+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why not entice more addon mod builders to come to Rift?

Default Why not entice more addon mod builders to come to Rift?

What if you gave away a free month of game play to addon makers for each "unique and functional" addon they submit to Trion? In other words, set up a system where addon makers can submit addons to Trion, Trion can look them over and test them to make sure they are "unique" (you can't submit the same DPS meter in different shades over and over) and if the addon is deemed worthy the account is credited with a free month. That way you can entice more people to build addons, and with addons you can entice more people who just want to be able to modify their UI to come play as well.

Seems like a win win. (I know the amount of submissions could possibly become a lot, but I don't think that as of right now it would be too big of an issue.)
    Further steps lead to yet another broken bottle
    Again the words contain have bled the page
    Whose tears were these which ran the ink?
    From whom they bore to make this streak?
    -- The Dear Hunter

I don't think that would be too bad of an idea, except that it violates Trion's ToA for addons. Addon creation is supposed to be for fun, rather than monetary gains. I wouldn't mind getting a free month, or in game pet/mount/title, but I don't see Trion doing something like this.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Well, one thing we as authors can do is gloat about how nice the API is. Seriously, I've used several commercial development environments that were much less fun to work with.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by avidgamer123 View Post
    I don't think that would be too bad of an idea, except that it violates Trion's ToA for addons. Addon creation is supposed to be for fun, rather than monetary gains. I wouldn't mind getting a free month, or in game pet/mount/title, but I don't see Trion doing something like this.
    They could even just hold monthly addon contests where authors can submit their newly released addons and give 3/2/1 free months to the three most useful addons selected by Trion.

That way addon creation isn't rewarded directly, but it's still an incentive to get your really nice addon released (some full AH addon obviously having more chance of winning than just another random meter/buff bar/...)

+ Reply to Thread