+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tooltip Extension

Plane Touched

Default Tooltip Extension

Hi all,

I was planning to add an extension to the native item tooltips to show auction info (market price, auction volume) in my addon.

However, I guess I'm not the only one who has done that or will want to do the same in the future, and it might become a problem when the player has several addons that anchor their extended tooltips to the native frame (frames overlapping for example).

Do you know if there is any library to handle this?

I'd prefer a lightweight approach, that is, if for example LibTea provides this functionality, I wouldn't want to have to install the full library, only the tooltip part.

If there isn't anything to solve this, and nobody is planning to write it, I might try to do it myself. What features do you think would be useful to have?

Champion

Hoocking the native tooltip isn't quite ready for use at least on live. Most of the time you don't get any correct event info especially if comperative tooltip comes into play. In some occassions the events don't run at all. I basically gave up on it for the moment and will check again once 1.8 hits live servers.

Apart from this a common library for tooltips to make sure there are no conflicts between addons would be something I'd support.

Cheeers
    N.

Native API for adding info to tooltip would be even better. Something like Tooltip.AddLine(text, alignment, color), Tooltip.AddDoubleLine(lefttext, leftColor, rightText, rightColor), etc.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    Native API for adding info to tooltip would be even better. Something like Tooltip.AddLine(text, alignment, color), Tooltip.AddDoubleLine(lefttext, leftColor, rightText, rightColor), etc.
    Zorba stated already that this is probably never gona happen.
    Besides, I was thinking about a tooltip stuff library myself earlier, but then Zorba overwhelmed us with *.Storage.* and *.Message.* and I was like "Holy crap, that other stuff can wait!".

Telaran

I'm afraid I don't have much technical experience with Rift's API, but check out StarTip-Rift (available on Curse and RiftUI) for one of the more comprehensive tooltip additions; that may help. In addition, Seebs has created the Merisioux roleplay tooltip addon recently (think FlagRSP type from WoW), which modifies the tooltip; if nothing else it would be great if you could ensure that there's no conflict between a player who wants to see both your tooltip info for auctions and use Meri for RP displayed as well etc..

In WoW, it was popular for economic tooltips to actually generate a second "attached" tooltip frame graphic (Auctioneer Suite for instance) below the original one that includes all the financial data, which makes it more clear. Not sure if that can be done in Rift, but it would be a nice feature that all the economic/financial related addons could use if there was a library or something to make it easy?

Plane Touched

As far as I know, StarTip-Rift has a different scope that what I'm looking for. That addon tries to reproduce the native tooltip, featuring customizable skins, while what I want is a way to attach additional frames below the native tooltip to display extra info.

I started planning a library to handle tooltip extensions so they don't clash, but Naifu pointed the events involved are a little messy, so I'm waiting 1.8 is out to continue research.

As of Seebs's Merisioux tooltip extensions, I don't think they might clash with auction tooltip extensions as I think they are attached to unit tooltips while mine would be attached to item tooltips. However, once we have a community approved solution to this problem, I guess both Seebs and me will switch to use it instead of our own solutions.

I'm more concerned about auction tooltip extensions clashing with addons such as Imhotar's bags, as we both work with items.

+ Reply to Thread