+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the_real_seebs

Thread: LibCron: Timers handled for you.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default LibCron: Timers handled for you.

Sick of writing an update hook that does nothing but check whether it's been a second since you ran your update hook yet?

Library.LibCron.recurring(interval, function, ...)
    Library.LibCron.create(interval, function, ...)

The .create call makes a one-shot.

Both return a tag which can be used to .delete(tag) or to .snooze(tag, seconds).

If you have an update hook that's just doing something every second or whatever, please consider using libcron instead to reduce the number of update hooks floating around.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

I might use this.

Any chance to get this released without the LibGetOpt stuff?

Does it work well with subsecond precision? What would happen if you set a recurring task with interval of 0 seconds?

ooh, 0 seconds would be bad, because the event would end up being called again. I should fix that. Easiest fix is just to use now + event.secs rather than event.stamp + event.secs. Then that won't be < now.

I suppose I could probably debundle this from its command line interface. It's just that that basically means splitting it into two addons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

math.max(now, event.stamp + event.secs) would take care of negative values too and lose less precision

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    math.max(now, event.stamp + event.secs) would take care of negative values too and lose less precision
    Hmm, true. 'k. Doing that.

Is there a particular problem caused by the embedded libgetopt, or is it just that it's Extra Baggage?

Plane Touched

Extra baggage as you say.

More than anything it's that I wouldn't want the player to be able to delete the task that easily. They could do it through /script though

Some ideas on minor features:

1) A way to prevent tasks from being deleted, so they can only be snoozed / paused.

2) A way to set the first execution time as an absolute timestamp instead of an offset of the current timestamp.

3) A snooze variant to pause/resume execution instead of just delaying it

4) Statistics on number of executions, total time used, average time used. This could be turned off if an addon can't afford the extra delay.

5) A GUI to see tasks, their statistics and pause/resume/delete them. Snooze could be included too, but I don't like textfields :P This would be a separate addon (LibCronManager?) so you can move there the LibGetOpt stuff and have LibCron as a standalone library. I know you don't like writing UIs, so I could write this if you want
    Last edited by Baanano; 04-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Not sure about a way to prevent tasks from being deleted. I would actually sorta like a way to make tasks persistent, except that this turns out to be Very Hard unless they're defined by code snippets.

Absolute time I could probably do -- heck, if I'm willing to assume no one will run the game for more than 20 years without a /reloadui, I can do it automatically by assuming that 9-digit time numbers are absolute times. :P

Pause/unpause makes sense.

Performance, you can already do by grabbing LibPerfORate and having it wrap your callback.

I think I may make the GetOpt thing an optional requirement, and simply only call it if GetOpt is around.

+ Reply to Thread