+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning curve from Php to Lua?

Default Learning curve from Php to Lua?

Just curious here what the learning curve between Php and Lua is like?

I'm working on an event Calendar that accepts input from multiple parties already for a Php site I am working on and got to thinking that this would be an excellent addition to Rift.

Currently I use a mysql DB for holding the information, is there an analogue in Rift(I know we have guild storage but am not sure what type of information can be put there)?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

No database at the moment, we just have Lua tables (which are pretty good). If we do get one, I betcha it'll be sqlite. Guild storage is TINY -- I think 8KB right now -- so you'll have to store fairly small hunks there, although you can use zlib for it.

Honestly, for me, Lua has always been a much happier language than PHP. But then, I hate PHP. A lot.

From my point of view:

Lua : PHP :: delicious pizza : road pizza
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I'll have to look into the tables then...and yeesh 8KB isn't a lot of space, but I suppose if things were assigned a pseudo serialized value and that translated to something in the lua....

So I guess a good question then would be what sort of events to key in, and whether or not to allow custom events...Raids are a given, Experts, rift stuffs, pvp, RP stuffs...thanks for that info it's really got my gears turning.

I'll have to read over the current context for the rift lua some time soon I suppose
    Last edited by LatsyrcMoy; 04-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

One strategy would be to use a very-compressed serialized thing. A note: You can cheat with zlib, and build a dictionary table in advance which is then used to compress your actual data.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    One strategy would be to use a very-compressed serialized thing. A note: You can cheat with zlib, and build a dictionary table in advance which is then used to compress your actual data.
    That's actually what I'm thinking already. Assign each thing a binary serial, since it's easier to compress binary data(I'm thinking 8 bits should cover pretty much every type of event, convert times directly from 24h format to binary (24 bits should cover times and dates), the only hard part is going to be tracking signups since I'll need to track each player and a flag somehow (still haven't wet my noodle with the lua so not sure how to accomplish that yet but there is a community rep addon out there somewhere that I think would have a nice groundwork for this).

In total, uncompressed I'm looking at probably 32 bits of "Static" information, and another 150-300 of dynamic stuff per event(Not counting in zlib stuffs).

I'll probably have to find a good cleanup method too.
    Good thing tomorrow is my day off
    Last edited by LatsyrcMoy; 04-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread