+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Character set for character names?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Character set for character names?

What assumptions can we make safely about character names?

I have thoughts involving storage and character names. Obviously, character names are not using a full eight bits per byte...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    What assumptions can we make safely about character names?

I have thoughts involving storage and character names. Obviously, character names are not using a full eight bits per byte...
    Character names are encoded as UTF-8. Any valid UTF-8 string may be a valid character name - if not today, then if/when Rift gets ported to a new language.

I suggest using Utility.Storage.Size just to be on the safe side with multibyte characters.

But this throws up something else: Can guilds have the same name as player characters?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Character names are encoded as UTF-8. Any valid UTF-8 string may be a valid character name - if not today, then if/when Rift gets ported to a new language.
    The UI is currently MUCH more restrictive there -- no numbers, no punctuation, and no choice of capitalization. So right now, in the US, we're looking at 26 choices per character. Although maybe it's different in other languages.

But fair enough, I won't try to develop a character name compressor.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    But fair enough, I won't try to develop a character name compressor.
    Yeah, I'd recommend doing this if and only if character names start becoming a significant fraction of message or storage traffic. I know for a fact that different languages have different restrictions.

+ Reply to Thread