+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tea Club addon development hosting! Git repo, SSH access, web & more

Default Tea Club addon development hosting! Git repo, SSH access, web & more

Hello everyone,

We here at Tea Club (a small raiding guild on Bloodiron) have quite a collective of addon developers. As I run my own dedicated stack in Amsterdam - in a local data center - I have always offered guildies a fully working development area on my server.

At Tea Club, we care for developing high quality addons, libTea is a result of that, which is meant to make development of addons easier. Next in our line up is this shared server space, which now is open to anyone who is developing an addon!

What You Get
    • Your own space on a FreeBSD (Unix) server, with regular access to a chain of tools.
    • While not part of your package, we also run an IRC server where you will find like-minded addon developers.
    • An unlimited amount of Git repositories, with no data limit whatsoever.
    • An author website, and an addon page for every addon, running on a webserver complete with: PHP, LuaCGI, Perl and Python.
    • Your own MySQL user account with the rights to create databases.
    • Full SSH access to your user account and it's home directory.
    • A read-only directory that you can copy from, containing software such as DokuWiki etc, that you may install on your webpage.

And now you wonder, for all these great things, what would that cost me? And the answer is: Absolutely Nothing. This is purely a service offered to the community for all free, public use - with some other restrictions.

How Do I Get This?

The application process is rather simple, you send me a private message and tell me why you could use this offering. Tell me about the addon(s) you are developing, and about what add ons you might be developing in the future.

If we decide that you could use our service, you will be made an account and get all of the above. Free of charge, no obligations, no anything.

Examples of what no doubt would get this offering:
    • You're developing a set of libraries and are looking for a place to host these things.
    • You're a group of developers, looking for a collaborative space to work in.
    • You're developing an unit frames mod, and the project is becoming too much for you to manage on your own; you are looking for other developers and a space where other people can collaborate with you on your addon.
    • You're simply an addon developer in need of a remote server.

Restrictions

While we are very generous in what we offer and what we restrict, there are some restrictions that apply:
    • Addon development only, no hosting of other software that is not related to your addon.
    • No uploading of explicit content.
    • Your addon should not contain offensive material such as racism, sexism and so forth.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,
    Tea Club
    Last edited by Verea; 03-06-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

First, let me perfectly, crystal clear: I am in no way trying to be negative. That out of the way, I also like choice, both for end users and for developers. But (yep, always a "but") both RiftUI (part of the ZAM network) and Curse/Curseforge already offer everything you offer, plus a few things more.
    • An IRC developers channel already exists (freednode.net #riftuidev)
    • RiftUI offers SVN, and Curse offers SVN, Mercurial (Hg) and Git
    • Curseforge/Curse has an easy to use localization app to drop and automatically update translations
    • Both RiftUI and Curse are long time, very established, popular sites that people already know about
    What I would like to know is how Tea Club, being new and independent, plans to compete with the big two?

Yep, I would forget something or a couple of somethings. The Curse Client is the world's most popular automated installer/updater of addons, and as of this writing, the only one that supports Rift. I understand ZAM is updating Minion to support Rift, but it hasn't happened yet. For the reader's benefit, I purposely used the word "popular" rather than "best" because the former is fact, and the latter is opinion and out of scope of this thread.

What an author could do is use Curseforge's remote repository support for Tea Club's Git system, which is only a few more seconds of setup time during project creation. The author can change the repo location at any time as well.

I am not, as I said first thing in the first reply, knocking Tea Club. Rather, considering you are an alternative (with less options at this time), what are you bringing to the table, besides being an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    First, let me perfectly, crystal clear: I am in no way trying to be negative. That out of the way, I also like choice, both for end users and for developers. But (yep, always a "but") both RiftUI (part of the ZAM network) and Curse/Curseforge already offer everything you offer, plus a few things more.
    While I have no problem with RiftUI, I do not like that it's part of the ZAM network. Curse goes in the same category, for being a money grubbing company that even throttles addons of 20KB in size. I think it's ridiculous.

• An IRC developers channel already exists (freednode.net #riftuidev)
    • RiftUI offers SVN, and Curse offers SVN, Mercurial (Hg) and Git
    • Curseforge/Curse has an easy to use localization app to drop and automatically update translations
    • Both RiftUI and Curse are long time, very established, popular sites that people already know about
    • The IRC server simply we have is there because.. why not. You can easily be connected to multiple IRC Servers at once, and switch between them as you want. We have one so it's easier to find other people also using Tea Club's services.
    • We offer only Git, if you like SVN or Mecurial (Hg) better then you can use their services.
    • We do not.
    • No doubt there. My personal issue with both these sites is that they are part of commercial giants. ZAM's alright in my eyes, but I do not like Curse who tries to ask ridiculous fees for something like downloading and maintaining add ons, they get an incredible amount of traffic and should be able to run off advertisements just fine.

What I would like to know is how Tea Club, being new and independent, plans to compete with the big two?
    I think you put the main point there, we are independent. I do not know if either CurseForge or ZAM offers a full BSD environment either, but that's one thing.

The main thing is that we're developer focused, this is not an addon hosting website per se (though we offer those features). Tea Club's main interest is in providing a very high quality, feature complete environment with no restrictions to support addon development and improve collaboration.

Yep, I would forget something or a couple of somethings. The Curse Client is the world's most popular automated installer/updater of addons, and as of this writing, the only one that supports Rift. I understand ZAM is updating Minion to support Rift, but it hasn't happened yet. For the reader's benefit, I purposely used the word "popular" rather than "best" because the former is fact, and the latter is opinion and out of scope of this thread.
    As it stands, I am developing an automated updater for the Tea Club repositories in C, which is not throttled and free of charge. Of course it limits itself to the Tea Club repositories, but it comes with the benefit of not asking fees for 'Update All Addons' or something as silly as throttling a 20KB file.

What an author could do is use Curseforge's remote repository support for Tea Club's Git system, which is only a few more seconds of setup time during project creation. The author can change the repo location at any time as well.
    They are free to, Tea Club doesn't enforce any restrictions or obligations. So long as you use your account for add on development, you are free to do anything with it you want. Fair use of course applies, if you decide to compile huge C programs in the benefit of your addon (for whatever reason), you might lose your access to such features.

I am not, as I said first thing in the first reply, knocking Tea Club. Rather, considering you are an alternative (with less options at this time), what are you bringing to the table, besides being an alternative?
    I hate repeating myself, but I guess everything we bring to the table is being unrestricted. In the future we may offer more options, but right now we just provide what we can.

A site where, on the link in your signature does not open the site.
    Or even to create?

Quote Originally Posted by GwynnBleidd View Post
    A site where, on the link in your signature does not open the site.
    Or even to create?
    There is a good reason for that right now. Doesn't mean the server doesn't work.

Cool. And answered well. You do not have all your facts correct, but they are minor. For example, both ZAM and Curse are companies, out to make a profit, just like any other company. Must be a political or money bias, that you don't approve of making money, but that is an opinion, and that is out of scope.

Also, yes, the basic membership Curse has does throttle downloads via it's client, both in speed and number of concurrent downloads. ZAM's Minion basic version throttles by speed, but not by download count; however, as mentioned, doesn't support Rift. Another thing: Neither ZAM nor Curse limit file size in any way, shape, or form. An addon can be several megabytes in size, and some data files, media libraries, and a few others are large by necessity.

Both companies have full, free access to directly download addons via their websites.

Further, both ZAM and Curse do offer premium memberships with more perks, but they are by no means mandatory. The vast majority of users do not sign up premium memberships. I can't speak for ZAM, but Curse has revealed that ad revenue alone does not cover their costs. The downside of being the largest fan site for MMOs and other games I suppose. They get millions of hits each and every day, and the downloads skyrocket during patch days. It is very expensive running all those servers and hosting services. Therefore the existance of paid memberships to help bolster ad revenue. End users get perks and cool things and the company makes a bit more money. Everybody wins.

Good to know you are developing an updater. Users love those things!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Cool. And answered well. You do not have all your facts correct, but they are minor. For example, both ZAM and Curse are companies, out to make a profit, just like any other company. Must be a political or money bias, that you don't approve of making money, but that is an opinion, and that is out of scope.
    I never said otherwise, neither did I say that I disapprove of making profit. I personally just think it's a bit overkill to throttle very small files (I could understand throttling a huge media library, though, in fact that's almost a mandatory for any popular host).

Just to add: I have nothing against Curse or ZAM in particular, they offer their own services and of course their policy is their choice. I however, can't agree to those policies and I feel I could offer - in some ways, not all - a better service, especially from a developers point of view.

Also, yes, the basic membership Curse has does throttle downloads via it's client, both in speed and number of concurrent downloads. ZAM's Minion basic version throttles by speed, but not by download count; however, as mentioned, doesn't support Rift. Another thing: Neither ZAM nor Curse limit file size in any way, shape, or form. An addon can be several megabytes in size, and some data files, media libraries, and a few others are large by necessity.
    Naturally. I just expressed above what I think about throttling.

Both companies have full, free access to directly download addons via their websites.
    But throttled, nevertheless. Of course, you could provide a download page on your Tea Club page, but you are not required to.

Further, both ZAM and Curse do offer premium memberships with more perks, but they are by no means mandatory. The vast majority of users do not sign up premium memberships. I can't speak for ZAM, but Curse has revealed that ad revenue alone does not cover their costs. The downside of being the largest fan site for MMOs and other games I suppose. They get millions of hits each and every day, and the downloads skyrocket during patch days. It is very expensive running all those servers and hosting services. Therefore the existance of paid memberships to help bolster ad revenue. End users get perks and cool things and the company makes a bit more money. Everybody wins.
    Agreed, the concurrent downloads thing I can understand, offering that as a perk. But for me the problem rests more in that I think throttling a 20KB file to 2KB/s download rates is just.. really overkill. It makes updating all your addons a major pain.

Good to know you are developing an updater. Users love those things!
    It's a good bit of work, especially thinking up data representation on the server side for optimal client queries to the server. Shouldn't pose too much difficulty though, I have the benefit of having developed several handful of Client/Server programs. :P
    Last edited by Verea; 03-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Soulwalker

Just to clarify one small thing said about us, Riftui.com does not throttle bandwidth our gigabit pipes are wide open and you are basically limited by either your connection or our servers ability to push out the file (soon to switch to our CDN we use on that other game we host addons for, speeds will increase even more ;)). If you are having trouble with download speeds please let me know (dolby@mmoui.com)

Although we are part of ZAM its Cairenn and I that run the sites along with our great volunteers. We are a small operation.

We also host special projects that need more resources, just talk to us in irc on freenode #riftuidev
    Last edited by dolby; 03-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Default Different perspectives

Great to have another option but it's going to be a tough sell considering the great and often surprisingly personal service (if you have any problems the tech have always been quick to help via IRC in my experience) you get from the two big players.

From an addon developer perspective any loyalty I have to addon hosting sites is purely based on the services they supply and the reliability/resilience of said services. A key service for me is how easy it is for players to obtain and install my addons, which brings me to...

From a player perspective my primary concern is quickly and reliably obtaining addons and keeping them up to date. To be honest, running 2 updaters (I have an autohotkey script that act as a decent updater for RiftUI addons) is a pain, I doubt if I'd run 3 updaters, I don't like installing stuff on my PC for the sake of it.

Now... if there was an updater that could sync addons from all 3 sites... that would be a winner!

Finally, big thanks to all the hosting sites out there helping to support the addon developer community whether for commercial, self advertising and ego (nothing wrong with this, it's why most people blog and why some developers write addons, we all like seeing our names in lights), or true altruistic reasons. You all do a great job and we're very grateful.
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 03-18-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

+ Reply to Thread