+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proposed option: Addons and Saved Variables in user's home directory

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Proposed option: Addons and Saved Variables in user's home directory

Suggestion: For the rare case in which someone actually wants to use the intended design of modern Windows, and have user data in the user's directory, not Program Files: Allow us to use something in home directory as the Interface directory. Because in THEORY, that is where we should be storing personal data files anyway.

You know, sort of like how rift.cfg is actually in the user's home directory. So \Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Rift or whatever.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

So, the talk about permissions and such with the streaming client reminded me:

I still really want at least the OPTION of having addons not write to the Rift directory at all.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I still really want at least the OPTION of having addons not write to the Rift directory at all.
    Why?

/10char
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    Why?

/10char
    Long story short:

Because the reason people have all this stuff involving running things as admin, etcetera, is that the modern Windows security model (as well as those on Mac, Unix, etc.) presupposes that in general, you should be writing to your home directory, not to things outside it like the "Program Files" hierarchy.

Also, consider what happens if you decide to move machines. The design is that you copy your personal files to the new machine, and reinstall your applications. Applications which stash your personal data outside your personal files make this harder.

My path to Interface folder now:
    d:\Games\RIFT Game\Interface\

Path to Rift's folder in %APPDATA%:
    c:\Documents and Settings\Kreiri\Application Data\Rift\

%APPDATA% is also a hidden folder. Seebs, are you up to task of explaining each and every user where to find saved variables?
    Last edited by Kreiri; 03-31-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Now, about moving machines. If I wanted to install Rift on other PC, I'd only have to copy Rift folder on my USB flash drive and then copy it to that PC. And if Rift stored its config in its folder, not in %APPDATA%, I wouldn't have to reconfig video&audio/rummage in hidden folders. And, I must say, i wouldn't have to re-accept ToU every time I switch from PTS client to live.
    Last edited by Kreiri; 03-31-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

It is conceivable that they could use a non-hidden folder.

The problem with the current setup is that it is why we have devs still setting programs up to automatically attempt privilege escalation so everything runs as admin, and support people telling people to just run everything as admin, and also gigantic botnets because users are trained to run everything as admin.

The security system is never gonna work if people keep insisting that it must be completely bypassed and discarded to avoid confusing users.

You got special folders on Win 7 for Saved Games, that might be an option for configs and saved variabels.

On earlier machines, chosing the user's documents instead of app data might work, too. Most people have a shortcut to their documents somewhere by default.

I just don't see the apparent benefit, you say Windows would like to see it that way, but many of Microsoft's own applications throw everything all around the system as do the majority of programs. Nobody in Windows cares about consistency at all which is why it is such a bloaty operating system that's so bloody awful to begin with.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

+ Reply to Thread