+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Addon development is now very difficult on PTS

Default Addon development is now very difficult on PTS

With the new error trapping, we no longer get useful error messages out of the system, which makes debugging really difficult.

Please give us the option to have error messages written to the console as they currently are on live, before these changes get pushed over.

Even if the pop-up box displayed a proper stack trace instead of just showing the error hooks, I still find the old method a lot easier for developing stuff (even better would be a separate addon error console instead of all going to default chat, but that would just be a bonus).

I can see the benefit of the pop up box for end users, but I think we need a 'developer mode'.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 05-22-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    With the new error trapping, we no longer get useful error messages out of the system, which makes debugging really difficult.

Please give us the option to have error messages written to the console as they currently are on live, before these changes get pushed over.

Even if the pop-up box displayed a proper stack trace instead of just showing the error hooks, I still find the old method a lot easier for developing stuff (even better would be a separate addon error console instead of all going to default chat, but that would just be a bonus).

I can see the benefit of the pop up box for end users, but I think we need a 'developer mode'.
    Already implemented! Check out the settings - there's two checkboxes under "Misc" that do what you want.

(I think the tooltips are reversed, actually, we'll fix that)

That said, the non-useful error messages are a different issue than the new error display system. There's some glitch going on in the event system that is causing broken errors. That's just a bug, and we'll fix that.

I'd normally post the patch notes right now, but it seems like things are broken enough that doing so wouldn't be terribly useful. Wait until things are stabler

That's awesome, thanks Zorba. I didn't even think to check the settings. I should have trusted that you'd have thought of us already, but then, I wasn't chosen for my faith
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 05-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

You're probably already aware, but even with the boxes ticked, errors seem to be getting silently swallowed on the PTS.

Edit: Forgot to mention, when I first logged in, I got the error box. I went to tick the options to turn it off thinking they must have been reset, and they were both ticked already.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 05-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    You're probably already aware, but even with the boxes ticked, errors seem to be getting silently swallowed on the PTS.
    It turns out the problem is that the new Settings API is bugged on real clients, and - ironically - the error handler is causing errors and breaking everything.

Fix is on the way, though!

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

Fix is in. Let me know if you run into any further problems doing dev on the PTS.

I also highly recommend reading the latest patch notes.

+ Reply to Thread