+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RP addon -- now almost usable!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default RP addon -- now almost usable!

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=222

Merisioux, the addon which is secretly having threesomes with Cyril and Asha but they have put aside their differences because it is the BEST ADDON EVER, is now getting sort of beta-grade. Feedback appreciated. Yes, I know there should be buttons on unit frames to show the UI, it... is difficult.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Okay, this is a bit more improved. The addon has been updated to 0.5, and I've also uploaded LibMerisioux separately in case people want to write their own RP addons. Hoping to avoid the thing where every RP addon has its own implementation with subtle incompatibilities.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

How about explaining first what even a "RP Addon" is? There is absolutly no info in description about the addon, neither what it does.
    Last edited by Anzulo; 04-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzulo View Post
    How about explaining first what even a "RP Addon" is? There is absolutly no info in description about the addon, neither what it does.
    An addon for RPers; specifically, one which allows you to indicate interest in RP, biography or description, and so on. The famous ones in WoW were stuff like flagRSP and ImmersionRP.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    An addon for RPers; specifically, one which allows you to indicate interest in RP, biography or description, and so on. The famous ones in WoW were stuff like flagRSP and ImmersionRP.
    Great! For those who do not read these forums, putting that information in the addon description on RiftUI & Curse would be an excellent idea. I saw the addon and did not even try it because of the lack of description. I will never install an addon if I have zero idea what it does. For all I know, "RP" could have meant "Recipe Production" and not "Roleplay."

But but but! I know what it means. Why should I have to explain it for people who are not Stupendously Awesome like me?

Telaran

Thank you for making a RP addon framework! I've long been considering porting the featureset of WoW's MyRolePlay (or better yet, TotalRP2! ) and working them into a Rift mod, but it seems you've already made great first strides, plus creating an addon communication framework!

I think GUI-based configuration expansion will be helpful to get as many players onboard as possible. Using slash commands is a great backup, but a little minimap-button they can click on to open their data editing options will help.

I'm not familiar with the differences between WoW's and RIFT's addon API, but one major issue in WoW was the compatibility between other Tooltip UI mods and RP mods. Many would not "play nice" together, so the additional tooltip mod features wouldn't allow the RP mod tooltip info to be shown etc... Right now the only major tooltip mod I'm aware of is StarTip-Rift, so it may be helpful to see if the two of them work nicely together, displaying the full range of RP info. StarTip does seem to offer other profiles however, so even if it doesn't work natively, perhaps with a custom profile it could include the data correctly? You may also be able to talk to the developer to see if they can help to code around any issues (such as basically allowing Meri to spawn its own info when needed in the tip structure etc...). There are also a few other "little" tooltip mods out there, but they have less incompatibilities.

As far as features and configuration goes, as I said before checking over the WoW mods MyRolePlay and TotalRP2 would be helpful for future planning - especially for the library for communication. For instance, TotalRP2 has a built in feature that allows you to create in-game items, including those that provide "RP buffs debuffs" on use, multiple-page books, and lots of other stuff (similar to, but superior compared to Gryphonheart Items in my experience), that can be traded/transferred to other players with the mod as well. The items, along with the understanding of effects employed, are transmitted via TRP2s communication channels, so maybe that i something down the road for Meri.

Finally, would it be possible to upload it to Curse as well? So many use Curse/curseforge due to the Client, which now supports Rift for install/sync/backup etc....

Thanks for everything so far...now its time to spread the word to Faeblight!

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    But but but! I know what it means. Why should I have to explain it for people who are not Stupendously Awesome like me?
    Are you saying that I am not Stupendously Awesome? HOW DARE YOU, SIR!

... Oh sorry, I just got handed something by the production staff, please stand by....

WHAT?? That is so not fair! According to this, I am merely Awesome, not Stupendously Awesome! I am calling my agent, dammit!!

Speaking of awesome, I managed to find a bug in RiftUI's file code or something such that the project disintegrated. New addon page for Merisioux. (As always, people are welcome to copy this around if they want.)

Grats Seebs on making the worlds first RP addon for Rift!
    Thank you, Seebs! I like what I'm seeing!

In future versions I'd love to see the tooltip feature with more customizability. In particular, I'd like to be able to detach it from the game tooltip for more flexibility with different UI layouts.

I think you should put a "Planned" and "In development" section on your addon page so people know what kinds of features to look forward to.

Huh, being able to separately anchor it wouldn't suck. I'll think about this a bit.

+ Reply to Thread