+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: File I/O

Rift Disciple

Default File I/O

Just a quick question here: Can RIFT addons input and output to any type of files (XML, TXT, XLS, etc)? Is there any support for this currently, or possibly in the future?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Currently no. There's a lot of concern from the design folks about how to lock down such features.

Zorba's expressed interest in giving us access to (heavily locked down) something like sqlite, which I for one would love to see.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

For now the only way is using SavedVariables and parse/convert/whatever the generated Lua file(s). Allthough they are saved only on UI reloads it's a start for data mining.

Rift Disciple

Too bad. I don't see what harm can come by allowing addons to simply dump an output.txt to their respective directory (then again I don't know much about security). Oh well, hopefully a feature will be added in the future. Thanks for the quick answers!

Well it would allow external tools real time access to any ingame data available to addons.
    That alone is a double edged sword.

Nothing the API exposes is at all any critical data, I don't see what danger there is by storing everything in a TXT, however, SQLite would be awesome.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    Nothing the API exposes is at all any critical data, I don't see what danger there is by storing everything in a TXT, however, SQLite would be awesome.
    Remember the rage when people learned about addons? Now imagine the same but ten times worse.
    Realtime streaming of any ingame data to anywhere in the world is a whole different story.
    But that is for Trion to judge.

Rift Chaser

Technically speaking, couldn't some sort of perhaps simplified RDBMS be created in Lua and be adapted to work with Rift and Rift's saved variable capabilities? Albeit, if even remotely possible, memory management would be a huge concern.
    Do note that I'm still not very familiar with Lua.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 03-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

In theory it could, but the overhead of implementing a reasonably flexible RDBMS, compared to the overhead of sqlite (which is seriously awesome), is... well. Long story short. It'd be worth having.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    Well it would allow external tools real time access to any ingame data available to addons.
    That alone is a double edged sword.
    How is this functionally any different to turning on your non-combat log, and having the addon print out its information, which these external tools would then parse?

12:11:21: Noncombat logging enabled
    12:11:25: [Proc Watcher] Saved: Wind's Breath [410/5501 5.04s,BLOCK]
    12:11:25: [Proc Watcher] Saved: Golem Actuator [0/0 60.00s,DMGIN]
    12:11:25: [Proc Watcher] Saved: Aelfwar Conspirator's Signet [2/1378 60.00s,DMGOUT]

Since the capability already exists, there is nothing to be gained from preventing it (other than not spamming the player I suppose)
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Telaran

Give me five minutes and I destroy your installation of Windows with Rift Addon file access. That is why it is not included and it is a good decision.

The big question I'd like to give back is: for what do you need file access beyond exporting game data for external web-sites?

Plane Touched

To allow us to import/export data without having to reload the interface.

Importing data (inserting new external data into the addon environment without user interaction nor reloading) can be done right now, but it's slow.

I've yet to figure out how to export data without user interaction nor reloading. I have some ideas about how to do the trick, but haven't tested them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoThe View Post
    Give me five minutes and I destroy your installation of Windows with Rift Addon file access. That is why it is not included and it is a good decision.
    What a bunch of utter garbage. I'd love to see anyone destroy a Windows installation with only access to the add-on's local folder and simple text output.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    What a bunch of utter garbage. I'd love to see anyone destroy a Windows installation with only access to the add-on's local folder and simple text output.
    Code:
    while true do file.write("Utter garbage") file.flush() end
    You should not limit your QA by your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoThe View Post
    Code:
    while true do file.write("Utter garbage") file.flush() end
    You should not limit your QA by your imagination.
    How will filling my G: partition trash my windows installation ?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast