+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Impact of teleporting on events

Telaran

Default Impact of teleporting on events

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had observed odd effects when teleporting.

The main thing is that some events are dropped. I first noticed it when teleporting when in an Instant Adventure, some people had a debuff on them, but the remove event never fired.

Speaking to Zorba briefly yesterday, it seems that we should see event.unit.unavailable on teleporting, and then event.unit.available messages when the zoning complete. IE if the game sends an available, we should view that as an indication to reload the unit's state. So that should fix the buff events going missing.

However, I think I've now seen the same kind of issue with unit change events. IE I was in raid of 8 people, I then teleported into the instance, a couple more players were added, but those 2 players weren't added to my frames. I'm not sure why, I need to try and repro this case, to confirm what actually happens, but it gets tricky as it needs 3 players and a specific sequence.

Having thought about it, and the comments about unavailable/available needing to be tracked more closely, I'm wondering if Event.Unit.Remove and Add aren't fired while teleporting.

This would mean libunitchange wouldn't then fire for the tracked specifier. If it is an issue, does this mean libunitchange needs to monitor event.unit.available/unavailable for unit changes while teleporting? One solution might simply be to have a hook so if the player unitId goes unavailable/available libunitchange rescans... But I need to look at the event sequence more closely.

Has anyone else has seen issues like this when teleporting?

Thanks,
    Mere

Quote Originally Posted by Mere View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had observed odd effects when teleporting.

The main thing is that some events are dropped. I first noticed it when teleporting when in an Instant Adventure, some people had a debuff on them, but the remove event never fired.

Speaking to Zorba briefly yesterday, it seems that we should see event.unit.unavailable on teleporting, and then event.unit.available messages when the zoning complete. IE if the game sends an available, we should view that as an indication to reload the unit's state. So that should fix the buff events going missing.

However, I think I've now seen the same kind of issue with unit change events. IE I was in raid of 8 people, I then teleported into the instance, a couple more players were added, but those 2 players weren't added to my frames. I'm not sure why, I need to try and repro this case, to confirm what actually happens, but it gets tricky as it needs 3 players and a specific sequence.

Having thought about it, and the comments about unavailable/available needing to be tracked more closely, I'm wondering if Event.Unit.Remove and Add aren't fired while teleporting.

This would mean libunitchange wouldn't then fire for the tracked specifier. If it is an issue, does this mean libunitchange needs to monitor event.unit.available/unavailable for unit changes while teleporting? One solution might simply be to have a hook so if the player unitId goes unavailable/available libunitchange rescans... But I need to look at the event sequence more closely.

Has anyone else has seen issues like this when teleporting?

Thanks,
    Mere
    What I do is reload the entire Party, I can possibly add this functionality to SRM. So, that after a Player becomes unavailable/available it either reloads the entire Raid/Party if it's .player or re-fire a unit for any other Group member.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    Hmm, yeah. That doesn't look right at all. Looks like an underlying problem with the event system. Would rather that was working consistently instead of some strange work-around. A case of do it right or not at all.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Semele View Post
    Hmm, yeah. That doesn't look right at all. Looks like an underlying problem with the event system. Would rather that was working consistently instead of some strange work-around. A case of do it right or not at all.
    Zorba did say that we should see an unavailble and then available for the players, but I've got little time till the weekend to dig into this in more depth, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems, which it appears is the case

Basically the unavailable indicates we might not get things right for those players, and available should indicate we "reset" what we know about that unit, and should then get events again.

If SRM worked around it that would simplify things for me But I actually suspect it should be fixed in libunitchange so everyone gets the benefit.

+ Reply to Thread