+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need ideas for an addon

Default Need ideas for an addon

Well, after my previous addon attempt fell through (what i wanted to do turned out to be pretty much impossible) i've been itching to try my hand at it again.

Now with the introduction of cross-player addon communication and server side storage there are some new possibilities that are opening up in the API. I don't know what the community wants/needs as far as addons go so i'm turning to you guys to help me find some ideas to get started.

perhaps an idea that already exists but taken to another level with cross-player addon communication or something

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Well, I'll warn you off RP addons, just because I'm already designing one. :P

Guild calendars look promising with the new stuff in 1.8.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

Two (similar) ideas:
    Shared ignore list - The ignore list is one of the most important features that allow a player to form appropriate random raids, but as soon as you raid with multiple characters, you have to somehow synchronize your character's ignore lists. It would be great to have an addon that does exactly that.

Player rating addon - While ignoring people is a possible solution, you are sometimes forced to put a bad player on your ignore list even if he/she is a nice person. It would be great to have a rating feature instead that allows me to rate a player in various categories (like: player skill raid/instance, attitude) and/or add comments, which are easily visible before I invite someone to a group/raid. It would be interesting to have this information shared public between other addon users, however that would prove to be very difficult at social level.

I still want one that displays the distance between your current target and where you are.
    But I'd probably have a better chance solving a 10x10 rubix cube than even beginning to understand how to do that, so.. Yeah.
    ~Quiescent

Shadowlander

how about creating an addon like i had i WoW called Bagnon. Basically every time you opened your bags instead of seeing 5 seperate bags you will see 1 big ui bag with the slots you would have totalling your 5 seperate bags.

much better way of sorting bag space. Can also be done for the bank bags as well

please xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmiya View Post
    how about creating an addon like i had i WoW called Bagnon. Basically every time you opened your bags instead of seeing 5 seperate bags you will see 1 big ui bag with the slots you would have totalling your 5 seperate bags.

much better way of sorting bag space. Can also be done for the bank bags as well

please xx
    Like this?
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Default Warfront Commander

How about an addon that allows you to bring up a map of a WF and quickly draw where you want people to go and attack and defend. Using the new inter-player addon api function the information could be sent to everyone else in the WF (running the addon) where it is displayed in a concise manner...

We had something like this in WAR, but on second thoughts, this may not be that useful in Rift. I Guess similar functionality could be used to explain to people what to do in a raid, a kind of interactive whiteboard

Actually, if you don't do it, I may just write an interactive whiteboard addon myself lol. I can just picture the WF now.... 5 mins in and everyone is still at the start point frantically trying to out scribble their team mates.
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 03-28-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

Shadowlander

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TwoThe View Post
    Player rating addon - While ignoring people is a possible solution, you are sometimes forced to put a bad player on your ignore list even if he/she is a nice person. It would be great to have a rating feature instead that allows me to rate a player in various categories (like: player skill raid/instance, attitude) and/or add comments, which are easily visible before I invite someone to a group/raid. It would be interesting to have this information shared public between other addon users, however that would prove to be very difficult at social level.
    hmm the gears are turning

this intrests me, i wonder if there is a way to do it that wouldn't be so resource consuming...

it could broadcast every so often (10 seconds?) to nearby players. the messages could be in the format:

name,score,weight

the question is. how do you distinguish between conflicting broadcasts? how do you tell who has the most updated scores? how do you ensure that votes are only cast and counted once?

perhaps if each player only broadcast their own votes, and each player tallied their own averages based on the votes they have had broadcast to them... but you'd still have to have a way to check that you haven't already received that persons vote in the past

edit:

voterID,player,score could work but i'd have to ensure that the voters identity could not be compromised...
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-28-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Ratings are very vulnerable to abuse, but I like the basic idea. There's also a definite risk of the database being Too Large. What'd be awesome would be to have a collaborative filtering system similar to what netflix et al. use.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ratings are very vulnerable to abuse, but I like the basic idea. There's also a definite risk of the database being Too Large. What'd be awesome would be to have a collaborative filtering system similar to what netflix et al. use.
    yes i would have to ensure abuse was minimized, i already have some ideas on that front.

can you explain how netflix etc does ratings?
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-28-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Only vaguely:

Basically, they compare your ratings to those of another person, and give that person's ratings a weighting that reflects how likely you are to agree with them. So if you've one-starred a bunch of things, someone who's five-starred those things will not be counted heavily in predictions of your ratings, but someone who's one-or-two starred them will be weighted more heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    hmm the gears are turning

voterID,player,score could work but i'd have to ensure that the voters identity could not be compromised...
    The stop abuse of the system to harass people I think it would only be fair that you can see who has voted what for who...

if it's not clear who voted what for who then it would be very easy for a group of people to alienate another player maybe for personal in-life reasons, nothing to do with their performance in-game. Be careful with this one, could come back and bite you...
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 03-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

Since you can see the sender of a message, I'd say treat all votes as coming from the sender, and don't design addons to forward votes. But do design them to let you blacklist a sender.

Telaran

I would try the rating addon without the inter-player communication first (so local only) and once that is working (and you got the hang of it) to continue with the broadcasting. There is much more to think about than just the technical aspects to prevent abuse of the system or worse.

One step at a time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast