+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Addon positioning

Rift Chaser

Default Addon positioning

When I log out and back in, all my addons are in a big pile in the middle of the screen. Game does not remember where I left them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Unfortunately, addons have to fix this themselves. I've got a LibDraggable that I embed in other addons to provide some positioning, but it's not very well considered right now.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    When I log out and back in, all my addons are in a big pile in the middle of the screen. Game does not remember where I left them. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Is this a new problem with 1.9? It sounds like something has gone wrong with your saved variables.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

There is a possibility there, as the addon system will now look in personal directories for addon stuff too.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

Always has worked fine until about a week ago then every time they are not where I dragged them the last time I logged out.

Rift Chaser

Does anyone know where the window positioning is stored? Is it a file that I can delete and allow the patcher to recreate it?

Check your My Documents, with 1.9 Addon saved files should be stored in a folder there.

This change should resolve your issues, unless it is something really wierd.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    Check your My Documents, with 1.9 Addon saved files should be stored in a folder there.

This change should resolve your issues, unless it is something really wierd.
    Note that it won't move people's existing saved files, it'll just check in a new location for them. Chances are good most people's saved files are still in the old location.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Note that it won't move people's existing saved files, it'll just check in a new location for them. Chances are good most people's saved files are still in the old location.
    Does it copy everything to the new location? I've had a decent number of people in my guild have issues with updating their addons because everything was copied to the new location, but they were still updating the old location.

Also what is the exact path that is created, and is there any checks that would prevent it from being created?
    Last edited by Noshei; 06-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    Does it copy everything to the new location? I've had a decent number of people in my guild have issues with updating their addons because everything was copied to the new location, but they were still updating the old location.

Also what is the exact path that is created, and is there any checks that would prevent it from being created?
    It doesn't copy anything anywhere. I'm honestly not sure what's up with the people in your guild All it does is check in a new location first, then default to the new location if it can't find addons anywhere.

It's possible that third-party addon updater programs are copying things around - that's the best guess I have.

Rift Chaser

This is great discussion but can anyone tell me why the positioning of the addons is not saving? What file holds the screen coordinates and what can be done to get it to save the changes? It only became an issue last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    This is great discussion but can anyone tell me why the positioning of the addons is not saving? What file holds the screen coordinates and what can be done to get it to save the changes? It only became an issue last week.
    If nothing is saving, I'd possibly suggest removing the interface folder entirely (this is perfectly safe and will only effect addons and their saved data - nothing Rift related is held inside this folder). And start from fresh, which would default now to you "My Documents" location.

This should help you more in the long run, at the cost of a small amount of one-time set-up.

Ensure you are completely out of Rift when making any changes, and when starting the fresh installation of your addons, use the "Open Addon Directory" button on the Addon manager in Rift to pull up the correct location and allow Rift to create the default directories.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

+ Reply to Thread