+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [ADDON] RiftReputation - a community "reputation meter"

Default [ADDON] RiftReputation - a community "reputation meter"

Hello everyone!

RiftReputation is finally here with the coming of 1.8 API addtions, it's up on Curse.com right now in its beta version. It may still have a few kinks but for the most part it should be fully functional.

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/rift-reputation

I'll explain how Rift Reputation works:

Step 1) you encounter a player that is a jerk, maybe they ninja'd an item in a raid you were in with them or maybe they're an AWESOME team player. Either way you want other players to know what you think about this person.

Step 2) you rate them UP, NEUTRAL, or DOWN, down being reserved for the worst offenders that you would not want to group with again, up is for is people that go out of there way to be good/nice/skilled players who you would definitely like to group with again. NEUTRAL is for everyone else.

Step 3) Rift Reputation will silently broadcast your votes of players in the background to other people nearby (within /yell distance) who also have this addon. Your scores will get weighted by the person you are broadcasting to based on your voting history and your reputation that you have with the receiver.

"Why should I want this addon, what is it's purpose?"

Step 4) At a later date you want to start a PUG group (or are joining an unknown pug group), before sending out invites if there are any players that you don't know you can look up their reputation and make a judgment on if you want this person in your group or not to hopefully prevent that dreaded "nightmare pug" we all know so well.

Overview:

Current Features:
    • Voting other players UP, DOWN, or NEUTRAL (not yourself) through a simple UI interface. (only shown when targeting a valid player)
    • Broadcasting your votes to others around you (not all votes you have, just votes that you've made).
    • Right-click Drag-able UI elements that show your target's reputation and allow you to search through people's reputations. UI elements can be shown or hidden at will.
    • Any votes that you receive or make will be weighted carefully, not all votes are equal (see notes below on weighting system).
    • Vote weight changes in retrospect, so every player will have a customized reputations of other people, based on who they are near often.
    • You are only allowed to vote for players that you are targeting to prevent fake entries.
    • You are only allowed to vote for lvl 50 players, and only if you are level 50 to prevent people from making alts just for spam voting.
    • You are only allowed to vote for players on your shard, and of your same faction.
    • Reputations and votes will not be shared between alts and mains this is a limitation of the current API system. Alts will not broadcast the same votes as your main does.
    • You can search through any reputations you have with a simple UI interface or with a slash command.
    • The ability to reset and erase all of the votes you have received from other people in case you believe someone has skewed the votes.
    • Whitelist - you can choose to only receive votes from certain people. This however will severely diminish the usefulness/purpose of the addon.
    • Blacklist - you can choose to ignore votes from certain people. Use this if you don't trust someone enough to want -any- of their votes or if you think someone has cheated the system.
    • The addon does not receive or broadcast votes while you are in-combat. This is to prevent lag for people on lower-end systems.

A few notes on the vote weighting system:
    1. When you vote for someone and then send that vote out to other people the receiver of your votes decides how much they think your vote is worth based on 2 factors; this is to prevent exploitation by manipulating the LUA code of my addon:
      1. How many similar votes the sender has sent out in the past.
      2. The receivers opinion of the sender (your reputation)
    2. The more UP votes you send out, the less your UP vote is worth, same with DOWN votes.
    3. NEUTRAL votes will always have a standard fixed weight.
    4. UP and DOWN votes will have a "maximum" weight that they cannot go beyond to prevent one person from swinging the vote too much. The reason that up/down votes don't have a minimum is so that if people that send too many up/down votes, their up or down vote will be worth nothing. This is to prevent vote spam so if you want your up/down votes to have any power ONLY GIVE UP OR DOWN WHEN THEY DESERVE IT.
    5. Neither the voter or receiver gets to see how much a vote was worth .
    6. No one can see what anyones total scores are or the total votes from each category (up/down/neutral), you're only allowed to see a weighted average "trustworthiness" score and the total number of people who have voted for someone. This makes it easy to get a feel for someones reputation without giving away too much information on the exact numbers.

Examples of scaling voting power:
    • 1 is the baseline weight for any vote, if your up/down voting weight is at 1 its going to be quite effective.
    • Neutral votes are always weighted at 1 so feel free to give this out freely.
    • The MOST weight any vote can have is 3 which means that 3 "average" voters can cancel out a max weight voter.
    • To reach a weight of 3 with an UP or DOWN you'll need nearly 40 times as many votes of any other type if your reputation is neutral.
    • If, on average, you vote no more than 3 out of 20 people DOWN (in a typical raid) your DOWN voting weight will stay around 1.
    • If, on average, you vote no more than 6 or 7 out of 20 people UP (in a typical raid) your UP rating will stay around 1
    • Don't worry about sticking to the "recommended" numbers of UP or DOWN votes too much, if you exceed the "recommended" amount of votes one raid but didn't use all of them another it would average out so don't worry about it. Just know that if you ALWAYS vote UP or ALWAYS vote DOWN your UP/DOWN votes will be worth less than a typical user.
    • I balanced this so that a brand new alt made for trolling peoples reputation would have a lot of trouble getting there voting power increased but a normal player won't be punished or rewarded TOO much for deviating from normal amounts of up/down votes.
    • Your reputation factors into it also, the higher your reputation is (according to the person who is receiving your votes) the more power your vote has to them (it doesn't scale linearly though)

I decided to give the power of weighing votes to the receiver of votes so for two reasons:
    1. It helps prevent people from exploiting since they cannot change the way a receiver weighs votes.
    2. It makes it easier to update this addon to change the weight scaling if necessary in the future.

Example of the addon in use:
    You send your votes to someone who is brand new to the game. They probably don't have any ratings for you or anyone else so if you send your votes out to them then your votes worth won't be worth more than if you were new also. They weigh your votes accordingly. If, at a later time, that person meets other people and from those people's votes "realizes" that you have a higher reputation then your votes worth will increase (by your rating increasing) and all the votes you gave them when you first met them will be updated to weigh more in retrospect. (always capped at 3x)

Conclusion

After all is said and done, I want this addon to represent a network of trust, so when you want to group with players you've never met before, you can trust that they aren't going to ninja and walk away with your items! I've done my best to try and ensure that players won't be able to muck up the votes too much but if anyone has any ideas to help make it a more fair and balanced system I'd love to hear them.

I probably missed a few things, if I notice any features missing or add any new features i'll update this post later. My biggest concern right now is CPU usage, In my tests with 2 people using it in the middle of meridian the CPU usage was below 1%, and I did my best to keep it as low as possible but I have no idea if it will go crazy if lots of people using it are in the same area.

Disclaimer!
    As a final note i want everyone to keep in mind that exploitations of the system will always be possible with the current API limitations but I have done my best to make sure that its not worth it to exploit. Both by making it as hard as I possibly can and by limiting the influence any one voter can have on the reputation of another. Just to be safe though, take any reputations given by my addon with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 04-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Ascendant

Sweet, LFM for HK, Link Rep and Gearscore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Sweet, LFM for HK, Link Rep and Gearscore.
    hmm i'll give it a 1/10, you should really read the post and put more thought into it before trolling

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    hmm i'll give it a 1/10, you should really read the post and put more thought into it before trolling
    I would take your advice, but you have no rep in my add on, so I will instead exclude you from having any form of opinion.

I would take your advice, but you have no rep in my add on, so I will instead exclude you from having any form of opinion.
    don't be mad just because you'll be held accountable for your actions/attitudes by other players

Ascendant

don't be mad just because you'll be held accountable for your actions/attitudes by other players
    You mean the actions of a guild because they don't like the colour of your hat or wherever other reason a few people who target you want to do to destroy your ability to group in the future.

You mean the actions of a guild because they don't like the colour of your hat or wherever other reason a few people who target you want to do to destroy your ability to group in the future.
    if a guild downvotes every person that has a hat of a color they don't like then their downvotes will be worth nothing and your reputation will be unaffected

Ascendant

if a guild downvotes every person that has a hat of a color they don't like then their downvotes will be worth nothing and your reputation will be unaffected
    Sure, it could work that way in a utopian society where everyone votes based on true merit. That will never ever happen. It will be more like "<Dude's name> is standing in sanctum use the defiant firework, go down vote him" and now you have 40 down votes.

Could be as simple as saying something in chat like "Yeah, I heal as warden and I agree with the warden PVP nerfs cause my heals were crazy". . . instant 100+ down votes (assuming anyone actually bothers to install this monstrosity).

RIFT Community Ambassador

what if i wanted to "hypothetically" down vote all ID geared mages because popular opinion says they look like a certain racist faction which im opposed to just because of the hat.

just saying is all. im not goin to use the addon immediately anyway. i want to observe how it pans out in a live environment.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Sure, it could work that way in a utopian society where everyone votes based on true merit. That will never ever happen. It will be more like "<Dude's name> is standing in sanctum use the defiant firework, go down vote him" and now you have 40 down votes.

Could be as simple as saying something in chat like "Yeah, I heal as warden and I agree with the warden PVP nerfs cause my heals were crazy". . . instant 100+ down votes (assuming anyone actually bothers to install this monstrosity).
    no, you don't understand, people who throw their down votes (or up votes) around carelessly are essentially filtered out of the system by the people they are broadcasting their votes to (who will see that they have voted ton's of people down). Their votes will be worth -nothing-

1. The more UP votes you send out, the less your UP vote is worth, same with DOWN votes.
    2. UP and DOWN votes will have a "maximum" weight that they cannot go beyond to prevent one person from swinging the vote too much. The reason that up/down votes don't have a minimum is so that if people that send too many up/down votes, their up or down vote will be worth nothing. This is to prevent vote spam.
    the weight of a vote diminishes faster the more of a certain type of vote you use (in relation to other types of votes)
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 04-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Ascendant

no, you don't understand, people who throw their down votes (or up votes) around carelessly are essentially filtered out of the system by the people they are broadcasting their votes to (who will see that they have voted ton's of people down). Their votes will be worth -nothing-
    Unless of course in their day to day they throw out default neutral votes and and vote their guildies and their friends up.

Unless of course in their day to day they throw out default neutral votes and and vote their guildies and their friends up.
    thats how the system is supposed to work... if they are voting people neutral and up then they are actively participating in the system. everyone is entitled to an opinion and believe me, they form them whether or not there is an addon to show it.

Ascendant

thats how the system is supposed to work... if they are voting people neutral and up then they are actively participating in the system. everyone is entitled to an opinion and believe me, they form them whether or not there is an addon to show it.
    Except that a group of a few people can essentially destroy the game for someone else if lots of people started using this type of system. That's the problem, you simply can't trust people to use tools like this responsibly.

Except that a group of a few people can essentially destroy the game for someone else if lots of people started using this type of system. That's the problem, you simply can't trust people to use tools like this responsibly.
    this already happens all the time, i know several people who were run off keenblade because so many people didn't like them. even if this addon becomes popular it will have no effect on that situation.

yes, if some people wanted ONLY one person to have a bad reputation in my addon then they could have an impact. BUT if they are doing it to one person then they probably will do it again, and again and their down voting power will degrade quickly and will retroactively apply to people they have voted for in the past. if they hated someone that much then there are more effective ways to harm their reputation than through an addon.

and if the "victim" was actually active in the community then they would also be receiving up and neutral votes that would counteract a few stray down votes from trolls, because even the most heavily weighted up or down votes can be countered with 3 "average" voters

interesting. Not sure how I feel about this, seems useful, but yeah, potential to aggravate a bullying situation. in my experience, dbags travel in groups (or guilds lol). Just because your in a HUGE guild of aholes who up voted each other and down-voted the competition, doesnt mean your any good. Another point, usually the folks Id like to down vote are trolling in channels all day, not necessarily targeted. Any way to import our ignore list as down votes?

Over all, very cool idea, sounds like it was cleverly built, but you poor guy! your pugs were SO bad you had to make an addon for it lol. I seem to have had better luck, but when I do have a stinker, often theyre gone by the time Id wanna down vote em (ex. pug raid, guy rands and drops, or gets his thing and drops half way through. straight to ignore, but hes gone, so no chance to down vote)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast