+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Range finding for spells on the PTS

Telaran

Default Range finding for spells on the PTS

Thought I'd just share something about the new co-ordinate system on the PTS.

If you take the x,y,z of two units, while that gives the distance between them, it's not necessarily the range for a spell cast.

It appears you need to allow for the radius of the two units to find the actual spell range. IE how fat are people

At 35.1m with purely the co-ords I can still cast a heal with 35m range. It's actually at the 36m mark that the games says I'm out of range. Even then I found there's small gap I found where even allowing for radius it looks like the target it out of range but the game would still casts, I suspect a rounding issue somewhere, but it's very much on the edge of range.

I'm not sure if this is the same for enemy targets, but certainly between players radius was a factor for casting.

Anyway, I thought I'd share what I found out, as it may impact how range between units needs to be interpreted.

I don't know how this effects AoE spells with a bounce of a particular range, I'd need to investigate further, but again I'd assume that it would include the unit radius.

Regards,
    Mere

For all the spells I tested on the PTS, it seems as though you take the distance between 2 units, and round down to the nearest integer. If this is <= the range of the spell, then it can be cast.

ie a 20m range, will actually be able to be cast on anything closer than 21m
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Telaran

Did you try on any units with a large hit box/circle?

As most players/humanoids models are ~.5m radius, so the 1m difference would fit.

Note that I could cast heals as slightly over 36m, and the radius is a little over 0.5.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread