Don't use Notepad, it's not actually very good for editing code. You asked what was "needed", and that is the bare minimum, but I wouldn't recommend it

Thanks for helping a 'noob' out! Can't wait to get started!
    Capes
    Cloaks

I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Ok so I have written a simple Hello world program. Now how do i run it? Do i need a compiler? I know Mac has terminal, is there a windows one as well.
    Capes
    Cloaks

I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Ok so I have written a simple Hello world program. Now how do i run it? Do i need a compiler? I know Mac has terminal, is there a windows one as well.
    Nice one!

You need an interpreter, not a compiler (the only visible difference being you will run your script directly without creating an .exe file from it first). Lua ships with an interpreter. The easiest way to install it is to head over to http://code.google.com/p/luaforwindows/. Install that, and from a Windows command line, you'll have a "lua" command available.

So if you have created a file:

C:\Temp\HelloWorld.lua

You can open a command prompt:

Start -> Run -> cmd

Then type in:

Code:
    C:
    CD \Temp
    lua HelloWorld.lua
    To see your code run.

However, if you do install Lua for Windows, there's a nicer way to test code. You'll have an item in your Start menu "SCiTE". Run this, and open your program in that editor. Hit F5, and you'll see the output from your program within the editor itself. This is a really nice way to try stuff out in Lua.

On the other hand, if your Hello World program is an addon for Rift, you'll have to install it as an addon in Rift as usual, and use Rift to test it.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 07-02-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Plane Touched

I found NerfedWar's site a good reading to start with Rift addons, and his LuaPad addon is really helpful to learn. I still use it daily

https://sites.google.com/site/nerfed...ddon-tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    I found NerfedWar's site a good reading to start with Rift addons, and his LuaPad addon is really helpful to learn. I still use it daily

https://sites.google.com/site/nerfed...ddon-tutorials
    Thanks for that! It's looks really helpful!
    Last edited by thoroar; 07-02-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Capes
    Cloaks

I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Ok so I'm play around a bit with different ideas and i was just wondering if there is an event for when someone logs on/off in guild chat or something like that?
    Last edited by thoroar; 07-03-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    Capes
    Cloaks

I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Ok so I'm play around a bit with different ideas and i was just wondering if there is an event for when someone logs on/off in guild chat or something like that?
    Have a look here:
    http://www.seebs.net/rift/live/full.html

Anything in that list that starts with Event.* is an event that the game can currently fire. To answer your specific question, no, not yet

- Wildtide

+ Reply to Thread