+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update-your-addon reminders: Would people hate this?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Update-your-addon reminders: Would people hate this?

It occurs to me: I could add a feature to Merisioux where, starting with a given version, any time it saw messages from a newer version, it could ping back with a request for information about updates, and then on login show something like:

Merisioux: Version 0.12 available (you have 0.8). Minor bug fixes and improvements are available.

or

Merisioux: Version 0.13 available (you have 0.11). PLEASE UPDATE, SECURITY FIX.

Would people hate this? Would it be too spammy?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

This would be good, in my opinion. FlagRSP did a similar thing. You should probably add a toggle option to disable it though. Eg a checkbox on the popup saying "Don't tell me again", and another on the main window to re-enable update notifications.
    Last edited by Feine; 04-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

I'm adding it as an option to KBM.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    This would be good, in my opinion. FlagRSP did a similar thing. You should probably add a toggle option to disable it though. Eg a checkbox on the popup saying "Don't tell me again", and another on the main window to re-enable update notifications.
    I was thinking, not a pop-up, just a message in chat window the first time a new version is seen, and on /reloadui.

Sorta half tempted to make an "addon version update notification system", except the basic question of when an addon talks to other instances is... pretty vague.

... oh, geeze.

My debugging code is still in there, so right now, there is no throttle or anything. It'd just announce it EVERY TIME it sees that. Whoops.

Well. I guess that means my idea of "I'll just bump the data version for this" would be pretty bad. Will add a new component.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I was thinking, not a pop-up, just a message in chat window the first time a new version is seen, and on /reloadui.

Sorta half tempted to make an "addon version update notification system", except the basic question of when an addon talks to other instances is... pretty vague.

... oh, geeze.

My debugging code is still in there, so right now, there is no throttle or anything. It'd just announce it EVERY TIME it sees that. Whoops.

Well. I guess that means my idea of "I'll just bump the data version for this" would be pretty bad. Will add a new component.
    For me it's quite simple. It's when someone joins the party/raid it will broadcast to party/raid it's version number and any new version will reply. Likewise, any version which is older than the broadcast will be notified.

Just not sure I like that using raid and party channel is non-secure, and I'm not sure the overhead of a secure message to each party member will throttle. But, since it's not "important" I guess a broadcast works.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Yeah. For my addon, it's pretty trivial to add the version-bump to something in the data that are being moved around anyway.

I would only hate it if it could never be turned off. I do see the value of such a mechanism, as not every end user is diligent about updating addons. However, not every type of addon truly gains best case benefit. Addons that do not depend on other people in the group, guild, etc have no use for upgrade notification, IMO.

Addons that would be useful gaining this are the kind that latest version matters, like boss mods. In KBM's case, personally I would not include notification in the plugins, unless Semele needs to break something internally, and knows it ahead of time. KBM itself is fair game, however.

On a side note, just something that irritates me to no end, is addons that spam chat on player login that they are loaded. Of course they are loaded; I installed them!! Since Zorba is trying his best not to follow in Blizzard's footsteps and expressly break hundreds of addons every patch or hotfix, can we please dump this obnoxious behaviour, or at least have options in each and every addon to turn this crap off? Perhaps have it print to chat once, letting the end user know what the slash command and some options are, then change a saved variable flag and don't print to chat again. Forget the slash command? Not a problem -- go read the project page on Curse or RiftUI.

If a slash command for AddonX doesn't work because Rift didn't load it, then I'll worry about why and see if there is an update, or ask on the forums or project page. Same with the rather obvious errors if there is breakage. That is plenty enough alerting that AddonX failed.

Why is this bothering me so much? Because I have about a dozen addons installed. Wait until the API matures and I have several dozen addons. Then I will come back here, probably not alone, screaming bloody murder.

Right now, I figure one notification on login that I've seen a new version of an addon which is entirely about communication with other copies of the addon is safe. (Well, two, because the library checks separately from the addon holding it, because the library can be used with other addons.)

I may at some point add settings for this. Probably after I write LibPreferences, which will in turn be shortly after the RiftPopupMenu frame type is added. *puppy eyes*

I would never, EVER, have a library post a notification. There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever that a library would require version checking and printing to chat.

If an author breaks LibAwesome, then you have LibAwesome and LibAwesome2, neither of which are compatible with each other. AddonOne uses LibAwesome, AddonTwo uses LibAwesome2. Should LibAwesome gain some non-breaking fixes, it is still LibAwesome, regardless.

I will put my hand through my monitor and give any author that performs that kind of stupidity a virtual slap in the face.

+ Reply to Thread