+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NerfedWar
  • 1 Post By the_real_seebs

Thread: RiftTextField: ALREADY multi-line

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default RiftTextField: ALREADY multi-line

So I spent a bunch of time sweating blood getting a minimal text editor widget built for RiftRC, based on my discovery that RiftTextField is single-line only.

I was wrong.

It turns out it can handle multi-line stuff just fine, BUT, you must manually implement newlines and tabs yourself, because by default it doesn't handle them.

I haven't figured out how to scroll it yet, but I am assuming that's somehow covered.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    So I spent a bunch of time sweating blood getting a minimal text editor widget built for RiftRC, based on my discovery that RiftTextField is single-line only.

I was wrong.

It turns out it can handle multi-line stuff just fine, BUT, you must manually implement newlines and tabs yourself, because by default it doesn't handle them.

I haven't figured out how to scroll it yet, but I am assuming that's somehow covered.
    There was an example of new lines and tabs in LuaPad. If I remember correctly at the time the text cursor positioning functons did not work properly so I ad to make creative use of the text select function to achieve similar.

Scrolling I think was also covered. No idea if that addon loads anymore, but I know doxxx took the basics and improved upon it considerably in his simple widgets library.
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 03-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It does, but the scrolling relies on the LibSimpleWidgets stuff, and I haven't yet figured out how it works.

I was pretty blindsided by the idea that the textfield would work perfectly, with working arrow keys, but not handle carriage return except by manual insertion. And I think Zorba even said something about wanting to get around to adding a multi-line text field, so I assumed there wasn't one.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    It does, but the scrolling relies on the LibSimpleWidgets stuff, and I haven't yet figured out how it works.

I was pretty blindsided by the idea that the textfield would work perfectly, with working arrow keys, but not handle carriage return except by manual insertion. And I think Zorba even said something about wanting to get around to adding a multi-line text field, so I assumed there wasn't one.
    Surprised me too!
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

+ Reply to Thread