+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoc

Thread: "Fails" addon

Zoc
    Soulwalker

Default "Fails" addon

Hello,

Recently, I've been missing a "fails" addon, that points out who's screwing up with mechanics on bosses (Pretty much like EnsidiaFails was on WoW... IT was pretty simple when I played, not sure if it changed too much).

With that purpose, I started putting something together (more like modifying an existing addon) that prints in the chat window (I couldn't figure out how to speak in raid...) who screwed up with basic damaging abilities (3 basic abilities for the Akylios fight).

While doing this, I realized that I don't have the required time to create and maintain a good addon for that purpose, specially when attempting to track more complex abilities.

So my question is: Is there already an addon for that out there, someone creating one, or someone willing to ?

I can share this simple mod (as soon as I fix a little bug) if there are people interested.

Thanks in advance

King boss mods has a feature called "Mechanic Spy" and it seems to do what you want, you just have to manuially look at the bar to see the name.

As what comes for automatically griefing people with an addon, I don't think it'll be healty to the raid.

I don't understand why people want this to be honest. I mean it would be nice to know, but to print it out would be as stated earlier--"griefing".

By the way, I don't see why you couldn't just print out to raid by using print(), but just prepend the message with "/raid"? I haven't tried it, but would that work?

Zoc
    Soulwalker

This addon isn't supposed to be used in pugs, it's supposed to be used by raid leaders to help them to "sand the rough edges" of his raid. As you can see, I've added only the Akylios fight (which is hardly "pug-able").

Sometimes, people screw up without even knowing that. This will also help them pay more attention to whatever mechanic is giving them trouble or help a raid mate understand why they're screwing up.

and... print() doesn't work to "speak" in chat.

Zoc
    Soulwalker

For those interested: https://github.com/TheZoc/rift-addons/

There you have a mod to the SimpleMeter addon which will print in chat (it *won't* say in raid) people who screwed up in 3 abilities on Akylios fight. It still needs to be tested.

I hope this can lead to something close to EnsidiaFails someday

Too many variables to lay blame on a player simply based on what simple meters tells you.

Consider a failed orb of suffocation where the affected player has moved promptly to the stacking point, everyone is stacked, then 4 of them run away too early leaving 3 behind to die, the guys who run away early are the ones who have failed the mechanic but you cannot detect that from the logs.

Who will the addon point the finger at in the above scenario? (most common cause of a fail orb)
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zoc View Post
    This addon isn't supposed to be used in pugs, it's supposed to be used by raid leaders to help them to "sand the rough edges" of his raid. As you can see, I've added only the Akylios fight (which is hardly "pug-able").

Sometimes, people screw up without even knowing that. This will also help them pay more attention to whatever mechanic is giving them trouble or help a raid mate understand why they're screwing up.

and... print() doesn't work to "speak" in chat.

Aky is actually totally "Pug-able". There is a pug group on Faeblight that takes random members and downs him every week. Last week was a 1 shot. It is led by the same folks each week, but that's about it. I DO love the idea of the addon though, which is what caught my attention when I saw the name of the post. I've been trying for months to get my guild to impliment something along the lines of 5 plat per wave you eat, 7 plat for not jumping platforms, and maybe 5 plat for not getting your *** together if you're mind controlled. Plat going to the guild bank, some sort of "Derp Jar" concept. :P
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Zoc
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    Aky is actually totally "Pug-able". There is a pug group on Faeblight that takes random members and downs him every week. Last week was a 1 shot. It is led by the same folks each week, but that's about it. I DO love the idea of the addon though, which is what caught my attention when I saw the name of the post. I've been trying for months to get my guild to impliment something along the lines of 5 plat per wave you eat, 7 plat for not jumping platforms, and maybe 5 plat for not getting your *** together if you're mind controlled. Plat going to the guild bank, some sort of "Derp Jar" concept. :P
    Nice

I hope this addon helps your guild then, It's easily adaptable to include more (simple) damaging abilities

---

Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Too many variables to lay blame on a player simply based on what simple meters tells you.

Consider a failed orb of suffocation where the affected player has moved promptly to the stacking point, everyone is stacked, then 4 of them run away too early leaving 3 behind to die, the guys who run away early are the ones who have failed the mechanic but you cannot detect that from the logs.

Who will the addon point the finger at in the above scenario? (most common cause of a fail orb)
    As I said, I don't have the necessary time to create and maintain a more complete addon to track complex skills. This was just a "quick hack" I put together by modifying SimpleMeter to show these 3 skills.

If someone is willing to give a hand and turn it into a full featured addon, I can probably try to help here and there with it's development, but it isn't something I can fully commit at the moment

+ Reply to Thread