+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macro/Addon/Script

Default Macro/Addon/Script

Im looking for a macro that will make the tooltip of the icon show the skill to be cast next. Like this

cast Testskill1 When this will be cast show this spells tool tip.
    cast testskill2 When this will be cast show this spells tool tip.
    cast testskill3 When this will be cast show this spells tool tip.

after learning more about macros im compfortable bumping this.

So for example

#show spell about to be cast
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast spell that is on 5 sec CD
    cast spell that is on a 7 sec CD
    cast spell that is show in the tooltip at this moment because it isnt on cooldown and will be used on the next button press
    Swerve - Seastone - Guardian

It's not quite as easy as you might think.

The built in macro system won't do it, and we can't change the icon shown on an action bar button from an addon. The closest we could get (I think) is to show a separate icon on the screen for the spell that is about to be cast.

But there is also no easy way to determine which spell would be cast if a macro was run at that point. The addon would have to monitor the cooldowns on all of your abilities, and be written with full knowledge of exactly what your specific macro does, so that it could work out itself what spell would be cast. An addon cannot see, read, or interact with any of your macros, so it would all have to be completely separate.

TL;DR; Can't really be done, sorry!

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Can't be done and shouldn't be done.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Soulwalker

I'd settle for:

#show [modifier1] ability
    #show [modifier2] ability
    #show ability

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    Can't be done and shouldn't be done.
    why shouldn't it?

i don't see the harm in changing an icon...

also i believe this is currently possible. just make a frame that is click-through-able and have the image shown on the frame be whatever the next ability that is usable shown and let the user drag it over top of the place where the macro is on there hotbar (same size as the hotbar button)

Event.Ability.Cooldown.Begin
    Event.Ability.Cooldown.End
    Event.Ability.Range.False
    Event.Ability.Range.True
    Event.Ability.Usable.False
    Event.Ability.Usable.True
    the catch: you'd have to set up the regular macro in the macro UI outside the addon, and also input what the macro order is in the addon. so it'd be twice as much work for the user but will still achieve the desired effect
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 04-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Honestly, this is one of the few areas where I think WoW did a better job of promoting active player control than Rift did. WoW's macros couldn't do stuff like automatically pick a spell which was not on cooldown, and I think that made for a better game. Meanwhile, they correctly showed what ability you had selected, even if it depended on modifier keys or whether you had a friendly or hostile target picked, which was more informative, and I think that made for a better game too.

Rift's macros can actually make decisions for you; WoW's could only reflect decisions you had already made.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I have to agree, WoW's macro system was much better than Rift's.

There are lots of abilities on my Rift characters where I don't really know what they do. They are buried in a macro somewhere and get triggered while I'm spamming one button, and I never even know I've used them.

I realise it would be a massive change to the game and the way people play it, but I would love for the macro system to be overhauled to work more like WoW's.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

jca
    Rift Chaser

I'm not so sure wow's macro system would work very well with Rift. The reason is the nature of the soul trees. There are just too many short-cd abilities that need to be rotated in and there are only so many key-bindings available. With macros I have at least a dozen macros per spec plus another dozen or so single ability binds. Without the ability to add short-cd abilities in with others I'd probably need upwards of 50 keybinds. There just aren't enough keys that are reasonablely usable to do that.
    Last edited by jca; 05-02-2012 at 04:39 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

You could still do that, you just wouldn't have them fire automatically.

Also, I have never used Rift's macros to hide cooldowns and I don't have much trouble finding buttons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread