+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daily Error report - fixed, but WTH?

Default Daily Error report - fixed, but WTH?

I got an error for my old CallbackHandler port, and along the way, found a bug with LibStub. Both are fixed, but there is one "bug" I had to fix which I do not think should be a bug.
    Code:
    Error: LibCallbackHandler/LibCallbackHandler.lua:5: unexpected symbol near '.'
        In LibCallbackHandler / LibCallbackHandler.lua
    The offending lines are upvalued code:
    Code:
    -- Lua APIs
    local table.concat = table.concat -- this is the offending line. once commented, no problems!
    local assert, error, loadstring = assert, error, loadstring
    local setmetatable, rawset, rawget = setmetatable, rawset, rawget
    local next, select, pairs, type, tostring = next, select, pairs, type, tostring
    Why does every other upvalued API work as intended, but not table.concat? Seems silly to me.

you cannot declare a local "table.concat", you need a local "table" table first before you can assign it members. "table.concat" is usually upvalued as "tconcat" because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    you cannot declare a local "table.concat", you need a local "table" table first before you can assign it members. "table.concat" is usually upvalued as "tconcat" because of this.
    Good to know. Strange (to me anyway) that it works as-is in WoW, but has to be changed to your suggested method in Rift. The table.* functions are Lua-neutral, and not game dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Good to know. Strange (to me anyway) that it works as-is in WoW, but has to be changed to your suggested method in Rift. The table.* functions are Lua-neutral, and not game dependent.
    That's not the point. The "local" in front is the problem, that is illegal syntax. I'm sure it doesn't compile in WoW either as both use the Lua 5.1 frontend.

As per Lua syntax local must be followed by a namelist. A namelist is defined as a coma-separated list of Names and a Name is an identifier like abc. But table.concat is syntactic sugar for table["concat"] which is an expression, so what you are trying to do is
    Code:
    local table["concat"] = table.concat
    That just looks wrong

You can look this up in chapter 2 of the Lua 5.1 Reference Manual

What you are basically trying to do is create a local table AND give it a member concat in one expression, which is not possible as a local statement. If you removed the local and wrote
    Code:
    table.concat = table.concat
    it becomes a no-op.

I think what you intended to do was:
    Code:
    local table = { concat = table.concat }
    So in fact, if that compiles in WoW it is wrong there and correct in Rift.

Edit: Imho beat me to the reply

It's really odd that that works in WoW tbh. You can't declare a table member as local - either the *table* is local or not, members of a table can't be declared as local (they are scoped to the table).

Ie, even if 'mytable' already exists...

Code:
    local mytable.myvalue = 10
    ... is always invalid Lua.

To do what you want, you could use:

Code:
    local table = table
    but a call to table.concat would still require an index lookup into the local table, so creating a tconcat local would still be best performance-wise.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 06-27-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Imhothar & DoomSprout, thank you for the replies. You learn something new each day, as the expression goes. Funny that Rift catches a bug that WoW lets slip. Yep, I admit it was a bug in my code in the first place, but since I've never been hit with it before, that explains why I didn't know.

Again, thank you to both of you.

+ Reply to Thread