+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for co-authors and help

Champion

Default Looking for co-authors and help

Hi guys

Finally the moment has arrived where I have to tell you that ... nah not that I'm quitting Rift. I just don't have any time anymore to maintain all of my addons. The number of addons I wrote are way too many for me to properly maintain. Feature requests and even some minor bug reports are piling up and I just don't have the time to work on all of it. That's the reason for my post: Looking for people who are interested in supporting the nkRange of addons as co-author or in other means.

The need for help varies from addon to addon, but one thing does all this have in common: There is no financial or other benefit to be had from helping out. The only thing I can offer is credit where credit is due. Everybody giving a hand will be mentioned on the about page of the respective addon. Of course I'll enable co-authors at Curseforge to work on the projects. This is all about handing out addons to the Rift community and making the experience of Rift better for those willing to use addons.

Me personally I'll concentrate mainly on nkThings for the moment. nkAdvisor will get loot table updates and nkRebuff will get love if really needed. On top of this I'll make sure that my main library nkGenie will stay stable and backwards compatible. Oh anybody willing to help will need to live with using that library. It's not that complicated and I'll probably use the occasion to write a small documentation for it.

The way of working I intend is that I enable people as co-author over at Curseforge. That'd be the main development site. I'm using SVN so team work shouldn't be no problem. For new features I could provide the German translations. Probably I'll have to look into the whole translation system of curse. Also I'd want to use the curseforge ticketing system for tracking new features and bugs.

One thing which is quite important for me is that the look & feel and use of the libaries stays as it is. Anyone running more than one nkAddon should experience the same user interface, same way things work and benefit from the same libraries being used. So new features which need to be implemented on library level would need to go through me.

So what help am I looking for:

nkThings

- Some documentation in form of PDF (English, incl. with addon)
    - Translation to French

nkAdvisor

- Co-Authors improving the existing modules or adding new ones

This is maybe a bit tricky as there's a lot of interfacing between the modules. There's some sort of API in nkAdvisor core which I'd need to document.

- nkAdvisor:Loot - Help in updating the loot tables
    - nkAdvisor:Search - Some better filtering
    - nkAdvisor:Level - Help in improving the loot tables, add more usefull information
    - nkAdvisor:Rating - Better interaction with in-game tooltips, more usefull rating options and integration with nkAdvisor:Loot and nkAdvisor:Search
    - nkAdvisor:Runes - Might be good as it is, don't know as it was more like a 'let's make this thing happen' work on one weekend.

- I had a map module planned like Atlas was originally. This didn't go beyond concept phase.

- Translation to French

nkRebuff

- Co-Authors maintaining the addon and adding new features
    - Some documentation in form of PDF (English, incl. with addon, basic version is done)
    - Translation to French (texts of the original translation of Ceres still there)

nkWardrobe

There were some bug reports which I didn't have time to hunt down.

- Co-Author taking over the main lead in terms of maintenance and improvement
    - Translation to French

nkZoo

This one needs some serious work as the UI is horrible

- Co-Author re-doing the user interface, taking over the main lead in terms of maintenance and improvement
    - Translation to French
    - Translation to Russian

nkRCooldown

I stopped working on this addon for some time. If someone really wants to use this it could use some maintenance. It's even using the old nkGFX lib which I initially built.

- Co-Author taking over this addon
    - Translation to French & Russian (well probably only usefull after the addon has gotten some new live to it)

nkDebug

Better tools to help addon authors is always a good thing. Whoever feels like he can improve and add to nkDebug will get co-author rights as fast as possible.

Let me know if you're interested and we'll work it out.

Cheers
    N.
    Last edited by Naifu; 05-08-2012 at 04:48 AM.

I am a software developer that recently started working on Rift Addon development. I might be interested in helping out! I have a few comments:

(1) I see a great opportunity here to get developers together in a place other than the official forums here, to help each other out and create addons. I think this could be the next step Rift Addon development and I could see us (as a collective group) helping to really push Trion's addon system. Maybe this is more serious that you were thinking, but I like the idea of actually organizing human resources so as to pool everyone's expertise together and minimize addons that are just repeats.

(2) I would be interested in helping, if you would look at my first addon, and maybe comment on it, etc?

(3) Is there a place that you commonly hang out on the Internet?? I am on irc.freenode.net/#riftuidev quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of chat there. I would love to have a place where we can chat real time, whether it is IRC or VOIP, I don't care. I just want support.

What do you think!?

-Ingshtrom

Quote Originally Posted by avidgamer123 View Post
    (3) Is there a place that you commonly hang out on the Internet?? I am on irc.freenode.net/#riftuidev quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of chat there. I would love to have a place where we can chat real time, whether it is IRC or VOIP, I don't care. I just want support.

What do you think!?

-Ingshtrom
    haven't been on #riftui for some time, maybe we just need to encourage people should start logging in more frequently and getting involved in discussions.

Naifu, you've delivered some awesome addons, good luck getting some help. I don't have the time myself (my own addons are months behind needing some bigfixes) but hopefully you'll find others like avid here who will help out.
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 05-08-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I tend to hang out in #riftuidev, but I'm pretty overloaded right now with my own projects.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Anything more on this N? I am interested in working with you, but I haven't heard anything!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by avidgamer123 View Post
    Anything more on this N? I am interested in working with you, but I haven't heard anything!
    You got PM

Cheers
    N.

Shadowlander

Hi Naifu, I've played around with some Rift development before, and work in software development, I'm still at an early stage of understanding lua but would be willing to help out with your collection of addons.

I had actually planned on making a random mount selector addon once the API was available for it, but took a break from Rift just before it was added. (SWtoR.. didn't last long).

Let me know how I can help!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Aluzja View Post
    Hi Naifu, I've played around with some Rift development before, and work in software development, I'm still at an early stage of understanding lua but would be willing to help out with your collection of addons.

I had actually planned on making a random mount selector addon once the API was available for it, but took a break from Rift just before it was added. (SWtoR.. didn't last long).

Let me know how I can help!
    Know what nkZoo does exactly that! If you like I can set you up as a co-author at curse and you could toy around with your ideas for the addon. Let me know if that'd be something of interest for you. The addon is in dire need for some updates. The UI is simply horribly done by me

Cheers
    N.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    Know what nkZoo does exactly that! If you like I can set you up as a co-author at curse and you could toy around with your ideas for the addon. Let me know if that'd be something of interest for you. The addon is in dire need for some updates. The UI is simply horribly done by me

Cheers
    N.
    Yeah when I came back to playing, I went to see if the API allowed for it, and BAM saw your nkZoo so didn't bother going any further with my idea.

I will gladly offer any support I can give to furthering that addon, hook me up!

Champion

Someone sent me a French translation for nkRCooldown ... but ... I accidently deleted the mail Could that person please resend the file?

Cheers
    N.

+ Reply to Thread