Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Daily Addon Error Reports

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Daily Addon Error Reports

Starting quite soon, every addon developer may begin receiving daily reports about addon errors! These reports compile the last week's worth of data and give info on the most common errors the users of your addons have experienced.

They'll look something like this:

Daily Addon Error Reports-errors_wildtide.jpg

(Thanks to Wildtide for volunteering to show his errors publicly )

The error reporting system will filter out uncommon errors and will also show only the five most common errors for a specific addon version. If you've got an addon showing less than five errors, but with only a small fraction of your errors reported, let me know and I can dig out information on the rest. If you don't have *any* errors that fall under those categories you probably just won't receive emails.

If you're not interested in receiving regular error reports, either reply to the daily report, email Addons@RIFTgame.com and request an unsubscribe, or send me a private message on the forums with your email address.

We're hoping this will provide addon developers with the information they need to make stable and functional addons for the whole community!

I received one of these this morning, and I quite like it !

DamageCounter

1.8r1

100% of reported errors:
    Error: DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:169: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'sx' (a nil value)
    In DamageCounter / DamageCounter.DGC.Icon:MouseMove
    stack traceback:
    DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:169: in function <DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:165>

1.7r6

95% of reported errors:
    Error: DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:209: attempt to index a nil value
    In DamageCounter / OnUpdate, event Event.System.Update.Begin
    stack traceback:
    DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:209: in function 'SetText'
    DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:439: in function <DamageCounter/DamageCounter_Main.lua:428>
    So presumably the missing 5% of errors on 1.7r6 were those uncommon ones you mentioned? Is there anyway to get them all ?

Secondly, I tend to version my addons as a release number on the current game version.

So those 1.7r6 errors are from release 6 of the addon, when 1.7 was current.

Is there any possibility of filtering out errors on non-current versions of addons? I have no particular interest in seeing errors from old versions of addons!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Champion

A very good feature indeed. Hope you don't include the performance warnings, cause no matter what, I can't get the cpu usage of some config UIs of my addons down below 1 second. So I see myself being spammed with the same 5 over and over again :P

Cheers
    N.

Rift Disciple

I got the following and I'm not sure what to do about it:

LibSimpleWidgets

92% of reported errors:
    Error: file not found
    In LibSimpleWidgets / tabview.lua
    8% of reported errors:
    In LibSimpleWidgets / eventproxy.lua
    Version 1.8.1 is 6 months old, there have been many versions released since then. And I don't recall ever getting any reports from my users about files missing from the download. I'm guessing this from a copy embedded in another add-on which hasn't been updated. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that...
    Last edited by dOxxx; 06-26-2012 at 05:16 AM.

My error is also from an old version of Gadgets; a filter on version would be nice, but I have no idea how we could have that given that the addon repositories aren't managed by Trion (and if Zorba tried to record the latest version of an addon automatically, someone could really mess you up by editing their .toc file locally).

I also suspect I'm going to get spammed tomorrow with all of the errors I just caused while working on Gadgets today, must move all of my dev to the PTS at some point

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Champion

If possible it would be very nice to filter out errors which are caused by the author himself.

Some way to specifiy the minimum version would also be very welcome. With the large number of addons there's a tendency to get a rather messy big mail. I was very suprised what old versions where still being used. Some versions were older than 6 months oO

Cheers
    N.

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    If possible it would be very nice to filter out errors which are caused by the author himself.

Some way to specifiy the minimum version would also be very welcome. With the large number of addons there's a tendency to get a rather messy big mail. I was very suprised what old versions where still being used. Some versions were older than 6 months oO

Cheers
    N.
    Author based development errors should never show in the Error Reports as the report system relies on more than X people getting the error more than X times etc. So it already has some internal filtering.

You have to look at old version reports as a way to spot when people have moved on and finally up-dated. If an error report appears in an old version, and it's a bug you've fixed - and it never appears above that version you can be confident that the bug was indeed squashed.

Once you're happy with the older reports, and you know you've nailed all the bugs there you can just ignore them and hope that players finally update your addon. For me, I enjoy seeing old versions drop off the report list.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Semele View Post
    Author based development errors should never show in the Error Reports as the report system relies on more than X people getting the error more than X times etc. So it already has some internal filtering.

You have to look at old version reports as a way to spot when people have moved on and finally up-dated. If an error report appears in an old version, and it's a bug you've fixed - and it never appears above that version you can be confident that the bug was indeed squashed.

Once you're happy with the older reports, and you know you've nailed all the bugs there you can just ignore them and hope that players finally update your addon. For me, I enjoy seeing old versions drop off the report list.
    I have to maintain 12 different addons and 6 different libs. The mail I got today was a bit ... messy ;)

Cheers
    N.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    So presumably the missing 5% of errors on 1.7r6 were those uncommon ones you mentioned? Is there anyway to get them all ?
    Once everything is settled down a bit, the answer is generally going to be "ask me about it and I'll go find you an error report or two". That said, uncommon means *really* uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    Is there any possibility of filtering out errors on non-current versions of addons? I have no particular interest in seeing errors from old versions of addons!
    Probably not. Note that people are still using those obsolete versions :V However, it will display at most three versions per addon.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by dOxxx View Post
    Version 1.8.1 is 6 months old, there have been many versions released since then. And I don't recall ever getting any reports from my users about files missing from the download. I'm guessing this from a copy embedded in another add-on which hasn't been updated. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that...
    I may do something explicitly different with file-not-found errors - they should probably be sent to whoever has it embedded. I wasn't expecting those to be such a major source of errors, but, well, here we are.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    I also suspect I'm going to get spammed tomorrow with all of the errors I just caused while working on Gadgets today, must move all of my dev to the PTS at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    One of the checks is that errors which occured for only one user won't be sent. As long as you're not doing development on two clients, you'll never see your dev errors.
    Last edited by ZorbaTHut; 06-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Okay, so, I got:

"Addon Error Daily Report
    LibDraggable

0.3-120622-22:39:15

100% of reported errors:
    In LibDraggable / LibDraggable.lua"

Any hope that this could tell me WHAT file was not found? Or is it saying the file "LibDraggable.lua" wasn't found?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Any hope that this could tell me WHAT file was not found? Or is it saying the file "LibDraggable.lua" wasn't found?
    It's saying the file "LibDraggable.lua" wasn't found.

It's entirely possible these errors should be sent out to whoever's embedding you, but that'll be a 1.9 hotfix1 change at earliest.

Would be nice if bug report also included number of reported errors, not just percentage.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Huh. Well, it's theoretically possible that one's my fault somehow, but I think it works in my copies.

I used to have all sorts of trouble in WoW because I was on a case-sensitive filesystem and addon authors were really careless about that.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast