+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DKP Addon - Would this be viable

Soulwalker

Default DKP Addon - Would this be viable

So I have no idea about the extend of the API and neither am I a programmer so I figure before I embark on a silly endeavour is it possible to create an addon that could be used to help with DKP.

Basically the addon can import the guild.xml from /guilddump, you will then (manually) be able to enter the total DKP of each member. You can create "session" in which you can select which members are added to, you then have the ability to add to all as well as add / subtract points from individual members. The totals are then updated and will be carried on across sessions.

Can someone please let me know if this is possible, and if so, would anyone be willing to create it?

I know the API is quite limited at the moment from what i've read but the functionality I have listed doesn't seem too far fetched?

There are already a couple of DKP/EPGP addons - do they not suit your needs?

Soulwalker

Could you please point in the right direction as the only thing that comes close that I can find it "Attend" which still isn't what I want.

Cheers
    Kali.

I want to get into the addon dev, and that really doesn't sound like a very hard addon. I will see what I can do within the next month. I do have end of college stuff coming up though, so don't expect anything next week. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisnoir View Post
    Basically the addon can import the guild.xml from /guilddump, you will then (manually) be able to enter the total DKP of each member. You can create "session" in which you can select which members are added to, you then have the ability to add to all as well as add / subtract points from individual members. The totals are then updated and will be carried on across sessions.
    I didn't clearly say it before, but from what I see in the addon API, I think this is completely possible. The only difference that I am thinking of, is just gathering the members of the raid from the current raid/party that the user is in. I haven't looked at the API to see if this is actually possible, but I would like to implement something more dynamic such as this because I know for the raids I go in that use DKP ( or something similar ), not everyone is from our guild. Any other major things you would like to see in an addon such as this? I am not really a raid leader, so I don't know what your exact needs are. I was thinking of some sort of way to "dump" the info externally, either to just /raid chat, or maybe eventually to a guild website ( that would be cool! ).

Soulwalker

Cheers for the reply.

Using DKP with PUGs is completely doable (and I still use it in my guild) however it works like this;

Everyone who needs the item rolls, if a PUG gets the item, then they simply get it, if a guild member wins then they may bid. DKP is still kept internally with the guild and as far as the pug is concerned its just another standard roll system.

By using your method of dumping the raid into it would be good provided that it would keep track of members points from raid to raid otherwise the system is flawed by having to enter totals every raid which the point of the addon is to eliminate a lot of the hassle associated with DKP in RIFT while still being within the boundaries of the API.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!
    Kali.

Right, I would definitely NOT reset the points that a user has. Eventually, I would like to add the functionality of having the user just specify the amount of DKP and the intervals in which it is awarded, and then automatically add it based on that. With that functionality, you would have to do next to nothing, other than the initial setup.

Apart from that, how would you prefer to have profiles separated? I know a lot of raiders have alts that they may bring on any given raid, and I don't want the DKP to be reset because of that. So I am guessing you would want the data to be account bound ( rather than character bound ), correct?

Somewhat along my previous point, I plan on implementing future functionality that allows you to keep track of DKP for multiple raids. I know many people run and ROS/GSB during the off-hours, and then also have an HK/ID run going for their main group. I know ROS/GSB doesn't really require DKP since it is farm-able now, but just a thought.

-Ingshtrom

P.S. Please keep in mind that I am just getting started with LUA. I am a software developer, but have never used Lua before, so I will be spending some time just learning how to create an addon. Also, some of these features, because of my lack of knowledge in Lua, will be withheld from the first version. I just want to throw out ideas while the project is fresh in our minds.

+ Reply to Thread