+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: In-Game meteres are terribad

Rift Master

Default In-Game meteres are terribad

I'm finding all in-game meters are extremely bad and provide far from accurate data, some are better than others mind.

But they just seem far off from what an outside program comes up with when parsing the combatlog file.

Why is this, the way it's coded? Surely if it can read the data, the only thing that should provide inaccurate information is the log it's self, which therefore would effect all parsing tools.
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Looking back at RIFT is bittersweet. Ah damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxt View Post
    I'm finding all in-game meters are extremely bad and provide far from accurate data, some are better than others mind.

But they just seem far off from what an outside program comes up with when parsing the combatlog file.

Why is this, the way it's coded? Surely if it can read the data, the only thing that should provide inaccurate information is the log it's self, which therefore would effect all parsing tools.
    I'm finding your opinion extremely poor and provides far from accurate argumentation.

How about trying to write your own meter first, before you complain. Perhaps then you might understand the limitations we have to work with that can compromise our accuracy.

Of course, are you 100% confident that your in-game meter is "terribad", or perhaps the outside one is actually the inaccurate one?
    Last edited by Verea; 04-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    I'm finding your opinion extremely poor and provides far from accurate argumentation.

How about trying to write your own meter first, before you complain. Perhaps then you might understand the limitations we have to work with that can compromise our accuracy.

Of course, are you 100% confident that your in-game meter is "terribad", or perhaps the outside one is actually the inaccurate one?
    Lol, someone is butt hurt by my thread. "Write your own meter, damn you!!" - Yes, because thats the solution right? The reason why i don't write my own addons for rift is the exact limitations that are imposed.

Advance combat tracker is very well known for it's in depth, quite accurate tracking. They are also closely mirrored by riftjunkies parser, the old java parser made by logika of threesprings etc.

I never mentioned your riftmeter plugin (if you made one) but yes, every one i've tried has just been plain bad. There is no sugar coating it. The simplistic needs of a meter is accurate data, forget about the rest until the addon can accurately read the combat data.
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Lol, someone is butt hurt by my thread. "Write your own meter, damn you!!" - Yes, because thats the solution right? The reason why i don't write my own addons for rift is the exact limitations that are imposed.
    So don't complain about other addons that try to do create something even with the limitations that are in place
    I'm sure that those authors know that the addons aren't as accurate as they want
    If you think they are so terrible just don't use them, continue using the parser, and stop complaining about other people's work that you didn't pay for, they are just giving you their time for free, so at least appreciate that.

Lol, someone is butt hurt by my thread. "Write your own meter, damn you!!"
    Butthurt? Barely.

Also:
    The reason why i don't write my own addons for rift is the exact limitations that are imposed.
    Then why complain to addon developers that their meters aren't accurate enough because you know the API is limited.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Surely if it can read the data, the only thing that should provide inaccurate information is the log it's self, which therefore would effect all parsing tools.
    your assumption is incorrect, the combat log cannot be read via the in game API. The differences between the information the API exposes via combat events and the actual log may go some way to explaining the differences you are experiencing.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

Rift Master

Then stop making in game meters, they're not just inaccurate. They're outstandingly inaccurate and it's rather damn annoying.

I don't care who you are or what you've made, I honestly could give 2 craps about how limited you are. If the main function of your addon isn't possible "ACCURATE TRACKING" then don't do it.

I'm going to make a map to a treasure box, X marks the spot but it's 200 miles away from the actual location. But it's ok i'm only limited to where i can put the X.

PS. I also know the API is limited, to what extent I do not but I knew enough to not bother and realised I'd have more luck getting blood out of a stone than making decent, optimized addons. I've not tried many addons outside of metres, boss mods and buff tracking. Metres are inaccurate, boss mods were very good. KBM is now better than wires due to upgrades. Can't actually fault it since the author is constantly updating it. Buff tracking is a major lag (nk)
    Last edited by Nuxt; 04-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.

You make me laugh

Just don't use them and stop crying

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I'd rather have a mildly-inaccurate meter in game than an external parser. I am 100% confident that the in-game meter will not screw up my system.

If you would be so kind as to identify specific failures you think should be corrected, we could maybe go to Zorba and ask for API improvements that would make it practical to address them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

Then stop making in game meters, they're not just inaccurate. They're outstandingly inaccurate and it's rather damn annoying.
    Could you please provide some comparison? If possible including some description why the one meter is more accurate than the other?

To clarify why I ask: for me it is a bit like having two clocks, one showing 1 pm the other one 2 pm, but which one is showing the right and which one the wrong time? Hard to tell without a "guaranteed to be correct" clock to compare. Maybe even both show the wrong time, but I can hardly tell without knowing exactly what time it is. Same in Rift: if my only one ingame meter shows I am doing 1000 dps... how can I tell if it is wrong or right?

Rift Master

Zorba is too slow. I mean just like at the addon API changes in 1.8

The game has been out for a year and the API for the addon system is not even in baby stages, it's still infantry. I've submitted many feedbacks in-game regarding addons.

I'm not saying that the meter limitations are the authors fault, but i can't fathom why you'd work under such limiting condition (I don't know to which extent you're limited though).

You can bash and retaliate to my posts how you wish, you can say don't use them, make them yourself or stop crying! etc etc

Doesn't make an a sound bit of difference to me, people like Rompa just end up on my ignore list so i can filter their posts. I suggest you ignore me if thats all you have to say.

I really wanted the addon system to succeed but with this slow pace, it's going no where any time soon. QQ as much as you want, hate me for this thread all you want, It is what it is. I'm still waiting for the "It's better than WoWs addon system" post. To which I say, ****!

Telaran

That said you have two options: you can assist Zorba to get this done faster by pointing out the things that need to be fixed, or you can consider the API to be too inaccurate for your needs and avoid it in the future.

Everything else is pointless.

No one says bad things about our Evil Overlord!

but i can't fathom why you'd work under such limiting condition (I don't know to which extent you're limited though).
    Because we can?
    Maybe we like the challenge? Maybe we want to offer functionality that is at least partially usable and helpful? Maybe we know the API stuff we need will be added someday and we can prepare for it? There are people out there for who programming is a hobby, so why not hack something together? If others don't like the result they aren't forced to use it.

You can bash and retaliate to my posts how you wish, you can say don't use them, make them yourself or stop crying! etc etc

Doesn't make an a sound bit of difference to me, people like Rompa just end up on my ignore list so i can filter their posts. I suggest you ignore me if thats all you have to say.

I really wanted the addon system to succeed but with this slow pace, it's going no where any time soon. QQ as much as you want, hate me for this thread all you want, It is what it is. I'm still waiting for the "It's better than WoWs addon system" post. To which I say, ****!
    You come here giving us orders and complain about work others have put sweat into during their spare time without asking for any kind of payment. Some addons have lots of man-hours in them. It doesn't seem that you have actually taken the time to study the API documentation to find out what is possible and what not but still you take the right to judge our work.

Do the reactions really surprise you?

The game has been out for a year and the API for the addon system is not even in baby stages, it's still infantry. I've submitted many feedbacks in-game regarding addons.

I'm not saying that the meter limitations are the authors fault, but i can't fathom why you'd work under such limiting condition (I don't know to which extent you're limited though).

I'm pretty sure infantry if a stage of being a baby. Also I haven't seen your API so it's hard to compare. Yes the API is limited, but it's also optional.
    Even free cost too much now

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

lolwut?

This stuff is huge, and there are features here now which we spent years requesting from other MMOs and never got.

Have you actually written any addons? Because you really are not coming across as having much development experience here.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast