+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Command.Message.Broadcast in guild channel

Soulwalker

Default Command.Message.Broadcast in guild channel

I'm writing an addon that does nothing more then try to say "hello" in the guild channel in one of the hundreds of greetings I have in an array. Is it possible to output a message to the /g channel?

Command.Message.Broadcast("guild", nil, "WorldGreetings", sentGreeting);

The above line of code is what I'm using, and nothing seems to appear in /g chat when that code is run, and below is pretty much the whole addon minus the function call to get the random greeting.

local function broadCastGreeting()
    sentGreeting = getGreeting();
    Command.Message.Broadcast("guild", nil, "WorldGreetings", sentGreeting);
    print ("Accepted="..tostring(Inspect.Message.Accept.Chec k("guild", "WorldGreetings")));
    print (sentGreeting.." sent to /guild channel");
    end

Command.Message.Accept("guild", "WorldGreetings");

-- Set up a slash command to run a function
    table.insert (Command.Slash.Register("wgl"), {broadCastGreeting, "WorldGreetings", "wgl"})

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

No. Command.Message.* is addon-only messages. Other guildies can receive the messages if they run an addon that requests them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    No. Command.Message.* is addon-only messages. Other guildies can receive the messages if they run an addon that requests them.
    I don't understand why addon-only message API has "type" parameter with values "tell", "channel", "guild", "officer", "party", "raid", "say", "yell", "send".
    Last edited by Kreiri; 04-26-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    I don't understand why addon-only message API has "type" parameter with values "tell", "channel", "guild", "officer", "party", "raid", "say", "yell", "send".
    With the type parameter in broadcasts you determine who receives the message. So a broadcast with type "guild" is received only by your guild members. "yell" goes to anyone in yell range, "channel" broadcasts only to the members of a certain chat channel, "raid" only to your raid members, and so on. On the receiving end, messages are filtered by type meaning you can chose not to receive public messages, but only messages from guild members etc.

Because it uses the same mechanisms as those to determine who gets the messages. So for instance, "/say" is nearby people, "/yell" is a broader range, "/guild" is anyone in your guild no matter where they are. The only weird one is "send", which is like a tell but cross-faction and can't reach as many people as /tell can (because you have to be connected to the player in some way; group, guild, raid, nearby, in the unit table, or they've sent you a message or tell this session).

So basically, it has them because it was cheap to add them because the mechanisms were already there, and because maybe they'll be useful. The guild/party/raid broadcasts are obviously useful for some classes of addons, and the /say and /yell broadcasts are probably useful for some types of social addons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

While seebs is right, I'll give a slightly different answer: because "send", "guild", "officer", and "raid/party" were required for basic functionality, and while I was in there, it seemed silly to not do a comprehensive job. I'll admit I'm not entirely sure what people would use "tell" or "party" or "say" for, but, hey, my job is to provide the tools, not find a way to use 'em all.

Now that I'm thinking about it, "group" would probably be a good thing to add as well.

What is the difference between "group" and "party"? And is broadcast/tell really just like send, only same-alliance-only and not reliable?

Actually, I can think of purposes for which people would want the same-alliance-only part.

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

What is the difference between "group" and "party"?
    "group" would be "everyone in whatever group you're associated with". So, if you're in a raid, it goes to everyone in the raid. If you're not, it goes to everyone in the party.

And is broadcast/tell really just like send, only same-alliance-only and not reliable?
    I don't think it's alliance-restricted. It shouldn't be. The only difference is that it isn't reliable.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies. This is my first stab at an add-on for Rift, so for now I'm just having it pop up a window with the greeting in a text box so the user can cut/paste it into whatever channel they want.

I probably should post this in a separate post, but how is the text encoding handled by the game? Extended ascii and unicode characters don't seem to work when I try to print them, I get the dreaded '?' character for anything outside of normal ascii chars.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    "group" would be "everyone in whatever group you're associated with". So, if you're in a raid, it goes to everyone in the raid. If you're not, it goes to everyone in the party.

I don't think it's alliance-restricted. It shouldn't be. The only difference is that it isn't reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnusto View Post
    I probably should post this in a separate post, but how is the text encoding handled by the game? Extended ascii and unicode characters don't seem to work when I try to print them, I get the dreaded '?' character for anything outside of normal ascii chars.
    The Lua files need to be encoded in UTF-8, but the game just can't display all of them. For example, when trying to display cyrillic characters I get a flood of squares, ut on Russian clients it displays correctly, so I guess it's a limitation of the used fonts.

Alternatively you could put escape codes in Lua strings for the UTF-8 codepoints and keep the files in ASCII encoding.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    The Lua files need to be encoded in UTF-8, but the game just can't display all of them. For example, when trying to display cyrillic characters I get a flood of squares, ut on Russian clients it displays correctly, so I guess it's a limitation of the used fonts.

Alternatively you could put escape codes in Lua strings for the UTF-8 codepoints and keep the files in ASCII encoding.
    When I type Ukrainian in Rift (say, in macro editor), I get ??????, but when I copy this typed text from Rift and paste it anywhere else I get normal Ukrainian text. So it seems that only the glyphs are missing?
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

+ Reply to Thread