+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Couple of Questions

Default Couple of Questions

Directed at anyone who knows the answer, but I expect at least one will only be answerable by Zorba:

First: When adding information to the in game Storage there seems to be a minimum add of 64 bits no matter what. Is this intentional? I can work with that if it is, I just need to know.

Second: Is it possible to access an XML DB (such as the one created with /dumpguild) from an Addon? (For example could I /dumpguild, copy the XML to an addon folder, and then parse the tables from said addon?)

Both of these are pertinent to an Event Manager I'm currently working on(and hope to have an alpha rendition of soon!)

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

The 64-ish bit thing, yes, that's basically right -- it's more complicated but in practice that seems to be it.

XML: You could get an XML parsery thing. What you really ideally want is to create lua tables. Have a look at my DocExport addon for what this could look like -- I don't think we have such tools for *.Guild.*. Importing an entire XML parser seems expensive, I suggest it'd be easier to have an external utility which parses HTML and writes lua tables.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I'm trying to keep this as self contained as possible. Ideally the addon will know who is in the guild(makes it easier on the storage if I can populate a lua table with a Person = Value thing automatically). For now though I suppose I could just let the information sit "plain" text in the storage.

It'll make some parts of this heavier than others, but if we ever get the ability to sniff the uid of each guild member I can always re-write down the road.
    Last edited by LatsyrcMoy; 04-27-2012 at 03:03 PM.

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by LatsyrcMoy View Post
    Ideally the addon will know who is in the guild
    The real solution here is for us to introduce a Guild API. It's on the list, but no guarantees as to when it'll show up - there's a lot of things on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    The real solution here is for us to introduce a Guild API. It's on the list, but no guarantees as to when it'll show up - there's a lot of things on the list.
    Awesome, and good to know!

I'll keep my eyes peeled, for now I guess I'll just have people type in their names

+ Reply to Thread