+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Factions and communication

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Factions and communication

Observation: It doesn't seem that Message.Send and Message.Broadcast are currently cross-faction. I can't tell whether Storage.* are because I can't get them to work across characters at all.

I suggest that these should be cross-faction, but that Storage.* should have a different access attribute for things you want to make public, and Message.Accept should probably have some way to restrict by faction.

Rationales:
    1. RP addons frequently expose description as such, and/or information about how warlike one is. Useful to know.
    2. Since /say is cross-faction, there will be a temptation to hijack that mechanism if the addon-only one doesn't work.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I could imagine another "read" access modifier to be added named "faction" for "guild" and "player" storage.

Thus the current "public" settings would be readable by everybody, and "faction" would behave the same way as "public" but only accessible by members of the same faction as the character/guild.
    Last edited by Imhothar; 03-29-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Given that we've only got stuff on PTS, the breakage problem would be small, BUT!

I worry that people will pick "public" by default without thinking about it. And this will result in annoyances.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

That wouldn't be any different than it is now, would it?

I'd say it's the responsibility of the Addon author to decide what should be made "public" and what "faction".

Because the RP addon has somehow established itself as test case:

Have one field labeled "warlikenes" which the Addon makes available as "public"
    Have another field labeled "bio" which the Addon makes available as "faction"

Then add a checkbox "make bio available for enemy faction", which if checked (unchecked by default) would change the "bio" publication to "public".

Now that was just related to Storage.* as I haven't tested the Message.* stuff enough yet to have something to say about it. So, if an addon checks another player's "Merisioux_Bio" identifier (value 0/1) and there is none, then the bio is either faction-only or the guy doesn't use the addon. Whichever it is, the Addon knows there is no Bio to fetch.
    Last edited by Imhothar; 03-29-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Some clarification:
    I just assumed the Addon to put a datum in the player storage signaling other players that a certain addon exists (or at least once existed) on the given player and that chances are high she will respond to certain types of messages. That field in the storage could be something simple like the timestamp of the last bio change.

The thing is: if it's not present then either because the information is not available cross-faction or the addon is not present. Whichever it is, one can expect addon messages to not be answered if the field is missing in storage.

Yeah. Unless it's because they ran out of storage.

I think I will probably implement the same functionality in my "make these variables available for querying" addon. Although... hmm.

I wonder: Is it guaranteed that Inspect.Unit.Detail(name).faction exists for the entity from which I received an addon message?

Just realized, to be in-line with recent PTS changes it should be called "alliance", not "faction".

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    Just realized, to be in-line with recent PTS changes it should be called "alliance", not "faction".
    Right you are.

I should make an addon which does nothing but intercept all the likely related calls and add 'horde' as a synonym.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Right you are.

I should make an addon which does nothing but intercept all the likely related calls and add 'horde' as a synonym.
    I'm counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Right you are.

Lok'tar ogar, Seebs!

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

+ Reply to Thread