+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [Addon] Mere Healing Frames

Telaran

Default [Addon] Mere Healing Frames

FYI, I'm now up to version 0.3.0

So I've now released 0.3.0, so I've updated some of info below to reflect the current situation.

Version 0.3.0 supports a number of things:
    * layouts and spell sets are configurable through a config UI (type /mhf config)
    * in combat reconnects should bring back up useable frames (love to hear if it really is the case)
    * lots of filtering options available, so a layout can show you units based on calling, role and group. So you can create a frame of just tanks, or cleric healers, or even rogue healers (although it'll always be empty) see screenshot

Next on the list to fix are:
    * buff/debuffs aren't configurable yet, they're next on my list.
    * different sorting options in frames, eg bottom to top, right to left, compact group id gaps.
    * I think the spell assignments UI could do with more work, it functions, but perhaps not optimally.

I've posted a few more screenshots up on riftui, feel free to take a look, or even try the addon from RiftUI

And if you want to have a look at the source, and change history, it's all up on:
    RiftUI: Git MereHealingFrames

As always throw comments either here, or on riftui.

Thanks,
    Mere

-- original post below:
    Hi,

I've been working on a new raid/healing frames addon, and I'm looking for some alpha testers to start playing with them after this weekend.

I originally started work on new frames because I felt rift healer lacked key information, eg how much health does someone reallly have, (expecially tanks!) or can I reshield someone.

To that end I started to look at adding support to rift healer, but concluded that rift healer had a number of issues due to how it's architected, I suspect these are due to limitations in the addon API when work started on it. But also it has assumptions on layouts, groupings etc.

So I started from scratch, designing what I want from healing frames. For me thats:
    • ability to have multiple healing windows, eg I want a main raid window, but I want tanks in a seperate window as well.
    • ability to show buff/debuff pairings, I'm currently leveling a purifier, and knowing when I need to and actually can recast Ward of the Ancestors on someone is very handy
    • show mana/energy bars
    • tell me x/y (%) for bars - I hate having just a %age, my tank is 100% health great, till I realise that it's 100% of 2k, not 4k they should have at my level...
    • ability to size and configure the panels to my tastes, don't like 4x5, well you can have 5x4, or sort by name, not group position, (if you want to make all your healing panels appear in a circle around the middle feel free to send me the code to lay it out and I'll add it (actually I'm tempted to add that just to show it can be done )
    • ability to not break when someone has left the group/raid
    • all of this with minimal CPU, I believe the event API has come a long way, such that in combat most things can be event driven
    • support using the scroll wheel on my mouse for casting, totaling 7 mouse buttons, plus modifiers.

I believe that right now I've accomplished a lot of the above.

I've successfully healed 5-mans with the frames, and also tracked it's CPU usage against rift healer, and it comes in pretty lightweight, showing in 5man ~1.5% cpu usage in combat, rift healer was using 4.5%. (I do have a screenshot, but the forums won't upload it for some reason...)

I've a screenshot up of healing a 5-man with bcpu showing CPU usage for mhf, on riftUI: http://s.riftui.com/preview/pvw550.jpg

However, my problem is that my healing experience in rift has been while leveling a cleric using the premade build, so while I've solved my problems with healing, I've not healed in raids, and I've not healed with other specs and classes.

To help fill that gap in what I can test I'm looking for a few people willing to take the time and test out the addon.

I will list what's currently needs work, some of these items should be quick to fix/implement:
    • configuration
      • not everything is configurable right now (I'm expecting to fix that over the weekend)
      • there's no config UI
      • the commandline will initially be used to do the configuration, as this means I can focus on making the frames work, not on working out how to put together a decent looking configuration UI
      • eventually I plan to add a config UI, but for alpha/beta I'd rather get the core frames engine fast, and with the features wanted
      • note that a benefit of being command line driven is that sharing configs will be much easier, so the command line interface will probably always be there, hiding under the covers.
    • buff/debuff
      • currently support 5 buff/debuff icons
      • each icon can only show one buff/debuff pairing, supporting multiple should be possible, and always show the latest one to appear
      • no timers or stacks shown (I think stacks should be quite easy, timers would need pulsing, and may impact CPU)
      • only shows buffs/debuffs that you cast (I expect this to be configurable)
      • only supports laying out buffs from the top right corner of the user panels, I need to add more options here
      • need to add support for curse/disease/poison as an icon. Currently I track the how many of each, but don't display that information anywhere. (also stacking cleansables may need some work) I'm thinking of showing the highest stack so that it's easier to determine if you blow the clean everything CD, or just a clean 1 of everything spell.
    • panels
      • pets are currently ignored, eventually they will be supported in some way, need to work out the design to do so.
      • can't configure what text to show on the bars, eg if you don't want to show health %age you can't hide it
      • if someone has aggro and is LoS it's not clear that's the case
      • currently no option to colour code the health bar to match the player's class (I will be adding that)
      • add more filtering options, eg I only want players and pets from group 2 in this set of panels
    • casting/mouse bindings
      • only single spell casts are supported for each button
      • need to add "target" and "custom macro" support
    • tooltips
      • basic tooltips are quite messy for the panels, they give very raw macro information, which is a bit convoluted.
      • probably need to add basic tooltip that gives "titled" name, level, location, guild etc, then extended option to show the spell info
    • colours
      • name of colours may not be obvious what the colour is actually for
    • combat
      • if the raid/group changes during combat some of the processing of people joining and leaving is done after combat finishes, I'm not sure how this will actually work out. For someone leaving their healing panel is left in place, but with text showing they've left the group. If someone joins currently no place holder panel is created (you'd not be able to heal them through the frames anyway)
    • languages
      • currently just english (infact british english, so expect excessive u's
    • soul spec changes
      • need to add support to automatically change display/spells/layouts based on your current spec. I plan to allow soul specs to share frames, but use different spells & buff/debuff tracking. IE you'll have the same frames for most specs, but different mouse spells between different roles (note you can still share them, so if you've two variations on a soul spec, you can use the same bindings/buffs)

Addon dependancies:
    • Safe's Raid Manager - I use this to help track group membership, as it's needed for King Boss Mods, I'm hoping it's not a hardship to have installed, as King Boss Mods
    • LibGetOpt - embedded - used for handling command line options

The addon, currently just in git on riftui, there's no packages right now, as it's hard coded to support my healing as a leveling cleric healer, so the mouse bindings won't work for anyone else:
    RiftUI: MereHealingFrames

My task for the weekend is to remove the hard coded bindings, make them configurable. I expect to make a first release, hopefully, early next week.

TLDR: if you're can help test out these frames please let me know (even if it's just having them run alongside your normal frames, so I can gather more info on cpu usage etc)

I'd also like feedback on what other functionality are people looking for from their frames.

Thanks,
    Mere
    Last edited by Mere; 04-06-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Updated for v 0.3.0

I love your coding style, much more object oriented

While the functionality of the frames is all fine, I gotta admit your frames themselves look very messy and 'busy'. I was hoping for a more minimal approach.

Nevertheless a nice add-on. Not what I was looking for unfortunately
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    While the functionality of the frames is all fine, I gotta admit your frames themselves look very messy and 'busy'. I was hoping for a more minimal approach.

Nevertheless a nice add-on. Not what I was looking for unfortunately
    So what are you looking for?

Just because I've text turned on, and the hot icons, doesn't mean you have to. If you wanted a set of frames with just a role icon and health bar, it will be configurable. (actually if you wanted a completely naked set of 20 health bars that's also doable)

Tell me what your after and I'll look at what it would take, although I can't promise I'll actually do it, but it may fall out of the wash of me adding the configurabilty in

The design I'm aiming for is that you can have simple or complex frames, that are efficient (although obviously the more complex, the more CPU)

Quote Originally Posted by Mere View Post
    So what are you looking for?

Just because I've text turned on, and the hot icons, doesn't mean you have to. If you wanted a set of frames with just a role icon and health bar, it will be configurable. (actually if you wanted a completely naked set of 20 health bars that's also doable)

Tell me what your after and I'll look at what it would take, although I can't promise I'll actually do it, but it may fall out of the wash of me adding the configurabilty in

The design I'm aiming for is that you can have simple or complex frames, that are efficient (although obviously the more complex, the more CPU)
    Ah yes, I understand all this, but I think asking you to implement all the things I'd like and to make the frames exactly as I want, would be far too much work.

Not to worry though, it wasn't per se criticism, I've my own frames I've been working on coupled with a more advanced buff tracker. I just wanted to compliment you on the nice frames.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    Not to worry though, it wasn't per se criticism, I've my own frames I've been working on coupled with a more advanced buff tracker. I just wanted to compliment you on the nice frames.
    I didn't view it as criticism I know that one addon won't solve problems for everyone, I accept that, (or if it does do everything it ends up with a huge mess of configuration to wade through and understand)

I'm genuinely interested in knowing what you're looking for, as I'm always open to ideas of functionality that could be added. So unless you're looking for something completely nuts (every time the tank takes damage you want elephants doing a Zorbas dance to fly across the screen), it's possible other people might want something similar

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Interesting - and since Safe recently added in the "Yo dawg, heard you liked ..." meme idea to his addon to allow of plugins(addons within KBM). It might have some potential (i hope) to be integrated with it!
    --BC

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I am very interested in this concept. I haven't done much healing yet in rift, but I find good frames really useful.

Things I have valued in other healing addons:

* Phantom health showing expected incoming heals (requires addon synch)
    * Some sort of animation or indication of rate of damage taken.
    * The option of converting large health numbers to k or m so they're easier to read.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

The fact that it has mana bars makes me happy.
    Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I am very interested in this concept. I haven't done much healing yet in rift, but I find good frames really useful.

Things I have valued in other healing addons:

* Phantom health showing expected incoming heals (requires addon synch)
    * Some sort of animation or indication of rate of damage taken.
    * The option of converting large health numbers to k or m so they're easier to read.
    Incoming heals is a tricky one, for a long time WoW had libhealcomm, eventually wow implemented the same functionality ingame, and people now use that. Perhaps we harass zorba to implement a more detailed heal cast event, right now we can see people casting, but even if we know the spell, it'd be hard to know what it'd heal for.

Rate of damage might be doable, I've not looked at the events around damage taken, if they cover the current damage taken and how much was absorbed etc, some kind of current damage rate could be calculated, and either some kind of marks in the frame, or time till death. My worry would be accuracy, eg tanks that get lucky dodge/parry streaks might suddenly take no damage, and then take lots of damage.

The health being turned into k/m should be fairly simple, by adding a custom text formatting function.

Quote Originally Posted by Mere View Post
    Incoming heals is a tricky one, for a long time WoW had libhealcomm, eventually wow implemented the same functionality ingame, and people now use that. Perhaps we harass zorba to implement a more detailed heal cast event, right now we can see people casting, but even if we know the spell, it'd be hard to know what it'd heal for.

Rate of damage might be doable, I've not looked at the events around damage taken, if they cover the current damage taken and how much was absorbed etc, some kind of current damage rate could be calculated, and either some kind of marks in the frame, or time till death. My worry would be accuracy, eg tanks that get lucky dodge/parry streaks might suddenly take no damage, and then take lots of damage.

The health being turned into k/m should be fairly simple, by adding a custom text formatting function.
    Glad you didn't say no to Inc heals detection. We were thinking of have an internal combatlog parser ans for predicting how much to heal for. We were going to record per raid averages of heal amounts for an estimated amount. This also would give us the opportunity to a certain degree shield abortions. At least tell us when someone has a shield and when it gets off. As for incoming damage prediction same deal, it doesn't have to super accurate, just base it off combatlog parse of a few seconds.

So I look forward to seeing how you manage to do this, this is something we discussed for LifeBinder a while ago and decided to leave it for a much later version while the most basic features are enhanced.
    Gloomyfridays @ Briarcliff. bbl for sig contest.

Telaran

FYI, I've updated the original post for 0.3.0, which is now up on riftui.

The main feature missing is configurable buff/debuff tracking, which is next on the list to do.
    Last edited by Mere; 04-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.

My question would be, do these work with @mouseoverui macros? I have tried other frames that will only work with mousebinds (sadface).

I'd like to see addons like Grid or Xperl, that actually work with either mouseover macros/leftclick or mousebinds if prefered.

Quote Originally Posted by Isadore View Post
    My question would be, do these work with @mouseoverui macros? I have tried other frames that will only work with mousebinds (sadface).

I'd like to see addons like Grid or Xperl, that actually work with either mouseover macros/leftclick or mousebinds if prefered.
    Use @mouseover instead of @mouseoverui and mere's addon will work
    Last edited by Rompa; 04-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Telaran

As Roompa says, @mouseover is supported.

Unfortunately @mouseoverui won't work at the moment (for any addon), as the API only allows us to specify a unitId for mouseover, but not that this should count as UI for mouseover.

I've raised a feature request, as I can imagine a number of people having mouseoverui macros they'd want to be able to use. How long it'd take to be implemented, I don't know, it'd probably depend on how something is determined to be UI, and where it ends up on Zorba's list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast