+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Reactive bar: Can we implement this?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Reactive bar: Can we implement this?

Got to thinking, and it occurs to me that, with what I know, it appears that I cannot implement a "reactive bar" -- that is to say, a bar that works like the game's built-in reactive ability bar.

So far as I can tell, none of the things you would need to create (or show/hide) buttons can be done during combat. So you can have static buttons, but I can't see a way to make buttons which come and go.

At the same time, I can't conceive of a way to make this available to addons without permitting automation. Unless! What if we were allowed to predefine conditions for frames using some predefined terms? Like:

MyReactiveButton:SetVisible("POWER_AVAILABLE", a.id)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

We can't make the buttons clickable, but why do that? You shouldn't click!! :P
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

I don't think we can set keybindings, either.

I actually mix clicking and pushing buttons, depending.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I try to generally avoid clicking on abilities I use often, only things I rarely use like flasks and soul recall.

There's no need to keybind reactive bars, as you'd just press your usual keybind for the spell.

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Got to thinking, and it occurs to me that, with what I know, it appears that I cannot implement a "reactive bar" -- that is to say, a bar that works like the game's built-in reactive ability bar.

So far as I can tell, none of the things you would need to create (or show/hide) buttons can be done during combat. So you can have static buttons, but I can't see a way to make buttons which come and go.

At the same time, I can't conceive of a way to make this available to addons without permitting automation. Unless! What if we were allowed to predefine conditions for frames using some predefined terms? Like:

MyReactiveButton:SetVisible("POWER_AVAILABLE", a.id)
    You've basically come to the exact same conclusion I did I can't think of a way to allow a reactive bar without automation and without essentially implementing a custom "reactive bar API". Which does not, at the moment, seem worth the time.

In general I really want to get the API to the point where the entire Rift UI can be reimplemented in terms of the API. There are a few spots where I think the benefit may simply not be worth the work, and the reactive bar is one of those.

(most of the others are extremely simple dialogs, like the Warfront dialog and the LFG dialog)

So far as I can tell, I can make a bar which is like a reactive bar, but which does not intercept mouse clicks, and is just a display. And that's the main functionality I'd want anyway. It just suddenly occurred to me that there's specific functionality I can't replicate. Oh, also the "bar switches mode in stealth" thing -- not that I use it, but it seems like it might be nice to have the option.

Hmm. Idle curiousity; imagine that you start to switch roles and then somehow enter combat without actually being hit. Does the role switch complete?

Rift Disciple

Another option is to do what Blizzard did: have a standard frame which represents an "action button" that allows you to specify what spell/item it should display and then it behaves exactly like a button on the native Rift action bar. The frame is "secure" so it can't be moved, resized, have its visibility changed, etc. during combat.
    Last edited by dOxxx; 03-15-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dOxxx View Post
    Another option is to do what Blizzard did: have a standard frame which represents an "action button" that allows you to specify what spell/item it should display and then it behaves exactly like a button on the native Rift action bar. The frame is "secure" so it can't be moved, resized, have its visibility changed, etc. during combat.

That'd be perfect, but perhaps that's something for the future

Telaran

I've found a way to show/hide "restricted" buttons in combat. Basically you just set their alpha to zero. This still has the problem that they will still capture mouse events and fire any bound macros, so its not perfect.

+ Reply to Thread