+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Out of range detection question

Default Out of range detection question

I have a problem while writing the out of range detection for my addon, the only thing that I can write is line of sight detection, you can say that's a buggy out of range detection because the environment is complex and most of the times there is something in the way that triggers the line of sight event so is it seems that my non existent out of range detection works but it isn't (of course, it doesn't exists!, you can say).

I can't use the "Inspect.Ability.Detail" because i don't always have a target selected and probably won't be the correct unit

Just to explain why i need that, i wrote an healbot clone and knowing the out of range status is an useful thing to have

Also i can see that the default raid frame shows that the player is out of range, but way far from 35m which is the maximum range of the healing spells, i can prove that if needed, but is not a big problem, knowing that someone is out of range is more than enough, i need only that

I can wait patch 1.8 (when i will have coordinates) but if someone knows how to do that on 1.7 would be great
    Last edited by Rompa; 03-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Plane Touched

I've only played very little with the system so far, but shouldn't Event.Ability.Range give you exactly what you need?

Thanks but,For that to work you have to target the unit you want to find if it's in range, i can't target everyone to see if it's in range

What about using your coords, the unit's coords, and a bit of Pythagoras?

If you are at {px, py, pz}, and the unit is at {ux, uy, uz}, then something like:

math.sqrt( (ux-px) * (ux-px) + (uy-py) * (uy-py) + (uz-pz) * (uz-pz) )

Should give you the range to the unit...

This is off the top of my head, but something roughly like that should work. Square root is a very expensive operation, so you'd actually want to drop that and compare the squared value against (35*35) in code, but the basic idea should work.

I've been meaning to knock up a simple target range finder addon, but haven't got round to it yet.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 03-20-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSprout View Post
    What about using your coords, the unit's coords, and a bit of Pythagoras?

If you are at {px, py, pz}, and the unit is at {ux, uy, uz}, then something like:

math.sqrt( (ux-px) * (ux-px) + (uy-py) * (uy-py) + (uz-pz) * (uz-pz) )

Should give you the range to the unit...

This is off the top of my head, but something roughly like that should work. Square root is a very expensive operation, so you'd actually want to drop that and compare the squared value against (35*35) in code, but the basic idea should work.

I've been meaning to knock up a simple target range finder addon, but haven't got round to it yet.
    Yes, i'm sorry but my question was... can i do that in 1.7?

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rompa View Post
    No, but you can do that in 1.8.

There's no good way to accomplish what you're looking for in 1.7, but the new functionality is live on the PTS right now. Develop your addon there and it will work when 1.8 is released.

Ah, OK. I answered before you edited your question to specify that. I don't think there is a way to do it until 1.8 unfortunately (though it's so close now, I'd just wait myself )

Edit: and Zorba confirmed while I was still typing... I'm obviously getting too old and slow for this ;)
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 03-20-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    No, but you can do that in 1.8.

There's no good way to accomplish what you're looking for in 1.7, but the new functionality is live on the PTS right now. Develop your addon there and it will work when 1.8 is released.
    Yes thanks a lot, i was planning to wait for 1.8 api, i was only wondering if there was a way to do it in 1.7 that I was missing.
    Thanks for the response, sorry to bother you, in the end was only a curiosity

Ah, OK. I answered before you edited your question to specify that. I don't think there is a way to do it until 1.8 unfortunately (though it's so close now, I'd just wait myself )

Edit: and Zorba confirmed while I was still typing... I'm obviously getting too old and slow for this ;)
    the question from the start was :
    I can wait patch 1.8 (when i will have coordinates) but if someone knows how to do that on 1.7 would be great
    It's the last line

Sorry for not explaining more my question like i must have done

the question from the start was :
    It's the last line
    Oops, my bad then, sorry. I guess I didn't read it properly first time. I think I need more coffee ;)

Your healbot addon sounds interesting - are you planning to publish it, or is it a personal project?

Oops, my bad then, sorry. I guess I didn't read it properly first time. I think I need more coffee ;)

Your healbot addon sounds interesting - are you planning to publish it, or is it a personal project?
    For now it's on riftui, it's called RiftHbot http://riftui.com/downloads/info213-RiftHbot.html,

Minervah and I are working on that to make it like vuhdo, that is the goal

+ Reply to Thread